Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
    Amen to that!

Same RCP polling had Clinton at 38.5% favorable to Trump's 39.5% at the same time in their Presidencies. Most don't remember how badly the Clinton Presidency started. But in those years, there was a moderate middle class that was fluid in terms of approval ratings. Not so now.
    Clinton's disapproval rating was 49% compared with Trump's current 57%

Here's a right-wing source for that

Comment

• Also, Clinton's low popularity led to his party getting thumped in the midterm elections.

Comment

• The article's a couple months old, but good to return to as the Qatar situation goes on.

The US lists 61 groups as terrorist organizations. The overwhelming majority of those are funded primarily with Saudi money. Detailed article (for Huffpost) explains the Saudi-Pakistan relationship and why the Saudi Royal Family exports extremists (it's a way of getting rid of potential internal enemies of the monarchy).

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/marcdonnchadh/status/873075964405719040[/ame]

Comment

• ....we've established that Trump's election campaign was led by a whole bunch of people that collaborated with the Russian government, and, yet, Trump thinks he's ``totally vindicated".
            You have established no such thing. If this is one of your "facts" that you base your ideology on, then I just say, "no wonder".

Comment

• While talent is indeed an asshat, as a legal scholar and with respect to the question, did DJT obstruct justice in firing Comey, he is spot on and is joined by several other lawyers with considerable reputations as constitutional authorities.

I heard one of them on the NPR evening news Friday night and then found this WaPo article (yes, I made sure no one had posted this link as I have carefully read the last 4 or 5 pages of posts on this issue) linked below.

Like talent, I'm in no way endorsing Trump - he was and is now the king of asshats. But I am getting tired of the assertions everywhere, including here, that there is incontrovertible truth, facts, that support the position that Trump obstructed justice .... and those of you here that will try to back peddle on those positions, forget it. It's pretty clear that in your name, it is written.

We should now all be prepared to begin to entertain the notion that, like Bill Clinton was accused of being the Teflon President, Trump will enjoy that characterization as well. That is because he will escape unscathed from the charges of obstruction, build a case that the deep state is out to get him, and continue to strut about like the ridiculous peacock he has become.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• No back peddling here, I'll write it again for you. Firing Comey because he wouldn't drop the Russia investigation is obstruction of justice. It is very similar to the obstruction of justice charges brought forth in both Nixon and Clinton in the impeachment charges. You have to let the process play itself out, let Special Counsel Mueller do his job.

Comment

• For the record...I believe he has obstructed the investigation in the spirit of the law, and have said as much.

I have also said from the outset that he would skate, because in the end punishment is a political matter rather than a legal one, and that I expect the GOP to fall into phalanx when its required.

Comment

• He admitted it himself. I agree that there is a big difference between doing it and being held accountable. Strong argument for legal reform. There is such a huge gap between what is known and what is knowable in a courtroom.

Comment

• In a display of further asshattery, POSOTUS wants gov't agencies to deny simple information requests from congressmen that are not Republican. The guidance has been professionally word-weaseled to speak of committee chairmanships, ranking members etc. Fortunately, some in the GOP recognize that this is an enormously stupid (and sadly consistent) position by Chump. From CNN:

An already contentious move by Republican President Donald Trump to block opposition Democratic lawmakers from getting information about his administration received its most scathing criticism yet on Friday - from one of the most powerful Republican members of the U.S. Senate.

Judiciary Committee chairman Chuck Grassley of Iowa (R), in a more than 2,100-word letter to the White House, asked Trump to rescind unprecedented guidance that told executive agencies they do not have to honor requests for information from lawmakers in the minority party, currently the Democrats.

Grassley said it goes against the U.S. Constitution by misrepresenting how Congress functions and is trying to tell the legislative branch how to do its job. It also impedes Democratic lawmakers' ability to check up on the president, a responsibility also laid out in the Constitution, Grassley wrote in a letter replete with footnotes and case citations.
                      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• POSOTUS hahahah

Comment

• Kudos to Grassley for that...I saw yesterday where he had written about it.

Comment

• Talent- We talked a while back about the craft beer scene in Columbus. "Re-branding" coming at one of the weaker players...and mentions an overhaul at Kindred that I never even noticed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                              ....... because in the end punishment is a political matter rather than a legal one, and that I expect the GOP to fall into phalanx when its required.
                              A former US attorney made this point on one of the ABC news shows this morning. He said he didn't think there was broad or sufficient understanding of what is meant as an impeachable offense. He also pointed this out:

The impeachment process is political in nature, not criminal. Congress has no power to impose criminal penalties on impeached officials. But criminal courts may try and punish officials if they have committed crimes.

I think those that have argued against Trump, especially in this forum, understand this difference but it is sometimes hard to pick up that understanding in any given post on this issue.

The point being, there is room for debate on how DJT might be held accountable and be punished for the firing of former Director Comey.

Personally, I would really hate to see the congress and the public mesmerized for months by this spectacle while the important business of healthcare, debate on the appropriate level of federal regulatory authority/law and tax reform get moved to the back burner.

Some sensible voices in Congress have pointed this out saying impeachment is a serious business and the process should not to be undertaken lightly.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Personally, I would really hate to see the congress and the public mesmerized for months by this spectacle while the important business of healthcare, debate on the appropriate level of federal regulatory authority/law and tax reform get moved to the back burner.

Some sensible voices in Congress have pointed this out saying impeachment is a serious business and the process should not to be undertaken lightly.

http://www.crf-usa.org/impeachment/h...demeanors.html
                                Impeachment definitely is not a subject to be taken lightly...but neither are Trump's behaviors here. That they do not rise to the standard of legitimate impeachment does not make their investigation a spectacle, or unimportant business.

Comment

Working...
                                X