Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hack View Post
    The good thing about this is that it seems like we're going to actually get a serous and quality debate about manufacturing and jobs. Someone pointed out to me that if the Gordie Howe Bridge gets built there will be top-notch international connectivity to go with four Class 1 railroads and three interstates, all convening at the same spot. No other place in the country has that. Add the ports, if that mode of transport can be revived, and you've got something to offer. And then there's this guy, who coined the term ``emerging markets'', talking up rust-belt capabilities now that automation is the new China. https://www.brookings.edu/events/the...al-innovation/. Dunno if that's just optimism to sell a book, but there's room for something to go on here and the debate has nothing to do with immigrants.
    They have been floating renovating the train depot as a new transportation hub. Of course Maroon has been content to let it rot for decades, but I have noticed that there are now lights on in there and have been on for a few weeks. At this point it's the only big building left that could be renovated for class A office space, maybe Gilbert may want in there.

Gilbert has now two proposed huge developments near Campus Martius, a big office/residential complex next to the First National building. Last week he proposed building the tallest building in Detroit on the old Hudson site. Of course it comes with the catch of needing some kind of tax incentives from Lansing that the State House has resisted.

Comment

• I didn't hear about a new transport hub using it, but I think I read that putting windows and lights in the building came in exchange for something he wanted.

Comment

• The windows came from an order from tbe city council. I'm not sure about the lights, if they were part of the same order, they weren't turned on until the last few weeks. In typical Maroun fashion, the replacement windows were cheap, not consistent with the architecture.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          He gave a speech that wasn't utterly horrifying and everyone is jumping for joy. But hey -- I'll take it. Indications that he might learn on the job would be great.

It'll be interesting to see how he reacts to the praise from the broadcasters. Those aren't the people by which one should measure one's self, but he seems to. Maybe they get downgraded from enemy of the state.
          Right, the POTUS not coming off as a complete loony is a good thing, it's progress I guess. But until that spills over into policy, it doesn't mean much, it will just make it glossier and easier for some to swallow.

I will say, I am surprised he was able to hold it together for that long, though he did slide in enough self congratulatory backslaps (false ones in many cases) to perhaps sate his ego. It will be interesting to if he can maintain it.

I'm far more interested in his comment earlier in the day about giving immigrants a path to citizenship. Was he just throwing that out there without thought (like he does a lot of time) or is he actually moderating his opinion due to listening to people outside of the Bannon/Miller sphere? Are they going to stop arresting people with traffic violations? Will they continue to push a the muslim ban? Let's just say I have my doubts. He's clearly still committed to the ridiculous wall. He's going to try to build that no matter what it does or who opposes it or how much it costs. It would be too much of a hit to his ego to not try to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            The windows came from an order from tbe city council. I'm not sure about the lights, if they were part of the same order, they weren't turned on until the last few weeks. In typical Maroun fashion, the replacement windows were cheap, not consistent with the architecture.
            Have you ever heard anything about what the son thinks? Seems like he's a good soldier for his dad now, but one wonders what he'll do when in charge. It's not a big family, and he'll have a hugely devalued asset in dire need of investment if it's going to be useful into the future. Still all those assets in transportation though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
              . He's clearly still committed to the ridiculous wall. He's going to try to build that no matter what it does or who opposes it or how much it costs. It would be too much of a hit to his ego to not try to do it.
              The wall is going up n o matter what else happens....its his monument.

Comment

• So my brother is running a firefighter training cycle. Each morning the cadets file into the briefing room, and have ten minutes of what amounts to Quiet Time to reflect on the previous day?s assignments. It is at this point that my brother serenades them with awful music, via the in-ceiling speakers. We spoke last night as he was looking for ideas on bad 80s songs, so I thought I?d fish around in here with you tools to see what we could come up with. Anything tortuous to 20somethings with tatoos.

So far I have;

Hall and Oates: Private Eyes

Duran Duran: Notorious

Ah-Ha: Take On Me

David Bowie/Mick Jagger: Dancin? in the Street
                (I remember the video for this; terrible.

Comment

• I would not include Ah-Ha -- there's far worse. For my money, nothing is as shamelessly fucking awful as "We Built This City..." by either Starship or Airplane or whatever the fuck they were calling themselves at the time.

Horrific.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The discography for REO Speedwagon has plenty of material.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                      The discography for REO Speedwagon has plenty of material.
                      Oh God yes.

Anything off of that insipid Tuna Fish album.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up; Doesn't get any worse.

Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) - Wham

Comment

• Alvin/Simon/Theodore.

Comment

• Air Supply, too, is horrific.

But, in terms of uniquely and gratingly awful, She Blinded Me With Science, Mr. Roboto, Rock Me Amadeus and perhaps Safety Dance are all good candidates.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              I would not include Ah-Ha -- there's far worse. For my money, nothing is as shamelessly fucking awful as "We Built This City..." by either Starship or Airplane or whatever the fuck they were calling themselves at the time.

Horrific.
                              Oh...good one.

Comment

• LOL @ Air Supply. My mother loves Air Supply.

Comment

Working...
                                X