Michigan 21, Penn State 17 - Post Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan 21, Penn State 17 - Post Game Thread

As noted in the IU post game thread, PSU opens as a 1.5 point favorite. Every team is nursing injuries of some sort. I think this just sort of cancels the injury bugs as it pertains to performance out. We just don't know enough about injury status of what we'd consider key players (e.g., Corum and Clifford) other than speculation so, I'm just dismissing it and letting the players move on, deal with it o if a key player can't play - next man up.

M has played well enough to win in their road games. Sure they lost to MSU but I don't think being in MSU's stadium and dealing with fan noise had anything to with that loss. I'm pretty sure the coaches are telling the players to stick to what they can control and do well...... and they do some things well. Like running the ball for example. It's been spotty but when it's working, it adds the kind of control of the game that Harbaugh thrives on. PSU ranks 49th in rushing D, allowing 3.56ypc and 137 rush ypg.

McNamara is good because he doesn't make mistakes and doesn't turn the ball over. He's also good because the OL's pass-protection has been above average. McNamara is completing 63% of his passing attempts and throwing for 217 ypg with a decidedly upward trend in the last 3 games (and I judge that as scheme not because they are playing from behind). PSU/Clfford is right around those same numbers but slightly higher (not enough to conclude they have a better passing offense). I can go on. This offense is playing well enough to win on the road and when the fancy stats show up later in the week, I think that will be clear.

But then there is randomness: bad penalties, oh-shits, fumbles, the refs being inconsistent with game altering calls, and more. I think M suffers a lot of this some of it self inflicted and if there is anything that will keep this team from winning in HV, its randomness. That bad shit seems to happen to M in our minds in an outsized fashion, if that is true, the laws of averages should cause more good things to happen than bad in HV. Are all those bad things we see happening to M because of Harbaugh or his OC and DC? Man, I just don't know. I can make a case for, yes, they have their hands on the wheel so, there is that.

BTW and FWIW, talking heads are predicting M may move up to #5 in the CFP rankings late Tuesday for a lot of good reasons, not many having to do with M taking care of business v. IU and previouly #3 ranked MSU getting thrashed by Purdue and making space. It's about the performance of other teams just above or immediately below them fighting for the top 4 CFP spots and how the committee is looking at all of them. M seems to fare pretty well there.

TBC, none of this matters until M beats PSU this Saturday, Maryland next Saturday and MSU loses to OSU. IOW, just take care of business and lets hope that OSU at Michigan on the 27th will decide the B10E champion.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 13, 2021, 03:40 PM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

FRANKLIN!!! 18 HARBAUGH!!! 15
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

I think you're being kind, oh wait what did I just say? Forget it stfu

Comment

My prediction: Michigan kicks its 8th field goal of the game to go up 24-21 late. A blown coverage allows Jahan Dotson to score a TD as time expires. PSU wins 27-24.

Comment

Well, that's the most positive sort of thing about 2021 M football I've heard from you in a while.😁
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Odds Shark has M a 2.5 favorite, Caesar's is pick'em, and Draft Kings has PSU a one point favorite. Over/unders are 48-51 depending on the book. The only thing consistent is that a close game is expected.
            I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

Thing is, he may not be that far off in that kind of a prediction. I like Jake Moody, but we're seeing way too much of him kicking FG's. We need to see more of him kicking XP's.
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

M 30, Pennsylvania State 20
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

M 24, Penn State 23.

Coin flip game, whoever gets the big plays, the bounces (turnovers) and gets in the end zone instead of settling for field goals wins the game. Afraid of M trying to cover Dotson, he was a favorite of mine as a recruit and he's even better than I thought he'd be.

Comment

Agree. M wins.
                    M 22
                    PSU 19

Why? All about following your heart over mind.

I won’t be able to watch the game because of air travel. Last time that happened and I missed a big Michigan game… M beat Louisville in the NCAA basketball tourney in 2017.
                    Quality logic if you ask me.

Objectively speaking… yeah, probably would say Penn State has the edge.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Objectively speaking… yeah, probably would say Penn State has the edge.
                      Actually, I don't think they do. My quick breeze through NCAA stats showed M with some decided advantages and an FPI > PSU's. Not much so, the fancy stats will predict a close game. But, M "objectively" has better numbers.

I think that objectivity gets clouded by randomness and M's penchant to fail to over come those. Most notably is what builds to some obviously questionable coaching issues when the game remains competitive in the 4th and is outside Harbaugh's comfort zone of control..

Comment

It’s significant to have an understanding of M’s injury situation this week. Who’s in, who’s out. Injuries that players are dealing with.

McNamara, Corum, Green, All, Anthony, Henning, Edwards, and Wilson.

Some season stats could be slightly misleading because of the expected loss of production with this sudden wave of injuries.
                        Luckily most of these are minor injuries.
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

A lot depends on who is available and who is not.

There were a lot of people who left the game with injuries on Saturday. Probably the most important ones being Corum and Green. Corum is a must, as far as I'm concerned. Haskins is the best RB we've had in here in years, but I don't want him to have to carry the entire load against PSU. Corum or Edwards need to be available.

Green is probably done. If its a collarbone, he's probably going to miss spring practice as well. I think there may be enough experienced personnel to cover for him.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Mgo's pod-cast this morning talked about a line forming to get into the injury tent and noted that the loss of Corum and Anthony probably necessitated a change in the offensive game plan in game v. IU. This week's practice will adjust for those losses I presume. But, I tend to agree with you, Cody, that what Corum and Anthony bring to the table is significant and without them in the line-up, the offense could be hobbled.

Haskins, however, is one of those backs that gets better with live game reps. I do think that CFB teams don't really have one back getting 25-30 carries these days. It gets spread around to limit contact and the resultant injury potential. Having Haskins the only reliable back available is risky. I think C. Johnson and Sanistril have gotten better as receivers as the season has gone on. If Anthony is out, those two are capable receivers that will be worked into passing schemes we've seen well executed already.

Like I said, every team is dealing with injuries in November. PSU doesn't have better depth than M has and are probably dealing with the same impactful injuries that M is. OSU, OTH, is a different story.

Comment

Well, Ohio State just played a game with a surefire first round draft pick and was fooling around with its OL b/c one their tackles "wasn't feeling well" on the morning of the game.

Meh.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                              X