Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack: about the Asian Carp.

It was brought into the US to keep catfish farms clean, but escaped during flooding. The biggest threat is if it gets into the Maumee River. These carp jump out of the water and have been known to jump into passing boats.

So, my logic is that if we didn't grow catfish in the South to feed southern tastes, there would have been no need for these vacuum cleaners.

I am a tree hugger of sorts. I own a small timber company, and give out bumper stickers that read, "HUG A LOGGER, YOU'LL NEVER GO BACK TO TREES."

Comment

• I have never owned, used, or needed a snowblower. Ever.

Agree with you Jeff. I love DSL's posts; however, he is as partisan as a Rachel Maddow (for example) and as such, it does cloud his objectvity at times.

Still very interesring stuff.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I need to get this off my chest.

I like the South. I could live anywhere in the world, and have travelled extensively, yet I choose here. I like the food, bourbon, the weather, the Appalachian mountains, the Gulf Coast, and the people. I like the variety of cities therein and closeby: New Orleans, Nashville, Savannah, and Charleston, for example. All distinct, with their own charm, food, and music scenes. I like that outsiders cannot understand my love of the area, until they spend time here, that is. I like that college football reigns supreme in our sports psyche. I like...well, the list goes on and on.

HOWEVER, our two most celebrated writers are (arguably) William Faulkner and Thomas Wolfe - and I hate them both.

Faulkner and Wolfe are James Fenimore Coopers with more flowery and unnecessary prose. Their rambling, meandering, and often nonsensical streams of consciousness receive effusive praise. All undeserved. Harper Lee's one book (I don't really count "Watchman") is several orders of magnitude better than anything either Wolfe or Faulkner ever penned. If we wanted to celebrate someone Southern with a stronger library, why not Robert Penn Warren over these two bozos?

Now we have Jude Law playing Wolfe in a docudramatic biopic called "Genius"? Apparently, this thing came out in 2016 and is making its way to cable now. And that makes me sick to my stomach. Please do not watch this. We don't need the studio heads seeing this waste of time get decent viewership. Because if that happens, we will get more of the same shit slung on our collective plates. Join me in this boycott!

Thanks for listening.

+3 attention points.
        Last edited by AlabamAlum; February 4, 2017, 02:09 PM.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Not a Faulkner fan. Darl can go fuck himself. All the King's Men, however, rocks.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Not a Faulkner fan. Darl can go fuck himself. All the King's Men, however, rocks.
            Exactly. Ex-fucking-zactly.

Comment

• Soak in this opening passage from Thomas Wolfe's "Look Homeward, Angel":

A destiny that leads the English to the Dutch is strange enough; but one that leads from Epsom into Pennsylvania, and thence into the hills that shut in Altamont over the proud coral cry of the cock, and the soft stone smile of an angel, is touched by that dark miracle of chance which makes new magic in a dusty world.
              That's comically bad. And it pervades Wolfe's drunken works.

Comment

• Please do not watch this. We don't need the studio heads seeing this waste of time get decent viewership. Because if that happens, we will get more of the same shit slung on our collective plates. Join me in this boycott!
                OK.

You remind me of a commercial I heard today warning previous buyers that a pill, ostensibly aimed at flattening your stomach, was working too well and folks were beginning to complain about their stomachs being too flat. The recommendation was to cut the pills in half.

Now I may have to look in on "Genius".

Comment

• -7 following instructions points.

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/sparksjls/status/827895038961188864[/ame]

Comment

• I prefer the work of the great southern poet Ronnie van Zandt.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        Soak in this opening passage from Thomas Wolfe's "Look Homeward, Angel":

That's comically bad. And it pervades Wolfe's drunken works.
                        That is terrible. It is like a high school creative writing student trying way too hard.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                          I prefer the work of the great southern poet Ronnie van Zandt.

I know you're kidding, but many of his lyrics could be a folksy-urban poetry. For example:

"Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars
                          Oak tree you're in my way
                          There's too much coke and too much smoke
                          Look what's going on inside you"

"Oh, take your time, don't live too fast
                          Troubles will come and they will pass
                          You'll find a woman and you'll find love
                          And don't forget, son, there is someone up above"

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                            That is terrible. It is like a high school creative writing student trying way too hard.

Yes. Horrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                              I know you're kidding, but many of his lyrics could be a folksy-urban poetry. For example:

"Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars
                              Oak tree you're in my way
                              There's too much coke and too much smoke
                              Look what's going on inside you"

"Oh, take your time, don't live too fast
                              Troubles will come and they will pass
                              You'll find a woman and you'll find love
                              And don't forget, son, there is someone up above"
                              I never kid about my Skynryd.

Comment

• Heh. Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X