No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it's been long-established that lying under oath isn't disqualifying. I'm not sure this is even lying, but anywho...RUSSIA!
    Last edited by iam416; March 2, 2017, 08:09 AM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• GOP Majority Leader McCarthy was on Morning Joe and said he thinks Sessions should recuse himself from any Russia investigations. And that's what last night's revelations definitely should provoke.

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      I think it's been long-established that lying under oath isn't disqualifying.
      Heh, is this about Bill? Google Sessions' comments on Clinton perjury from the late 90's...he makes it clear he views lying to Congress as a very, very serious crime. Or at least back in the 90's he felt that way. Might feel differently now.

Comment

• Agree re recusal. Anything more than that is silly.

I don't much care for the he said this 20 years ago! argument, DSL. You may recall your hero, President Obama, being an anti-gay bigot a mere 6 or 7 years ago.

I strongly opposed the idea that Bill Clinton's perjury was disqualifying. I'm certain you recall that. I stand by that assessment to this day. My visceral reaction to Sessions not disclosing two meetings with a Russian Ambassador while he was a Senator is similar.

If I were to call out hypocrisy, in addition to Sessions, I'm quite sure you're going to set yourself up as an easy target...

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          I think it's been long-established that lying under oath isn't disqualifying. I'm not sure this is even lying, but anywho...RUSSIA!
          I don't know how it's not lying, but I guess you can rationalize it however you'd like. I do find it interesting that when it's a Clinton allegedly lying it's time to string her up according to the republicans. But when it's a republican lying...
          *shruggy*.

It's almost like republicans don't care at all about the things they criticized Clinton for.
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• It's almost like republicans don't care at all about the things they criticized Clinton for.
            It's almost like the democrats now all of sudden care about all the shit they didn't care about before.

C'mon, dude.

Comment

• I'll say this once and leave it at that -- it's politics. People are partisan. It's typically party before principle. Accusing others of hypocrisy is both (a) self-righteously satisfying; and (b) shooting fish in the barrel -- politics is rife with hypocrisy. The hypocrisy point has zero value to me -- it's nearly omnipresent and serves as a way to dismiss the merits. I hate it from everybody, but I understand it will remain because of (a).

With that said, this is a surprisingly nice little piece from the NR on Indonesia and tolerant islam: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ious-tolerance

It's largely superficial, but it's a nice reminder that the most populous islamic country, by far, is workably sane.

Comment

• I'm still holding out hope that Trump will weaponize the IRS and unleash it upon Liberal nonprofit groups.

Comment

• I don't know how it's not lying
                  You're a lawyer. You know lying is intent-based. If you think the question is directed to campaign-related stuff, then that's the answer. I'm sure, as Senator, Sessions met with gads of ambassadors. I'd be utterly fucking shocked if it were just Russia.

As is typically the case, however, in a deposition or hearing, it's better to not play games and just give the best answer. Because they jury or American public isn't much going to care about any sort of lawyer-ese defense -- they're going to see evasiveness and/or dishonesty.

I initially hated evasive, shitty witnesses because they did nothing for our pre-trial case. But then I saw how it works at trial. Man, if they weren't going to appear and they were awful witnesses, we'd put on 10-15 minutes of their video even if it was just borderline relevant. Worked really well. When I prepped and defended 30(b)(6) witnesses I very much worked on effective, non-evasive testimony b/c that could be shown regardless of whether they appeared or not.

Sessions should have known better.

Comment

• I'm still holding out hope that Trump will weaponize the IRS and unleash it upon Liberal nonprofit groups.
                    Heh heh heh. You're going to have to be satisfied with significant cuts to the administrative state.

Comment

• I have posted something similar to this before.

Is Trumpism the new punk rock?
                      Amateurism, insurrection, transgressive appeal, a DIY ethos... Sound familiar?

It isn't punk rock in the literal sense, but it is a great description of the movement of the Alt-right. Or, more specifically, the younger members of it on the internet. The "Meme Team", The Gamergaters, etc. It is the new counterculture. The Alt-righters on 4chan are today's National Lampoon. They are the tasteless punks. Mischievous wise crackers. They are boat rockers who aren't inherently Conservative, just like National Lampoon and punk rockers were never inherently Liberal (although IMHO they were incorrectly perceived that way). The traditionally Conservative industry that I work in has been compromised and they no longer put up much of a fight against external threats. That includes environmental regulations that are directly at odds with the goals of the company. In some cases, they actually help promote them. Sheep, Inc. now has a Wolves Tolerance and Understanding Department.

And most of the Republicans that I work with did not vote for Trump.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; March 2, 2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• It's a bigger problem with the administration, they tell bald faced whoppers every day. Most of the whoppers are easily refuted but they are not deterred, in fact they double down on the whoppers. They rarely even try to shade it so there is some wiggle room. Of course Sessions loed, the whole campaign was in contact with the Russians, at this point it would be news to point out people from the Trump camp that wasn't in contact with the Russians.

Comment

• hysteria

the idea that a sitting Alabama senator in july 4 months before the election could somehow orchestrate a meeting with the Russian diplomat to the US for the purposes of what--to implement ways the election could be influenced?

hysteria

"When the event was over, a small group of ambassadors approached Sessions as he was leaving the podium, and Kislyak was among them, the Justice Department official said."

that was the first meeting

hysteria

second meeting in September was obviously a ploy by the Russians and the fbi and sessions to make sure trump was elected AND IT WORKED!

hysteria

like to see who among us being grilled for 12 hours by the confirmation process would get all the answers right about trivial events thousands of contacts sessions must have had last year--its obvious this is a huge coverup on his part in collusion with the Russian government

HYSTERIA!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                            hysteria

the idea that a sitting Alabama senator in july 4 months before the election could somehow orchestrate a meeting with the Russian diplomat to the US for the purposes of what--to implement ways the election could be influenced?

hysteria

"When the event was over, a small group of ambassadors approached Sessions as he was leaving the podium, and Kislyak was among them, the Justice Department official said."

that was the first meeting

hysteria

second meeting in September was obviously a ploy by the Russians and the fbi and sessions to make sure trump was elected AND IT WORKED!

hysteria

like to see who among us being grilled for 12 hours by the confirmation process would get all the answers right about trivial events thousands of contacts sessions must have had last year--its obvious this is a huge coverup on his part in collusion with the Russian government

HYSTERIA!!!!
                            Welcome to other side of the fence.

I suggest you develop some coping strategies now, for the sake of your own sanity.

Comment

• I might be more receptive to the Russia stuff if I thought there was a genuine conflict of interest between the desires of Putin and the national interests of the United States. So far, I can't find any. The only material consequence that I can think of for Trump's election that actually benefits Putin is that Trump won't unilaterally promise to sacrifice American money and troops to fight Russia if Putin invades one of his neighbors.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; March 2, 2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Yes, Hanni, but RUSSIAN PUPPET!!! ZOMG!

Comment

Working...
                                X