No announcement yet.

Michigan 59, Maryland 18 -- Enjoying the Last Win of the Season Postgame Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan 59, Maryland 18 -- Enjoying the Last Win of the Season Postgame Thread

M opened earlier this week as a 15 point favorite. It's down to around 2 TDs. Based on Maryland's last 6 games, where they have gone 1-5, that's probably about right. All the factors that revolve around how Harbaugh and his teams play road games are still present. There's been a bit more aggression but M plays to burn clock and keep distance between M and it's opponent; more so on the road than at home. Historically, I've called it a shackle on the offense and it has been to blame for terrible road losses during JH's 6 previous seasons. But it's working this season for a number of reasons not the least of which is that Harbaugh's game strategy which is old school and plays to the D and special teams has a D and special teams that are actually good. So, M goes into an away game v. Maryland with the baggage I just described that appears to be off-set by decent QB play, a good running game and quality defense and STs. Well, that's why M is 9-1

Having read some Maryland previews, this game has the potential to incorporate some ass-hole puckering plays by Maryland. That's because Maryland features Taulia Tagovailoaat QB. I've read he's not quite as good at Martinez but close and that's the comparison to go on in assessing his impact on the game. Martinez gave M some trouble and you can expect Tagovailoa to do the same. He's a legit run threat but he's in a Locksley offense that features 40-50 passing plays per game and while the receiver room has suffered injuries to starters there's no shortage of talent and Tagovailoa has a knack for throwing bullets on the run - whihc he usually is and will be facing Hutchinson and Ojabo.

The thing about Tagovailoa is that, unlike Martinez who hasn't made a lot of mistakes this season, he can be pressured into them and then he tries to play hero ball. He fails there. So, M's D to be effective against Maryland's offense, pressure him and at the same time, keep contain. McDonald know this. That Maryland's OL isn't great I'd expect to see a lot of 3 and 4 man rushes that will hit home and less 5s because they won't be needed to flush the guy and instead LBs will be available to keep his gains to a minimum or better yet, stuff him, but we'll see.

I've not read much about Maryland's D but what I have read is that they are bad. At #117 in total yards given up to opponents, they're giving up nearly 300 yards of passing. A bit better in rush defense, they stand at #78 giving up 164 ypg to opponents. Good news for M that has problems converting short yardage to first downs, Maryland ranks #117 giving up 45% of 3rd down tries! That's fuck-ton.

I don't think Harbaugh is going to let Gattis go nutz having McNamara throwing the ball 30 or more times even though Maryland's strength on D is against the run. That would be fun. Gattis is going to man-ball it with Haskins. It will be frustrating as Maryland will do what every other opponent has done, bring a S or 2 up to get numbers. Won't matter, we won't see audibles, we'll see the usual bang head into wall sort of play-calling we should be used to by know. I'd really like to see M use the passing game inside the RZ - that could be a feature. But it's going to be predominantly man-ball. This will shorten the game as well as beat down Maryland's front 7 but M's offense will look unbalanced and not score a lot of points - like in the low 30s. It could score a bunch and that would be nice but it's not going to happen.

M 34, Maryland 17.
    Last edited by Hannibal; November 20, 2021, 07:10 PM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Jeff, I totally agree with your assessment of Taulia. Maryland moved the ball well against MSU but pressure at the right times totally rattled Taulia.

Comment

I feel pretty confident that this game isn’t a trap because Maryland is bleeding with WR injuries.
      Maryland’s #1WR Dontay Demus, #3WR Jeshaun Jones, and #4WR Marcus Fleming are out due to injuries.
      For a Mike Locksley passing offense, that’s a tough blow.

As for the Maryland defense… Iowa’s offense looked great vs that defense. That’s really all you need to know there.

M 43
      Maryland 19

The goal here is to stay healthy. We saw how devastating that Chase Winovich injury was heading late into the 2019 season.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Fear the snapping turtles...
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

About those Maryland turtles this season…
          Yes, this is an accurate portrayal…

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Maryland has a bunch of corners out and their defense is generally really bad. We should score in the high 30s to low 40s. Little Tua has talent but he's very inconsistent. One drive he'll be dropping in dimes, the next drive he'll be missing wide open receivers. I like Mike Locksley as a play caller and a recruiter, but as a head coach, he's not very good.

We should win by 20 or so.

Comment

Forgot to mention this and Cody already has. Corum may be practicing. Keep him on the sideline. That goes for Anthony too - he did come in for some plays v. PSU. Keep him on the sideline. And yes, when Winovich went down last season and then tried to gut it out v. OSU it was a disaster. I don't know how you limit his contact. He is an integral part of McDonald's defense and against Maryland and Taulia Tagovailoa you don't want to let Maryland keep it close and steal it due to some late game stupid call by the refs (something you have to plan on happening - seriously - during every game).

