BTCCG Michigan 43. Purdue 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTCCG Michigan 43. Purdue 22

I've not watched a Purdue game. Have relied on Cody's insights. I thought his comment that Purdue is a finesse team v. Michigan a physical team - a difference in styles of play - pretty much sums it up. There will be plenty of analysis this week of unit match-ups and that's what will decide this game with defensive unit match-ups key. As Linesman has already mentioned, Purdue can be a spoiler and has been in the BIG. The Boilers upset Michigan B2B in 2008/9. M's last game with Purdue was in 2017. M won 28-10. M was led by John O'korn who actually had a decent game (18/26/260/1/1) subbing in for Wilton Speight who injured his L shoulder in the first quarter. Chris Evans, Karan HIgdon and Ty Isaac combined to rush for 174y combined. It was at this point that everyone was thinking John O'korn was going to lead M football into the spread age with his skill-set in RO offenses. That never materialized.

These are very different teams that will be meeting next Saturday, especially the Jim Harbaugh coached M. In 2017 Purdue was led by first year HC Jeff Brohm's and he introduced Purdue's style of flamboyant play that continues today. M opens as a 17.5 pt favorite. Purdue has had some nice wins in an 8-4 season in 2022, most notably at Illinois, 31-24 where O'Connell had a good day and Purdue's D held Illinois' Chase brown to 103 yards ...... but Brown suffered an ankle injury in this game. If that doesn't happen, Bert probably wins this game. They also lost to Iowa. The story then is that against two comparable defenses to M, Purdue lost. I think that will be the story in Indy.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 30, 2022, 03:28 PM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Purdue vs M in a championship game is a once or twice in my lifetime game. Can’t wait. Rooting for M as usual, but it’s a bittersweet and hedging feeling when these two programs play against each other. I went to the M at Purdue game in 2004 and hated Purdue at the time. Little did I know that Purdue would be a school that I would attend for 3 years (eventually graduating at IU after transferring 😅).

Purdue has been extremely volatile under Jeff Brohm. Finesse style that loves to pass. Seems to play better as an underdog. Therefore, it’s possible this game will be competitive early on. Aidan O’Connell is a very precise QB when he has time. I think M’s DBs are athletic enough to limit this Purdue passing attack. There will be at least 2 Purdue trick plays. Watch out when Purdue’s offense is near midfield. If there’s one game to revisit, Purdue randomly shutdown Penn State’s running game in week 1. Ron English’s Purdue defense might flash that, but we’ll see.

Ultimately, M is too good for Purdue to win this game. M’s trenches should dominate. Rest Corum and wrap up the #2 seed. Purdue is a sneaky good prep opponent for TCU’s offensive style.

M 30
    Purdue 17
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

HARBAUGH!!!!!!! 43 BROHM!!!!!!! 20
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Purdue is a sneaky good prep opponent for TCU’s offensive style.
        This is an especially good comment but I want M to not be looking ahead and there is outsized potential for that in this game.

In an early match-up question, on paper, it appears, Purdue's OL are comprised of rotating guys - good depth but just guys. There's no dominant tackle, guard or center player that I hear mentioned among PFF listings. OTH, M's DL has been good, with a couple of dudes lining up there including Mazi Smith and Mason Graham. Minter's D schemes are hard for CFB QBs and he has M's D playing at a high level on the front and back-end. You saw the nation's #1 passing offense run by a Heisman trophy candidate cj stroud (takes a step back after yesterday's osu and USC performances) get held in check with stroud folding in the late 2nd half when he needed to do his thing and failed. I suspect the combination of pressures that Minter dialed up and coverages that it appeared stroud had a lot of difficulty with will present the same problems for the Brohms and O'Connell. I just looked up Purdue's OC and noted that Jeff's son is listed as the OC/QBs and that Brohm uses the same approach to coordinating his offense as Harbaugh does - lots of guys. Interesting.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

I said it yesterday. When Michigan shows up like they did yesterday, they can play with anyone in the country, including Georgia. And by show up, I mean the total package. Not just players performing, but coaches getting the guys ready to play, and working in a game plan to put the team in a position to win. Minter, Moore and Weiss have had banner years as assistant coaches. Unfortunately, this is getting to be well known in coaching circles, so we better enjoy them while we have them.

