No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, a lot of people don't things are quite so good. Unemployment is down, but workforce participation is waaay down. Sanders and Trump both found large audiences of folks for whom things aren't going well.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Also kudos to DJT for interpreting Title IX as it was clearly written.

Comment

• What's the workforce participation number when you take out retirees and children?
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• WH confirms that the new immigration EO will NOT be out this week.

Wasn't it part of the rationale for this Order that time was of the essence and America was facing an immediate peril? It's been almost 4 weeks since the original.

Comment

• I'm sure people don't think it's good, I would bet a lot of those constituents probably thought that for decades. Regardless, the situation is much better in 2017 that 2008. A lot of those constituents would find it would have been much worse if the auto companies were liquidated in 2009. The GOP would have let that happen.

The U6 rate crested in 2010 after the 2008 crash at 17 percent, it is at 9 percent now. It would have been much higher without the stimulus and bailouts. If a guy like DJT was in charge during the crisis, it would have been rough. His instinct is bankruptcy and taking money Russian mobsters. And Tim Geithner is miles better than the Foreclosure King.

Comment

• We only needed MORE STIMULUS. I know the party line, Froot.

Comment

• SLF:

This rather bleak article in Commentary has the participation numbers in it. We're at about 62%. The significant number is that we never really recovered from the crash when we were around 65.5%. It dropped to 61% and has inched slowly up to 62%.

To put things another way: If our nation’s work rate today were back up to its start-of-the-century highs, well over 10 million more Americans would currently have paying jobs.

Comment

• I just realized that the Title IX case going up to the Supreme Court will probably be mooted. That's a shame. Not even the liberal wing of the Court could have backed Obama's preposterous interpretation of the law on that one. They may have found some sort of Constitutional right somewhere to reach the same outcome, but they would have had to shit on Obama's autocratic dumbassery.

Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    We only needed MORE STIMULUS. I know the party line, Froot.
                    Huh? I'm not sure what this post has to do with anything. It looks like a deflection. Maybe you do truly believe Trump has inherited a worse situation.

My point is not about more stimulus, that's a seperate argument. But they had to bailout the auto companies, they needed to continue the TARP program, the stimulus bill helped. The first few months of the Obama administration was not a time where they could worry about Inauguration crowd sizes or symbolic garbage travel bans.

Donald Trump has inherited a situation where he could bilk the federal government each weekend on a trip to his resort in Florida for the next 52 weeks and the market is not crashing.

Comment

• Yes, I know what your point is. Your posts and points are entirely predictable and understandable: Obama/Ds great; DJT/Rs awful. In no uncertain terms. I get it.

I'm not sure how or why you worked in your standard ObaMA GREAT!!!!-DJT Evil!!! stuff into a post on Tucker Carlson, but you managed to do it.
                      Last edited by iam416; February 22, 2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• There's an opinion out there that the mid-November rally was based on the expectation of MOAR STIMULUS, essentially vindicating the idea that Obama's stimulus wasn't big enough. The rally fizzled when McConnell started dismissing the infrasructure plan. I'll look for the story. Was in The Economist.

Comment

• Where are the markets now? I seriously don't know, but I thought they've been going up and up. Doesn't much interest me as a short term thing, though.

Comment

• How much longer does Tillerson put up with DJT foreign policy game of pickup sticks and just go the fuck back to making $25M per CEO'ing some company?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g"]Fuck This Shit I'm Out - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Things fell off, because in truth businesses don't care about regulatory burden as long as all their competitors suffer the same burden. But, point being, the stimulus came up and that's a data point. Can't find the story though.

Comment

• Just anecdotal, but Dept of State people have been pretty pleasantly surprised with Tillerson. It was a really low bar but apparently he climbed over it with talk of being a healthy organization with healthy processes. They feel like they got the adult of the group.

Comment

Working...
                                X