Rutgers 13 Michigan 20 - Post Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rutgers 13 Michigan 20 - Post Game Thread

This should be an interesting game. Start of B10 play, Greg Schiano - a quality coach - what appears to be a well position coached and talented team if on-field results are a measure of that. v. an improved M football team that, seems to me, is exceeding expectations. I think, yes, "we've seen this movie and it doesn't end well" ....... has a different eding.

I think a -19 opening line is high. Rutgers will fight and are not the team that M crushed 77-0 at Rutgers pre-COVID. I was actually there. It rained almost the entire game and I stupidly stayed in a mostly unfilled stadium - that is small to start with - because it was one of those hard to find fun to watch games during the Harbaugh regime.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

If the spread is 19 it'd be crazy to not take the points.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

2-1 so far on M game predictions.
      Rutgers vs M is tricky. Schiano appears to have Rutgers back to playing competently. Last year's M @ Rutgers game was insane. McNamara led M on a wild comeback in the 2nd half. Schiano reminds me of Dantonio's MSU teams because they are tough, scrappy, and perhaps could easily play up to a good opponent.
      I want to see McNamara and the passing offense tested. Get to an efficient ~20 pass attempt game for McNamara and I will feel more comfortable.

M will win. Pulls away after the running game takes over late. M covers -19.0. Maybe Rutgers is a 7-5, 6-6 bowl team this season.
      M 40
      Rutgers 20

EDIT: 09-21-2021 with news of Rutgers suspensions.

2021 M Predictions:
      M 45, WM 28 ... M -16.5
      M 26, UW 20 ... UW +7
      M 55, NIU 17 ... M- 27.5
      Last edited by Cody_Russell; September 21, 2021, 10:27 AM.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

This is a solid game to take the points. Michigan will not blow out Rutgers. It will go into the 4th quarter before its fully decided.

I think Michigan will win. I just don't think its going to be anything like the first 3 games. Rutgers has a lot of film to look at, and they'll be prepared to stop M's running game. McNamara is going to have to be on point in the passing game to make the difference.

Comment

Rutgers at 6-6 would be impressive in the B1G East.

Power rankings site i use has M as 11 points favorites, which feels on the other end of where the spread should be. I don't think I've a clear picture on Rutgers, they've beaten two really bad teams and another bad team in Syracuse 17-7. They aren't 0-win B1G Rutgers like they used to be, Schiano should have them playing defense to the best of its talent level and M won't be able to just keep hammering rock and hope Rutgers keeps playing scissors. M might not score 40 but I don't think Rutgers has the offensive talent to pose much of a threat to keep it terribly close. M 35-17

Comment

You fellas have nothing to worry about here, Rutgers on the road will do the job.

Comment

Rutgers has two CBs suspended for the game. I'm going to change my prediction and give M one more TD. Therefore, M barely covers the spread at 19. Sure the spread will be M -21.5 or something by Saturday.

M 40
              Rutgers 20

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

38-10. Rutgers will win only 1 or 2 more games this season. Wish they were better so they could expose our weaknesses to address before Wisky. That game will show what direction M is going.
                I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

I'd still take the points.

Comment

Frankly, I don't think the Badgers are that good. I watched some video from the week before last. Early season and all that but there run game is a shadow of the past, needs more explosive plays (4.7ypc, well below the 5.3 ypc Cryst has maintained year on year.) and as is typically the case, defenses seem to be preventing those because Mertz just isn't a down field threat. Compared to the past, Wisconsin had both big run plays and an efficient offense. Does not seem they have that this season ..... they are a lumbering team of large men that don't look that impressive.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Penn State went into Madison and won, and they're getting a lot of love from the media for doing so. But, I think the Badgers (IIRC) turned over the ball 3 times in the red zone to help PSU along. So, I'll assume that any ball control problems they have will be solved before Michigan arrives. I agree that they don't appear to have the passing threat they once had, and they don't have a powerful RB like they normally do either.

But, its still in Madison, and Michigan is a horrible road team. M hasn't won there since 2001, and they needed a fluky play to win that one. Its nearly as bad as the record vs OSU.

Enjoy the good... expect the bad.

Comment

Small sample size, but Wisconsin's run defense appears to be decent. We will find out more in the Wisconsin vs ND (at Soldier Field) game.
                        I think M will have to show something with McNamara to win in Madison. The fact that M hasn't won there since 2001... It's something I won't feel confident in. Sure M could win, but its seems to be 50-50 right now. Think it's nice that Wisconsin plays a big game vs ND the week prior to the M game because maybe there is a "big game hangover."

Not to ignore Rutgers. Take care of business vs them first.
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                          Frankly, I don't think the Badgers are that good. I watched some video from the week before last. Early season and all that but there run game is a shadow of the past, needs more explosive plays (4.7ypc, well below the 5.3 ypc Cryst has maintained year on year.) and as is typically the case, defenses seem to be preventing those because Mertz just isn't a down field threat. Compared to the past, Wisconsin had both big run plays and an efficient offense. Does not seem they have that this season ..... they are a lumbering team of large men that don't look that impressive.
                          Please help me out. Mertz was a 5* top 5 in the nation QB. Yet, I have seen nothing but a medium service QB. Still waiting for a great downfield throw. Think I saw one last year.

Comment

Jeff, here's the latest prices on Stubhub for Saturday's game against Rutgers:

https://www.stubhub.com/michigan-wol...apType=section

Get in the door price is currently $18 (plus fees, of course). It was $16 this morning. Gads of tickets to be had for under $30. I bring it up in response to that article from MGo that claimed Stubhub is the reason games won't be sold out because they create an artificial price floor. My experience with them is it's always been a free market but they do gouge both the buyer and seller on fees. On these $20 tickets, the seller will probably see $12-$15 and the buyer will pay about $30.

That said, this is why I have no interest in ever buying season tickets and paying for a seat license and all that bullshit.

Take a gander at the actual prices:

https://mgoblue.evenue.net/cgi-bin/n...eId=ev_umichse

$90 to $110 plus $6 per ticket fee for sidelines, $80 + $4 for corners. Tickets on Stubhub right this minute are 25% of face.
                            Last edited by Mike; September 22, 2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Rutgers has played pretty weak opposition to this point, and that has to be taken into account. Having said that, here's where the Scarlet Knights rank nationally in some key areas coming into this game:

Third down defense: 2nd.

Fewest penalties: 3rd (Penalty yardage, 4th)

Turnover margin: 3rd(like Michigan, Rutgers has not committed a turnover yet this season)

Scoring defense: 8th(tied with Michigan)

Net punting: 1st

Opponent first downs: 10th

By the numbers, at least, this is a much-improved team, and one that doesn't figure to do much to beat itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X