Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Doyle doesn't look like the next Mitch McGary (maybe he's the next Brian Cardinal?) but Diamond Stone (2015) is in that realm. Michigan is amongst his favorites.

Mark Donnal (2013) is going to be a good big. Maybe not an immediate impact. I'd even think of red-shirting him if Mitch & GR III both come back and Morgan, Horford and Bielfeldt are all 100% healthy. That might not happen because he also gives Michigan something they don't really have which is a big that can play inside and outside. Donnal's got a nice shot and has a few moves on the blocks as well.

Comment

• Ricky Doyle (2014 commit) doesn't look like the next Mitch McGary (maybe he's the next Brian Cardinal?) but Diamond Stone (2015) is in that realm. Michigan is amongst his favorites.

Mark Donnal (2013) is going to be a good big. Maybe not an immediate impact. I'd even think of red-shirting him if Mitch & GR III both come back and Morgan, Horford and Bielfeldt are all 100% healthy. That might not happen because he also gives Michigan something they don't really have which is a big that can play inside and outside. Donnal's got a nice shot and has a few moves on the blocks as well.
      Last edited by *JD*; April 1, 2013, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• M's recruiting class by season:

*'10: Hardaway & Horford (rs)
        *'11: Burke, Bielfeldt (rs)
        *'12: McGary, Robinson, Staukus, Spike & Lavert
        *'13: Irvin, Walton, Donnal
        *'14: Doyle

Class of '12 & '13 should pay dividends for quite awhile, there is a strong future for M basketball... Lil' worried about early departures but that is usually a sign of a strong program...

With the way McGary has been playing in the tourney he looks like a 2-year player to me... Spike, Lavert & Staukus are 4-year guys while Bielfeldt is essentially a guy in the '12 class with his redshirt.

*PG: Spike/Walton
        *SG/SF: Hardaway, Staukus, Irvin, Lavert
        *PF: Robinson, Bielfeldt, Donnal
        *C: McGary, J Morgan, Horford (+ Doyle in '14)
        Last edited by WM Wolverine; April 1, 2013, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• If Stauskas works on his game the way you want him too he could leave too. Bottom-line is that that shot is his meal ticket and scouts know it's there.

Comment

• I still say Burke is the only underclassman who will leave after this season.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Depends on what Timmy values. If he wants to be a first-round pick, he has to go this year. Though he'll need a big game already to do it, just to cement some buzz, because he hasn't put up points in the tournament. If he wants to be the best possible NBA prospect, he can wait a year and work on his game.

I was surprised at how coy GR3 was when it came up a few weeks ago, in giving the standard ``I'll think about it later but it's quite the opportunity'' line. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes, and wouldn't miss him, though that has nothing to do with him as a player. I like him and he's been asked to carry a heavy load this year. But no matter what I never want to see such as small PF again, so him leaving would take away an option I'd rather Beilein not have (if he still would want it next year; I have no idea). But I hope for GR3's sake he stays and works on his game. You still get credit for athleticism-based upside after your sophmore season, and he could come back with an improved dribble and a better understanding of how to move without the ball. But Michigan will be fine without him.

In fact though I would hate to lose Hardaway and to a lesser extent GR3 Michigan could even be fine without both. Stauskas, Irvin and LeVert looks like a decent rotation at the 2/3 spots. I don't know how it would work, but I wouldn't mind an Albrecht/Walton backcourt either. I'd really like to get Albrecht out there more next year. He's smart and steady, handles on-ball pressure very well, and is showing that he can thread the needle on ambitious passes. He could be more than a guy that simply doesn't fuck up.

Comment

• I keep forgetting about Hardaway. So, yeah .. I suppose we will most likely lose a minimum of 2 players in him and Burke. Although Hardaway Sr has been vocal about wanting Junior to get his degree, so I guess we'll have to wait that one out.

Little Dog just isn't ready. He's a fine player, and I'm not ripping him, I just don't see him as a true one-and-done. He needs at least one more year, and I think with his Dad having NBA experience, he's giving his son good advice about when to jump.

All in all, there is a very solid core of players returning next season. They'll be right back in contention again.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Little Dog just isn't ready. He's a fine player, and I'm not ripping him, I just don't see him as a true one-and-done. He needs at least one more year, and I think with his Dad having NBA experience, he's giving his son good advice about when to jump.

Spot-on. I don't know what his Dad's saying. I wonder how much dad is an influence, as he only started showing up latter half of the year. But if he is a one-and-done, it is not because he's ready. It's because he just can.

All in all, there is a very solid core of players returning next season. They'll be right back in contention again.

Wait -- aren't you guys stuck on the notion of incremental improvement supposed to expect an Elite 8 appearance to build on this year's reasonable expectation of a Sweet 16 appearance?

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                    M's recruiting class by season:

*'10: Hardaway & Horford (rs)
                    *'11: Burke, Bielfeldt (rs)
                    *'12: McGary, Robinson, Staukus, Spike & Lavert
                    *'13: Irvin, Walton, Donnal
                    *'14: Doyle
                    Austin Hatch is still a reclassified 2014 commit but he hasn't made it back to the court.

Comment

• Considered putting Austin Hatch in there, unsure how he's doing as a player other than he was cleared physically able to play...

Regardless, he'll get a scholarship from M.

Comment

• How good is Doyle?

Comment

• Seems a bit floorbound. Ideally paired with a leaper at 4 to provide a shotblocking threat. I don't know about Donnal.

But, yeah -- if the storyline is that McGary is finally in shape, then my opinion is that if Beilein insists on the PF position being staffed according to the needs of the offense the reasonable tradeoff is that the C spot must absolutely be manned by a motherfreakin' son of a bitch of a player. McGary, when he is in shape, is that kind of player.

Comment

• Here's a video of Doyle's team, with quite a few plays from Doyle. This is after coming off of a broken foot but I think he's a bit of a plodder. He obviously has some skills (finished with both hands) and is reported to be improving a lot but I don't think he's going to rise up to be rated in the Top-50 or anything. Probably more likely to be in the 80-110 range by the end of his Senior year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd2DYJ0nUws"]Bishop Verot vs Dunbar 4A-11 District Championship! BV Makes It 9 In A ROW! - YouTube[/ame]
                            Last edited by *JD*; April 1, 2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• This is a more impressive video. I"m not sure how good his competition is but it looks like he's very comfortable in the post. I like the up and under move he makes at the 1:33 mark. He also looks to have a nice shooting touch. He's not a high-flier but he does have a 7'2" wingspan. Since he's just finishing his Junior year, we can expect some more improvements before he hits campus and maybe he'll even get a little taller.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ParqWbSekNo"]Rick Doyle Has A BREAKOUT Summer! Michigan Commit - YouTube[/ame]
                              Last edited by *JD*; April 1, 2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• This is just a dunk video for Donnal but he does look a little bigger, stronger, and more explosive than he did last year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HToiEVjsmCI"]2012-2013 Mark Donnal Dunk Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X