If Michigan, as a team, and as a coaching staff, shows up like they did yesterday in Columbus, they'll sail right by the Boilers. If they're into chest thumping and looking ahead, then the Boilers could be a problem. I don't think that will happen. Another thing that the coaches have done is to keep the guys focused. They don't feed their egos. They keep the team's mind on the ultimate goals, and the egos take a back seat.

And there is a newfound toughness as a program, both mentally and physically. The guys don't quit. They had every reason to quit just a week ago against Illinois, but found a way to come back when things were going wrong. And, Illinois was proving to be a tough out.

I'll also have to rely on Cody's evaluation of Purdue because I haven't seen them play either. But, I expect M's defense to pressure O'Connell and force him to throw early. I'm getting more confident in Michigan's ability to cover receivers 1 on 1. Especially Sainristil, yesterdays' defensive MVP. O'Connell isn't going to get a lot of time, so whatever throws he gets away are going to have to be spot on.

First impression is that I'd expect M to win by about 2 touchdowns. I don't know of anything else that would make me change my mind at this point.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

I said it yesterday. When Michigan shows up like they did yesterday, they can play with anyone in the country, including Georgia

Ummm...no. Not UGA.
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Glad to see you finally coming around Liney ...... BPONE exorcised.Took a while.

Comment

BERT!!!!!!! almost beat you in A². You can't play toe to toe with UGA.
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                  I said it yesterday. When Michigan shows up like they did yesterday, they can play with anyone in the country, including Georgia

Ummm...no. Not UGA.
                  Ummmm ...... your football predictions have been in the shitter of late. Liney is right, you are wrong.

Comment

Go ahead and place that M-UGA bet then. Take M and the points and see what that gets ya.
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Ummm...no. Not UGA.
                      I didn't say they'd beat Georgia. But I think the game would be much closer than last year.

And honestly? OSU was a 9 point favorite playing at home, with all the talent north of Tuscaloosa on the bench. Michigan's recruiting has been "meh" when compared to OSU. Yet, Michigan was the team that was well prepared, and executed.

Georgia is still college ball. They're a great team and a great organization. Just like OSU. They can also have bad days.

Right place, right time, right circumstances, .. yes. I believe M could win.
                      Last edited by lineygoblue; November 27, 2022, 11:32 AM.

Comment

How'd that go last year?
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

How'd that go last year?
                          We all know it totally sucked.

All I'm saying is that this is college ball played by 18-22 year old kids. They are no different in Georgia than they are in Michigan, Ohio or Nebraska. They can have days when they'll blow your socks off, and they can have days when they look like they have no idea how to play the game.

I'm not knocking Georgia. Right now, today, I'd make Georgia a 12-15 point favorite over Michigan, anywhere the game is played.

But I also thought OSU would easily cover 2 TD's yesterday.

although it might be fun to make Georgia come to play in ann arbor in the middle of January
                          Last edited by lineygoblue; November 27, 2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

34-3 when they called the ahem Dawgs off...pun intended...heh...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

If M rests all of their injured players like they did vs BERT, I could see this game being close in the 4th quarter. Injuries is a factor to pay close attention to. Excluding Corum… obviously rest Corum.

I should reiterate something about Purdue’s offense … they have found more success running the ball of late this season. Freshman RB Devin Mockobee has been a pleasant surprise. Historically under Brohm though, it’s been all about the passing game. It’s something to be mindful of, but I don’t think Purdue will find that balance vs M’s defense.

TE Payne Durham and WR Charlie Jones are quality possession targets, but lack game changing speed.
                              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                              X