Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well nothing changes Day 55 vis-a-vis 30 Days, but:

Obama did succeed in making Iraq a client state of Iran

Take that back. How many fucking times do I have to point out the long-term history here? You agree with me every time. You know that's bullshit. Maybe you are just engaging in a bullshit-for-bullshit exchange, and that's fine, but if that's all you're trying to do, well, 55>30 and that ends that.

Comment

• Well nothing changes Day 55 vis-a-vis 30 Days, but:
      Trump gave the DOD untill the end of Feb to present a plan. Today is the 16th, and US troops are on the move. Hey, DSL brought it up basically out of the blue. I'm going to challenge any statement that I know to be untrue, or, in this case, ignorant.

I googled "Iraq is a client state of Iran" and this Newsweek article was the first entry.

There has been a near tripling of Iran's direct proxy forces in Iraq in the past two years.

This is not even debatable in the short term. Sure Iraq is 55-30 Sunni, but, short-term, Iraq is doing what Iran wants. The Alawites in Syria are only 12% of that country's population, but they have controlled the government (military) for most of my lifetime. Demographics are not always destiny in the short term.

You know, Keynes was right in many things. He pointed out that "In the long run we are all dead." or something similar. In an age of nuclear weapons, that statement takes on new meaning. Iran is an Islamic state that chants "Death to America" in the streets during its national holidays. A US "President" has guaranteed them a nuclear weapon in 8 years, and also guaranteed them that the US would defend Iran against other countries that might stop their acquisition of nuclear weapons. All that is left is for Iran to deliver a nuclear weapon to our shores (by ship or missile), bringing on their 10th Mahdi or whatever.

55-30 ends no debate in the short run. We can all hope there is a long run after what your guy did to this country.

Comment

• Lol

Comment

• Ybor
          Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          I think his use of mandate is unremarkable and extremely clear:

Rather than mandate insurance coverage, write the fucking check. We can debate all day long about whether the government should pay for it, but if you decide that it should, then don't fuck around with mandating insurance coverage -- be honest.

As for single-payer, I'm sure he's adamantly opposed, however my guess is that he'd much rather have the government come out and pay for it directly than run it through the insurance companies.
          I read the article. Straightforward and understandable with regard to the thesis ....... if it's something legislators think should be done out of a sense of doing what's right, write the check.

This is such a simple concept. It eludes elected legislators at every level - more so at the federal level as to opposed to state or local levels .... but they're not immune from stupid and cowardly either.

Taken to the next level, this is the exact kind of question that the Congress needs to face up to with regard to HC. Does the state pay for it or not. If yes, go single payor and raise taxes to cover the cost.
          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; March 16, 2017, 12:16 PM.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I don't know why I have to start at the beginning with you every single damn time when it comes to Middle East history and politics. Absorb, please, and learn for next time. Go back in the thread if you want to understand the roots of this conflict. They go back a little bit past 2008. If you want to have a silly debate in which either Obama or Trump gets blamed, have it with someone else.

The truth is that if Iran wanted a bomb they'd have one. They want to be perceived as having a bomb. I went there in November 2004. As it turns out, I didn't see any Marg bar America rallies, but I met a whole bunch of people who helped me see a more nuanced view. We should worry about Iran, no doubt. We should make those worries realistic ones. Anyhow, the IAEA was due for a big report on November 25th or so of 2004, and since what did I know, I figured just in case I should time my visit to make sure I get out before then. And here we are 13 years later, still pretending they are on the verge. This was five years ago already:

They are selling you fear, and you are buying it. I do agree with you that religious zealots might one day kill us all. We very well might have one in the White House right now influencing the president. If you want to worry about zealots with access to nukes, it seems a lot more sensible to worry about the one that exists in reality as opposed to the one that MIGHT exist a decade from now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
              DSL:

Well, those of us who read newspapers know that at least 400 marines, flying the US flag, are in-country with heavy artillery to help take Raqqa. Elements of the 82nd Airborne, reportedly 2,500 paratroopers, have been prepositioned in Kuwait. But so good of you to bring up the issue.

