Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yup, you have to add another womens sport to compensate which is peanuts relative to building a hockey arena which is a massive expense.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      you also have to examine it from a title IX perspective
      good point-hadn't thought of that!

But I do know that not all Big Ten schools have the same "roster" of sports programs, largely due to Title IX concerns.

That---and the need for an arena suitable to Hockey (along with the related investment and costs in this era's lousy economy) are probably the biggest stumbling blocks to having a full 12-team membership for hockey.

Comment

• It'll be difficult to find 2 more hockey members, let alone a full 12-team league.

Comment

• Northwestern would probably have the easiest time, because there has GOT to be an ice arena nearby that they could use for games and practices. After them, any other Big Ten school that doesn't already have an ice arena would be hard pressed to form a team. And yes, you'd have to include women's hockey as well. Michigan does have a women's hockey team.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
            Northwestern would probably have the easiest time, because there has GOT to be an ice arena nearby that they could use for games and practices. After them, any other Big Ten school that doesn't already have an ice arena would be hard pressed to form a team. And yes, you'd have to include women's hockey as well. Michigan does have a women's hockey team.
            I'm wondering, though, what kind of room exists in the ATHLETICS BUDGET @ Northwestern. Keep in mind, they're a private institution, unlike the rest of the Big Ten----and they definitely don't have the revenue streams of schools such as U of M, PSU, Nebraska, and osu, nor the illegal benefits schemes that exist at osu to lure talent in.

Comment

• I don't know about other Big Ten schools but Michigan currently has one more women's program than they do men's. I believe men's lacrosse - who just won a national championship at the club level - will begin competing at the varsity level next year to make 13 sports each for men and women.

Michigan does not have a women's hockey program.

Liney is right about NW having access to an ice arena nearby. It doesn't have to be an on-campus facility. A school could lease the rink for their games. Illinois-Chicago used to compete in the CCHA before dropping the sport in 1996. I'm not sure where they played but that could be a possibility. NW probably doesn't have the athletic budget to build a new arena.

Comment

• hmmm .. Michigan must have dropped Women's hockey, because they did have a women's team not long ago.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• For those with Directv, the game is on channel 681 today at 5:30PM.

Go Blue!

Comment

• What's this losing to Nebraska business? I didn't even know they played hockey.

We need to turn this game around.

Comment

• not a good 1st period for us---down 2-0 very early, we never really looked like we were figuring out the Neb/Omaha defense. They consistantly beat us to the puck at both ends of the ice. They always seemed a step or two faster than our skaters. Every time we had the puck it seemed to be bouncing just out of our control, while UNO on the other hand handled and passed the puck very crisply most of the time. IMO, we're lucky not to be down by 3 or 4 at this point.

Red and the boys have some things to figure out between now and the start of the 2nd period in order to keep us in the game. There's still plenty of time, but it's not going to be easy.

Comment

• Goal MEEEEECHIGAN!!!!!!!!!

Camparusso scored just over a minute into the 2nd. Now down just 2-1

Comment

• YESSSSSS!!! Kevin Lynch just knots it up ---now 2-2, just seconds after we killed a penalty. Looking much better for us at the midway point of the 2nd period, we look like a much more involved team since the start of the 2nd period. Pretty much stopped giving up the puck under pressure, passing much much better finding the open skater!

Comment

• BTW, the game is streaming live----go to either ESPN3 or Mgoblue.com to watch! Also live on the radio on WTKA, of course!

Comment

• M going on the power play...

Comment

• About to start the 3rd period in just a few minutes, we're still tied 2-2. We really took over all aspects of the game in the 2nd period, now have to keep the momentum going when we get back on the ice .

Go Blue!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X