This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
    I think a lot of Izzo's blue-chippers haven't really made leaps of improvement while at spartieland. I mean that in regards to going from being an elite HS talent to being an NBA talent.
    Marcus Taylor and Paul Davis immediately come to mind. Shannon Brown has carved out a niche for himself as a energy guy off the bench but he's not close to being a star. Draymon Green could end up being a Poor Man's (sane) Ron Artest, I suppose.

Maybe I'm forgetting somebody but it seems like there hasn't been much since JRich and Fat Zack came into the league and both those guys have had reps as being selfish players.
    This is true too, I am shocked at how many good recruits either don't show "high end recruit" progress at all under Izzo (Roe/Payne/Gray/Nix) or show early flashes only to regress (Raymar Morgan,Summers) for whatever reasons. Some of it is bad luck, some if it may be Izzo being too stubborn to let these players make a mistake. His big men always seem unsure of themselves. Unless they have a natural basketball IQ like Green, they seem lost and have no confidence.

If Payne and Dawson don't turn out to be studs you have to wonder how that will effect recruiting of the top prospects. That could hurt him more than Indiana and Michigan coming back onto the scene.
    Last edited by Deuce; December 22, 2011, 11:44 AM.
    The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
      Taylor was just stupid and left early, no? IIRC he led the league in assists as a soph.
      It sounds like he may have had more raw talent but didn't have the work ethic that Darius has. I may be jumping ahead of myself in thinking that Darius will make the lakes but the early indications are encouraging. It sounds like Mike Brown likes him a lot and both Derek Fisher and Steve Blake are past their prime.

Comment

• Well I thought about that in this offseason and there was never a hint of Izzo-Pistons talk, so I'm assuming it wouldn't happen. And, yeah -- I like Frank too and hope he's the long-term solution. We'll see, but I like how his Nets teams handled themselves in the playoffs.

As for Izzo, sure -- if that's what he wants, the Clips would be a good candidate. Unclear what he really wants, though. He doesn't strike me as a Phil Jackson type of frontrunner. And particularly given his style, he may want to jump on earlier in the process -- with a team that has a young star to build around and some roster flexibility. Now, for example, Flip Saunders is a fine, fine basketball mind and I wish him nothing but the best. But I could see Izzo there in 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deuce View Post
          This is true too, I am shocked at how many good recruits either don't show "high end recruit" progress at all under Izzo (Roe/Payne/Gray/Nix) or show early flashes only to regress (Raymar Morgan,Summers) for whatever reasons. Some of it is bad luck, some if it may be Izzo being too stubborn to let these players make a mistake. His big men always seem unsure of themselves. Unless they have a natural basketball IQ like Green, they seem lost and have no confidence.

If Payne and Dawson don't turn out to be studs you have to wonder how that will effect recruiting of the top prospects.
          Do you think Izzo is too focused on getting the most out of what he has in the short term?

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
            Do you think Izzo is too focused on getting the most out of what he has in the short term?
            The fact he plays Austin Thornton 15 minutes a night instead of letting a young guy with talent learn on the job by making few mistakes shows that to be true. Thornton, who could not play for any MAC team and could struggle to break the rotation at GVSU or Ferris St.

Can't question Izzo too much, but it is maddening to watch as an outsider.
            The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Izoo is the best thing to happen to spartie. Maurice Taylor's poor driving skills helped.

Comment

• JD

Bobcats equals Ohio. The Bobcats are set to continue their dominance of the B10. Marta may have even done enough to cement them ad 2nd best all-time program in the conference. Go Bobcats!
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The Bobcats are in the MAC.
                  To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Isn't the Bobcat a Cvb Scovt badge? Dve to a recent malfvnction, a bvtton on my keyboard is not working. Can yov gvess which one?

Comment

• The U is back!

No permanent water damage (I hope)!

Comment

• "Bobcats" is talent's lame attempt to parody, Hoke's use of the term "Ohio" in place of "Ohio State" ... and so talent seems to think it's cute to refer to his team as the "Bobcats" in place of "Buckeyes"

I suggest we all give talent a chuckle for his "brilliance" and move on.

Comment

• In terms of Michigan hoops before the fall, Michigan was ranked in the top 20 (at some point during the season) in 23 of 27 seasons from 1970-1998. In 15 of those seasons they were at some point in the top 10. In 5 of those seasons they were in the top 2. (#1 in '76-77 & '92-'93, #2 in '84-'85, '85-'86 & '88-'89). They also had some other top 5 appearances.

I don't know if that is "elite" but it is sure as heck better than average.

Comment

• "Bobcats" is talent's lame attempt to parody, Hoke's use of the term "Ohio" in place of "Ohio State"
                            I think its fine if they want to be called the Bobcats. In fact, they should take it the rest of the way and change their colors to Green and White. That way, they could continue their step-brotherhood with Michigan State and share their colors.

Bobcats, it is.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Seems dumb to further disparage a team that you're a fan of but we're talking about an ohioan here.

Comment

• Seems dumb to further disparage a team that you're a fan of but we're talking about an ohioan here.

Exactly. That's what makes it especially amusing.

Maybe for the next edition of the Nike Battle Armor (or whatever the hell they call that atrocity), the Bucks could go for the Green and White as liney suggests. In fact they could go against Dumbtonio and co with their new Green and Gold Sparty colors.

Comment

Working...
                                X