Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan v. Georgia, Orange Bowl, Miami FL, Friday, 12/31/21, 7:30pm, ESPN/ESPN Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan v. Georgia, Orange Bowl, Miami FL, Friday, 12/31/21, 7:30pm, ESPN/ESPN Video

Watched both games. M can play with UGA. Eyeball check indicates that M's D is better up front than Alabama's. The back ends and special teams are a wash. The variety of M's offense we've seen v. osu and in the 2nd half against Iowa is eye-popping. Iowa stoned M's run game, UGA may do the same but that didn't and won't stop M's offense from moving the sticks and scoring. Later for how many points.

At this point, I'd say M's offense may be playing at the highest efficiency in terms of points per play among the four NC contenders. I'll have to check that this coming week along with 3rd down conversion rate. With McCarthy taking snaps, M is a very difficult offense to scheme one's defense around. M's and UGA's offensive style are nearly identical and OL's look comparable. M's DTs are vulnerable but Mike McDonald has done the best job of any Michigan DC I've seen work in adjusting his defense to the strengths and weaknesses of his players. I don't know the QBRs for Stetson Bennett and Cade McNamara but I doubt they are very far apart. Right now, Bennett, like McNamara has TE targets they like. It's a big part of both Kirby Smart's and Jim Harbaugh's offenses. More later.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

We don’t have the QB and WRs to do to Georgia what Alabama did. We’re more like a rich man’s Kentucky. That monstrous DT is going to create lots of problems. Georgia is the obvious favorite — should probably be laying 8 points or so.

Comment

UGA favored by 7.5 in opening line.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

I’d lay the points. GA might be overconfident but they have gads more talent at most of the positions.

Comment

I’ve mostly been spot on re M in 2021. I’ll think on it a lot more, but my initial feeling is Georgia 27-17. They are a lot like M, but have better players almost everywhere.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

The line opened this morning with Georgia as a 7.5 point favorite. Sounds about right. I could see it going higher as we approach game day.

Cade McNamara will be the most overlooked and underestimated QB in the playoff field. That's a good thing. I hope everyone totally forgets him.

To me, this is an intriguing matchup. Georgia has a massive offensive line that can move, and they have RB's that hit the holes hard, and then turn on the speed in the 2nd level. But Michigan has a tough front seven, with guys who recover well, and get off their blocks. I think this is the key matchup.

Up until about Week 5, I would have made this a Georgia blowout. Now, .. I think Michigan can hang with them. I've learned this season not to underestimate these guys. Even if things look a bit shaky at the beginning .. (see: last night)

I don't think Michigan can manhandle the Dawgs like Bama did, but could they shorten the game, keep it close and then steal a win? I dunno.

Georgia is tough. No doubt about it. Tougher than anyone M has faced this year.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

I will have a final prediction in a couple weeks. Plenty of time to dive into analysis of this game.

Prelim thoughts. Not a fan of the matchup and the narrative heading into the game from Georgia’s side. It worries me.
              Georgia has an elite defense against the run. The engine of M’s offense is the run game.
              Georgia’s offense is really good. If the Georgia OLine makes things comfortable, I can see them having an easy time moving the ball on M. Don’t think they use up-tempo offense, so that’s a plus. George Pickens gets 25 more days of rest by the way.
              The narrative? Georgia coming off of a big loss is something I don’t like. They have motivational talking points to have their players hyped up for the game. I hope the narrative paints a picture as M being the underdog in these 3+ weeks. Stenson Bennett is going to only hear negative comments about him in this time off. I can see Bennett being fired up to prove people wrong.
              M can win, but they will need to bring their “A” game. Georgia has the advantage when it comes to talent. If M comes out flat… well, it could look like Manti Te’o’s ND being demolished by Alabama. OR MSU being destroyed by Alabama.
              I sometimes worry about these college football teams like ND, MSU, and Washington that clearly haven’t recruited as well as the elite programs.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Both UGA and M run power offenses. Kirby has Bennett taking more shots downfield than Gattisbaugh has McNamara take. That probably sums up the comparisons of the two offense pretty well.

I think it is right to call this a contest of strength, size and will between the OLs and DL's of these two teams. If McDonald can dial up the pressures he's been dialing up and as confusing as these are to opposing OL's and QBs, the strength of M's pressure metric may over-come the size and power advantage UGA has on both lines. It will likewise make it very hard on Bennett to sit back there and have plays develop and WRs get open.

Comment

Will definitely need a masterful Macdonald defensive game plan.

I think M has to go into this game with a similar strategy as the Iowa game. Stop the Georgia run first. Get Georgia’s offense in obvious passing downs. This is where M’s pass rush and coverage needs to come through.
                  Yeah…. Make fun of Bennett now. That will just add fuel to the fire for a QB that CAN look good if things are comfortable around him. Macdonald’s job is to disrupt that comfort.

Bennett is going to have to listen to 25 days of people poking at him for an underwhelming game vs Alabama. He’s coming into the M game with the “prove the doubters wrong” mentality, guaranteed.
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Amazing how the idea of a rematch has worked against Michigan both times. in 2006, the big reason Michigan was not playing OSU is because no one wanted to see a rematch (when they should have been in there). Now, because there they can't have a rematch of Alabama/UGA. Cinny MUST be a #4 seed and of course, Alabama HAS to be the #1.
                    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Bama is #1 because they are the best team in the country.
                      Michigan is #2 because they won their CCG and UGA did not.
                      Cincy is #4 because Notre Dame sucks.

​​​​​​​Any questions?
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Any questions?
                        Yes.

When are you going to STFU and do your manly duty to sire a male child?

​​​​​​​Asking for a friend.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

My varmints have swimmin' in a circle since "the accident" dumbass...I told yer wife that the other night...do you guys not communicate or what?
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                            Bama is #1 because they are the best team in the country.
                            Michigan is #2 because they won their CCG and UGA did not.
                            Cincy is #4 because Notre Dame sucks.

Any questions?
                            I don't think it makes any difference who M plays in the first round. It was talent who offered that M is going to get rolled by either of the two top teams in the SEC. I do think M can play with UGA but the thought of Bryce Young throwing deep to his bevy of the fastest mo fo WRs in CFB right now is some scary shit. I think it was Holden (a DPJ clone only faster) and Mitchie that have the most receptions - not sure as I don't watch Alabama that closely. I know Mitchie was injured v. UGA and went out at some point and didn't return. Those two were tough to defend. Mitchie was getting 5 yards of separation on pure verts v. UGA CBs before he left the game.

I don't think that if M gets by UGA and meets Alabama in Indy for the NC that they are going to get by Heisman Trophy winner Bryce Young to Holden/Mitchie ....... and that is just three position players that are more talented than anything M has on their roster.

I'm not even thinking about that seemingly unwinnable contest more than a month out. Let's see if M can get by UGA and I think they can. Alabama exposed Kirby Smart and UGA who had a poo schedule claiming signature wins v. ND and Clemson who both sucked in September. Alabama undressed the imposters and UGA got trucked. Well, that's a bit harsh, they play good football about like M does. Should be a good contest and the spread is probably about right.

Comment

I think you match up much better against UGA than Bama...but UGA by 10-14.

Bama when rolling is scary with Bryce. If they had one of their vintage defenses this year...whoa. They can be outscored as A&M proved...Auburn had a great scheme to slow down Bryce the worked for 59 minutes.
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                              X