No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd encourage everyone to read the WaPo story DSL just posted. Once again, DSL's commentary bears no resemblance to the "news" story.

Comment

• I've been skeptical of the press coverage of Trump's first weeks in the White House. But reports of the confusion within the NSC and now this is good journalism as it relates to the roll of the press in exposing corruption, excess and incompetence inside government.

DJT's conduct with respect to National Security seems so inept and so completely without regard to security protocols that it brings his capacity to govern as President into serious question.

Frankly, I think for those that were skeptical early on and who gave Trump a chance to see how he governed, are seeing their worst concerns being fulfilled.
      I've seen enough. I'll be writing my representatives this week.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; February 13, 2017, 01:23 PM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
        I'd encourage everyone to read the WaPo story DSL just posted. Once again, DSL's commentary bears no resemblance to the "news" story.
        Would you rather have me repeat the story's headline, word for word, or state what's explictly in the article? Fine

Trump Ran on Improving Intelligence Security; Demonstrates Ineptness in Office

Comment

• After huddling together with his national security team IN A PUBLIC SPACE, as they read top secret docs on North Korea using their unsecured CELL PHONE FLASHLIGHTS/CAMERAS, Trump decided that it'd be fun to crash the wedding going on next door

Comment

I'd encourage everyone to read the WaPo story DSL just posted. Once again, DSL's commentary bears no resemblance to the "news" story.
            Haha.

Are you sure you want people to read that article?

You're right. DSL was being kind.
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Per FAA advisories, Trump will spend a third straight weekend in Palm Beach golfing, schmoozing, & relaxing, after doing more in his first three weeks than most Presidents do in 4 years (per aide Stephen Miller)

Comment

• Well, then let's go to the text:

Sunday night, CNN reported details of the moment that Trump, joined by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, learned about a missile launch in North Korea. Trump and Abe were enjoying dinner at Trump’s exclusive Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida at the time, but, CNN reported, began to discuss the details of this international incident right there at their table.

[A hastily called news conference caps a surreal day for Trump in South Florida]

“As Mar-a-Lago’s wealthy members looked on from their tables, and with a keyboard player crooning in the background,” CNN’s Kevin Liptak reported, “Trump and Abe’s evening meal quickly morphed into a strategy session, the decision-making on full view to fellow diners, who described it in detail to CNN.”

Earlier in the week, Trump had been criticized for leaving intelligence documents vulnerable to people without security clearance. Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.) noticed that the president kept the key in a secured bag while hosting people in the Oval Office, which is a bit like leaving your house keys in your front door while you’re having a party in your backyard. There’s no indication that anyone saw anything confidential in this incident, but this, Heinrich suggested, was “Classified 101.”

Compared to holding a national security conversation over dinner in the public dining room at his private club, though, the lockbag incident pales.

It’s not clear that anyone heard particulars of the conversation, but other diners certainly noticed.

So we have a CNN reporter being cited as the source by the WP. We also have the word of a Dem Rep about a "secured" key (to the nuclear football I presume) being on a table during a conference he had with Trump. Over the weekend we had CNN once again spending a lot of time on the Buzzfeed Dosier, which it cites as a source of now "confirmed" reports.

So, down-article, it is reported that no one actually heard the conversation, but "other diners noticed". So what actually happened was nothing. No-one stole the key and the football, and no one heard the conversation, but DSL claims this is equivalent to Hillary clandestinely installing a server and then crushing the hard drives on 14 different devices in order to conceal 30,000 emails that are the rightful property of the US government.

What bothers me is that there seems to be an acceptance of a moral equivalence between the Democrats and Republicans in this forum. The idea "well, everyone does it" is the paradigm. Such an equivalence is simply not true historically. When you talk of the norms of civility in dealings with a judge, or of the 2009 "riots" that the Tea Party allegedly engaged in like the snowflakes today, or the mishandling of classified information, there is just no comparison between the two parties. The Dems are far more radical than the Republicans would ever think of being. That's because they are the party of government.

Over the weekend I was reading and noticed this quote from Ludwig von Mises:

"Government is essentially the Negation of Liberty"

Comment

• Yep. CNN reported it. It's nothing more than fake news.

We have pictures of them lighting the reports with cell phones for Christ's sake.

The lengths people will go to to defend this jackass and his buffoonery amaze me.
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Geezer goes to great lengths in trying to defend Trump having a national security meeting in the middle of a fucking restaurant, while onlookers take pictures and post them on Facebook, while Club Members reveal the identities on Facebook of the guy with the "nuclear football", and says this is all perfectly normal, perfectly legit, and not half-assed, sloppy, incompetent security.

Again, if Hillary Clinton was holding emergency national security meetings at a golf course she owned where the membership is kept secret and the press wasn't allowed in, in full view of non-disclosed civilians w/o any clearance, would Geezer have been okay with that?

I know, I know, he's an outrageously successful business man, the best really, ever. How arrogant to question him.

Comment

• What bothers me is that there seems to be an acceptance of a moral equivalence between the Democrats and Republicans in this forum. The idea "well, everyone does it" is the paradigm. Such an equivalence is simply not true historically. When you talk of the norms of civility in dealings with a judge, or of the 2009 "riots" that the Tea Party allegedly engaged in like the snowflakes today, or the mishandling of classified information, there is just no comparison between the two parties. The Dems are far more radical than the Republicans would ever think of being. That's because they are the party of government.

"That's Obama's list of seven countries, not ours."