Now you can move on and argue that Trump is "getting us involved in a land war in Asia". Just keep in mind that this war had been won when Obama was elected, and Joe Biden predicted Iraq would be a "great success story". Well, Obama did succeed in making Iraq a client state of Iran, and he also allowed Sunni militia to become ISIS. I guess Obama was successful, if you view it through the Valarie Jarrett lens.
              LOL at the 'war had been won'. We just had to keep 175,000 ground troops located in-country for an indefinite period of time, constantly getting maimed and killed. That was an enormously popular option by 2008.

Simple minds believe such simple things.

Comment

• Anne Frank Center calls for top Trump advisor's resignation after its revealed he's member of a far-right Nazi-linked organization that venerates Hungary's WWII Nazi collaborator Miklos Horthy

Comment

• The truth is that if Iran wanted a bomb they'd have one. They want to be perceived as having a bomb.

straight from homeland episode 3 I watched last night

I still miss football too

why don't you ever do the officepool NCAA's bracket contest talent? Do they have that option? Not that I'd ever win or collect anything but just wanted to know

Comment

• I hesitate to jump in on the discussion about Iran and Iraq but as I see the discussion there areally a lot of issues being brought up.

Geezer says BO let Iran make Iraq a client state. I'm not sure that's the right choice of words but Iraq has come under greater influence by Iran than in the past but that has more to do with the rise of Shia power in Iraq with Sunnis getting squeezed giving rise to IS, Yada, Yada. Oversimplified but you get the point.

Hack brings up the issue of a Nuclear armed Iran. I don't think there's a nexus between your post and Geezer's. I could be wrong. But I'm absolutely certain that the Israel's have used the fear of this to garner support from the various US administration's that have been exposed to it.

SLF ...... don't mean to slight you by not handling posts by you and Geezer the same. It's not intentional just I might have missed it.

I really don't like to point out posts that target other posters. I'd rather we all posted with thought in mind that if you would be offended by language you are about to post if you were on the receiving end of it, re word it.

I'm less likely to worry much about a little sass when it's clear that's what it is.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Been meaning to share this story for a few days but keep forgetting...West Virginia is considering a bill that would eliminate mine safety inspections. Inspectors would be replaced by 'compliance advisors' who have virtually no powers to fine or penalize companies for violations. What might be an even bigger slap in the face to mine workers is that the 'advisors' would still retain the power, and actually be encouraged, to fine individual employees for violating safety guidelines.

Comment

• LOL at the 'war had been won'. We just had to keep 175,000 ground troops located in-country for an indefinite period of time, constantly getting maimed and killed.
                        I'm quoting Joe Biden when I'm saying the war was basically won.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOcPCrGRs6k"]Biden in 2010: Iraq Will Be 'One of the Greatest Achievements' of This Administration - YouTube[/ame]

Your 175,000 number was during the surge. By the time Obama was elected there were 90,000, and the military recommended keeping 10,000 in place after a withdrawal in 2011. Democrats claim the full pull-out was necessary because of Malaki's unwillingness to sign a status of forces agreement. Of course, this after-the-fact rationalization is simply an attempt to shift the debate away from the total failure of the Obama administration to foresee and react to ISIS overrunning much of the country.

Even Democrats agree now that 10,000 US soldiers would have been plenty to stop ISIS's first wave of attacks.

Last edited by Da Geezer; March 16, 2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Hack: Sorry, but I have no recollection of you ever talking about a trip to Iran or where you opined that Iranians don't want a bomb. Can you find a post where you were discussing Iranian matters? Then I can read the whole discussion. Sorry.

Comment

• Both the House and Senate Intel Chairs of both parties have now stated they've seen no indication that any sort of surveillance was performed at Trump Tower.

Comment

• Trump's tax returns that got sent to David Johnston were mailed from Westchester County, NY. Donald Trump Jr happened to spend the same weekend with his family there at the family's retreat.

[ame]https://twitter.com/JasperAvi/status/842399876696682496[/ame]

Comment

• So trump is now a brilliant mastermind dsl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X