No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think if you factored in the source, in a general sense, you'd be posting less NRO. It's not that hard to poke holes in what they do. One could consider it part of a balanced media diet. At best. But might as well just read The Economist. You get the same basic world view but without the clickbait.
    Thanks for the tip. I've really learned a lot these past few days. Will try to model my posting and links after other esteemed members of the board. No more daft NRO takes. Lots more Vox, PBS, WaPo, NYT, Daily Beast, etc....links that seem to pass your muster.
    Last edited by iam416; May 5, 2017, 11:45 AM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      I'll tell her she is wrong next time. My example is about end of life and was clearly stated. Broken ankles aren't ICU cases. I'm talking real end of life, like they probably won't make it through the week, but we are going to do everything, included wheeling the patient down to get a CT scan at 3 in the morning.

misunderstood.. I thought you were talking in general.

still, someone is getting that bill.
      Last edited by entropy; May 5, 2017, 11:50 AM.
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        I posted the article as an alternative viewpoint. Like you, I factor in the source and the inherent flexibility of statistics.

Correction noted, I wrongly figured since you post a lot of it from NRO, t wasn't an alternative viewpoint. I will go there sometimes, but you something from Williamson and it is barf time.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
          hack.. you don't like the economist?
          I LOVE The Economist. In addition to holding to a fairly reasonable and balanced version of market-oriented economics and politics, it is very carefully grappling with the serious and vexing questions. There are thoughtful grownups in charge. If I had to pick only two media outlets, they would be that and The New Yorker.

Comment

• I don't post Williamson because I know you hate him, Froot. He's also very hit or miss.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
              misunderstood.. I thought you were talking in general.

No worries, yeah end of life stuff is more of what I was talking about. Time is of the essence there. In general doctor stuff, you are pretty much doing what the insurance allows.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                I LOVE The Economist. In addition to holding to a fairly reasonable and balanced version of market-oriented economics and politics, it is very carefully grappling with the serious and vexing questions. There are thoughtful grownups in charge. If I had to pick only two media outlets, they would be that and The New Yorker.

big fan of the economist as well

Comment

• The Economist is also paywalled. You can get your 3 articles per week, but beyond that it's pay, and even for the 3 you have to register. So, it's not an overly accessible website and thus not particularly link-friendly.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I've really learned a lot these past few days. Will try to model my posting and links after other esteemed members of the board. No more daft NRO takes. Lots more Vox, PBS, WaPo, NYT, Daily Beast, etc....links that seem to pass your muster.
                    I suggested balancing out your NRO content. Not replacing it.

Comment

The Economist is also paywalled. You can get your 3 articles per week, but beyond that it's pay, and even for the 3 you have to register. So, it's not an overly accessible website and thus not particularly link-friendly.
                      You get what you pay for. In your job, you can't get that expensed though?

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        No worries, yeah end of life stuff is more of what I was talking about. Time is of the essence there. In general doctor stuff, you are pretty much doing what the insurance allows.

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with that personally. My in-laws did for their parents. Nothing like fighting bills and arguing with medicare months after someone dies. Eventually, they paid some and medicare paid more. I don't know for 100% certain, but the hospital collected on everything. I know there was some rate changes, but nothing was written off.. at least according to my mother-in-law. But dealing with that months after a death is emotionally taxing.

from my work experience, I see a lot more effort to do only what is being reimbursed. Excluding ER of course. Same probably holds try for saving a patient at that moment.
                        Last edited by entropy; May 5, 2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• I think I'm the only one who posts any links from anything that is not left. If everyone wants to leave the linking to me, then I'll go balancing my links. As it is, I think DSL (and others) do a pretty good job of presenting nearly every conceivable anti-DJT, anti-R issue of the day. Though, he's been delinquent this week.

Comment

• If I post Vox stuff, it's normally Sarah Kliff and it is in relation to the healthcare debate. She knows her shit on health care, she was the one who broke the story on the GOP initially exempting themselves from the AHCA. I doubt that amendment yesterday is even voted on without that report. It is less theory and more nuts and bolts. You are less likely to find that kind of analysis from NRO, if they had a right-leaning explainer that would be interesting to get links from.

DSL does provide a great service, but it's generally because Trump is a doofus. if Cruz was elected, the outcome might be actually meaner but I think he would had a lot less doofus moments. He knows his stuff.

Comment

• I don't think DSL is the only lefty linker, and you wouldn't call War on the Rocks, my favorite source to link to on security discussions here, as left. It's a realist approach. But, really, why not just participate in discussions and link as needed and appropriate? It's not as if this is an echo chamber. If it really were, I presume you wouldn't be here. If you wanted an echo chamber you be needling college kids on facebook.

Comment

• Well, I will continue to participate in the discussions and provide links, typically without much commentary, as I see fit. Folks can click on them as warranted. I presume if one doesn't think it's germane to the discussion and has no interest in a right of center viewpoint, they won't trouble themselves with the link.

We're all grown-ups here.

Comment

Working...
                                X