It would be nice if M could build a 3 or 4 score lead and just start subbing the hell out of the LB's DL and OL. M has some decent depth here, not great experience and that usually shows when the bench starts playing, but good enough to give a rest to as many starters as possible.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

If we've got Edwards we should be fine at RB.

Comment

Feed Edwards and Dunlap! They could both rush for 200+ on Maryland.
                  Need to save Haskins for NEXT week.
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

They did a decent job bottling up Kenneth Walker, they tried to man up the Spartans wide receivers and Payton Thorne picked them apart as he can do with pinpoint accuracy.

The Wolverines would be wise to follow that, let Cade McNamara loose. He should be throwing a lot more. This is a good game to do that, trying to ground them down, booooooring. Get into this century, not a chance Maryland beats you. Wing it all around the fucking yard.

Comment

.........trying to ground them down, booooooring.
                      Unfortunately, that's baked into Jim Harbaugh's old-school approach to Michigan football.

Comment

Nothing will change in Michigan's offensive approach. Gattisbaugh's approach to nearly every road game this year has been to bang away in the running game, and shorten the game by waiting until less than 5 seconds on the 40 second clock to snap. They're not going to give Maryland any more offensive posessions than they have to. Its worked fairly well, and until it blows up in their face, then I'm fine with it.

I'd like to see Haskins get most of the day off, to save him for next week, but I'm not sure that can be done. He's the top offensive threat on the team, and I don't think they can leave him on the bench very long. It'd be nice if Corum was available, but I suspect if he's going to be available at all this season, it will be next week. It'd be nice if Edwards could step up.

If McNamara is allowed to pass, I'd like to see him involve the TE's a bit more. The TE drag route that got the winning points vs PSU is available all the time. Anthony and Sainrastil need to be involved as well, but again, GattisBaugh probably won't let McNamara throw any more than he has to. We didn't see McCarthy at all vs PSU. Maybe he will play more this week.

On paper, this should be a M win to the tune of about 38 - 17. I suspect it will be a bit closer than that.

MI ... 29
                        MD...20
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Unfortunately, that's baked into Jim Harbaugh's old-school approach to Michigan football.
                          Maybe so, instead of channeling Bo, he should channel Urban.

He has finally found a quarterback, he should be using him.

Comment

Maryland is baaaaaad. 45-13
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Maybe so, instead of channeling Bo, he should channel Urban.

He has finally found a quarterback, he should be using him.
                              Even if Harbaugh suddenly became interested in fashioning his offense around a passing game because you're right, McNamara is good, his idea of one of a CFB passing game is about as antiquated as what we suspect is his baked in game strategy. What do I mean by that?

Well, most observers think that M's passing game does not require the QB to make post-snap reads. Devin Gardner who does his show on WTKA pounds his idea that McNamara misses too many receivers who are just as open, maybe in better positions on the field than his primary. IOW, Gattis has a play book with passing plays that are for all intent and purpose heavily scripted. There may be pre-snap changes based on what the QB (and the booth) sees is the defensive formation. But that is a purely pre-snap read offense where the QB knows exactly where the ball is going subject to changing targets and maybe routes based on the defense. If Cade keeps it, no one that's doing post game analysis thinks he's reading anything. That explains why there isn't any RPOs or ROs, well, we've seen plays that we suspect are those kinds of plays, spoiler, they aren't. We've suspected that there might be a sprinkling of RPO but they are few and far between and look janky when they're called or if it's a designed QB run it's not a RPO kind of play with observers complaining Cade missed the read. Again, spoiler, he wasn't reading anyone. Both M QBs do a fair amount of PA and there is a backfield look before and after the snap that threatens an RPO or the RO. Brian at mgo has characterized those as fake gives to air because no one that would take the ball is in the vicinity of the fake.

Even when McCarthy is in and we've speculated he's running RO keepers, no one with a clue is thinking he's actually reading anything either. Oh, it seems like he may be doing this and there is probably some experimentation with reads but this isn't now and is not going to become a RO/RPO offense. It's another indication of Harbaugh's Neanderthal ball. He's very obviously not enticed by or adopting modern offensive football concepts. Where he's not channeling Bo is with the deep ball offense that's definitely a sort of modern CFB part of M's offense but, what, that get's called maybe 4X in a game and is quickly shelved if it looks like it isn't going to work - which is often.

Harbaugh is who he is and I think it limits M football's ceiling. While I'm not altogether sanguine about it, I get it and it's working pretty well in 2021. This is a good football team running Jim Harbaugh's version of CFB. I think getting McDonald who turned out to be a pretty savvy DC for his background and experience fitting his concepts into the talent and skill sets that M has on the roster has been a big deal and is probably 75% responsible for M's 9-1 record.
                              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 18, 2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X