Comment

• I just heard an interview of the Kansas Sec of State. It began with the data that DSL posted some time ago regarding a rather large number of folks who are registered in more than one state.

He went on to say that in 2009, the same organization that deals with multiple registrations asked aliens in the US if they had voted in the presidential election. 11.3% self-reported that they had voted. If you apply that to the number is non-citizens today, estimated at over 29 million, you get a figure of over 3,000,000 voters. Again, that is using the self-reporting of a control group from 2009. Of course, the interviewer is a prog, so he kept pointing out that those votes "could be for anyone". Those who are attached to reality understand that the vast majority of aliens vote for Democrats. Similarly, we know that self-reporting a crime is not the best thing to do, so the 11.3% figure is less than the actual number voting illegally.

Comment

• We have pictures of them lighting the reports with cell phones for Christ's sake.
                          Well, that is clearly espionage. Better lock those guys up, for Christ's sake.

DSL:
                          Geezer goes to great lengths in trying to defend Trump having a national security meeting in the middle of a fucking restaurant
                          I doubt if two leaders and their staffs dealing with breaking international developments can be characterized as holding emergency national security meetings at a golf course she(Hillary) owned where the membership is kept secret and the press wasn't allowed in. (DSL). But we are engaged in the never-ending search for an equivalence, aren't we.
                          Last edited by Da Geezer; February 13, 2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I just heard an interview of the Kansas Sec of State. It began with the data that DSL posted some time ago regarding a rather large number of folks who are registered in more than one state.

He went on to say that in 2009, the same organization that deals with multiple registrations asked aliens in the US if they had voted in the presidential election. 11.3% self-reported that they had voted. If you apply that to the number is non-citizens today, estimated at over 29 million, you get a figure of over 3,000,000 voters. Again, that is using the self-reporting of a control group from 2009. Of course, the interviewer is a prog, so he kept pointing out that those votes "could be for anyone". Those who are attached to reality understand that the vast majority of aliens vote for Democrats. Similarly, we know that self-reporting a crime is not the best thing to do, so the 11.3% figure is less than the actual number voting illegally.
                            You previously had insisted over and over again that all those people registered in multiple states were instances of voter fraud. You ducked a question I asked a couple weeks ago. Tiffany Trump, Jared Kushner, Steve Bannon, and a couple of Trump's Cabinet picks were all revealed to be registered in multiple states. Are they guilty of voter fraud?

Got a link to the Kansas Sec of State interview or the actual study that showed 11% of aliens voted illegally? I assume you're talking about Kris Kobach. He's been making claims for literally years that massive voter fraud is taking place and that he's on the verge of releasing a mountain of evidence...which he never gets around to releasing

I'll let people judge Kris Kobach's credibility:

Kobach's Wall Street Journal essay was hardly an anomaly. Running for office in 2010, he said ballots were being cast by Kansas voters who were actually dead. He even named one politically active corpse, Alfred K. Brewer. But Brewer vehemently denied the charge -- at least the part about being dead.

Kobach had a good thing going, misleading conservatives eager to believe his spiel, along with others too busy to check the fine points of shifty language. But then he made a costly error. He asked the Kansas Legislature to give him the power to investigate and prosecute the rampant voter fraud that he kept claiming was taking place. In 2015, he was granted his wish.

"His powers are pretty broad," e-mailed Micah Kubic, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas. "He can investigate at will, and prosecute 'voting crime' (not just fraud, per se) at will."
                            I asked Kobach's office for his voting fraud record. An aide sent me an Excel spreadsheet of his charges and prosecutions. He's had eight cases in Kansas since 2015, and six convictions. His first four convictions all involved American citizens age 60 or over, including a 77-year-old.

The paltry results in Kansas are no surprise. In a nationwide study released in 2014, law professor Justin Levitt found 31 credible cases -- cases, not convictions -- of in-person voter fraud in a pool of 1 billion votes cast nationally. The George W. Bush administration conducted an aggressive voter-fraud investigation that concluded in 2007 with little to show for the effort.

Comment

Well, that is clearly espionage. Better lock those guys up, for Christ's sake.

DSL:

I doubt if two leaders and their staffs dealing with breaking international developments can be characterized as holding emergency national security meetings at a golf course she(Hillary) owned where the membership is kept secret and the press wasn't allowed in. (DSL). But we are engaged in the never-ending search for an equivalence, aren't we.
                              1) You do realize that that cell phones can be hacked, correct? The cameras can be used without the owner's knowledge? When people enter the situation room back at the White House they have to leave all cell phones outside.

2) Obama routinely used a security tent when outside the White House for sensitive calls and classified info. It's made of material that blocking listening devices and no cell phones are allowed inside. I'll assume Trump has access, maybe even had on site, the same equipment. Why not step away from the dinner party to deal with the sensitive situation?

A rare photo, released by the White House, shows Barack Obama fielding calls from a tent in Brazil, to keep up with events in Libya. The tent was a mobile secure area known as a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, designed to allow officials to have top secret discussions on the move. So, what are they?

Comment

• Trump Admin claims illegal voters by the thousands are being driven from Massachusetts to New Hampshire to vote.

The current Republican Governor, the former Republican Attorney General, and the chair of the New Hampshire GOP have ALL said there's no evidence of this...several of them go a bit further and say this is "not connected to reality"

Gov. Chris Sununu said Monday he is unaware of widespread voter fraud in the Granite State, but he said he wants to work with President Donald Trump’s administration to “learn of any evidence they may have.”

Comment

Working...
                                X