No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've posted here up thread about unintended or trickle down consequences inherent in the Medicaid cuts that are proposed in the current Senate HC bill.

The NYT Times article below explains how reduction in block grants to the states for Medicaid ultimately impact the elderly Medicare beneficiaries as they seek to reduce their personal financial burden by obtaining reimbursement for portions of home care or assisted living costs from Medicaid.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I took this out of the Freep. An outside view looking in, but something people should look hard at. From an article covering the recent Trump protests.

For Ghanim, who spent 25 years living under a dictatorship in Egypt, this sentiment was exactly why he felt the need to protest.

"The worst thing that's happening right now is not Donald Trump. You might impeach or he may stay for years, that's not the problem," said Ghanim. "The most important thing and most dangerous thing to democracy here is normalizing what's wrong. That's how we're raised under a dictatorship, to normalize what's wrong,"

He said in Egypt, corrupt behavior — seeing a president as a thug — was normalized for generations to the point where it just became normal for everyone. "This is the most dangerous thing to democracy."
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I've posted here up thread about unintended or trickle down consequences inherent in the Medicaid cuts that are proposed in the current Senate HC bill.
        No cuts are proposed in the Senate HC bill. The rate of increase is lowered. The ACA almost doubled Medicaid spending in 2017 in order to get the "score" they wanted, and it was assumed that. in 2017, Hillary would pass full single-payer

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
          No cuts are proposed in the Senate HC bill. The rate of increase is lowered. The ACA almost doubled Medicaid spending in 2017 in order to get the "score" they wanted, and it was assumed that. in 2017, Hillary would pass full single-payer
          Geezer, you know the slowed rate of increase mem is coming out of the administration. It's spin. While it's not factually incorrect, it does not change what is happening to Medicaid in the Senate version of their HC Bill.

Federal funding for the states is decreasing. The net result is that states will struggle to provide Medicaid Services to current recipients of it. The hardest hit will be those getting mental health and substance abuse help. States that accepted Federal funds to expand Medicaid will take the biggest hit.

I provided a link up thread to a study that demonstrates in the long haul, it costs more to neglect the medical needs of the poor/undeserved than it does to provide services. Some are fine with this. I get the logic of reducing the Federal burden for HC. I just don't agree with it.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• How long do we have to wait until we have a Single Payer government system? I think it's inevitable. How many other advanced countries do not have such a system. None. We have worshipped at the altar of free "enterprise", "free markets", etc. for decades. These just don't work and ours doesn't either.

What do insurance companies add? Nothing. They just skim their profits out of system for their shareholders.

I was once of those market driven system worshippers but have seen what happens to the underdogs in our society. It took me several decades to finally see the light. Everybody has to have health care and free markets only care about the providers, not the recipients. I consider health care a right. It is like public safety. If someone wants to provide some private add-on that's his right but we all need a system that provides basic care for everyone. And not care that is provided only in the emergency room.

Comment

• How unpopular is Chris Christie when his own Lt. Governor (who's running to replace him) is publicly taking shots at the boos?

Comment

• Update on the "Voter Fraud Commission"...we're now up to 40 states that are refusing to cooperate with Kobach in part or completely. Some of the sharpest criticism has come from GOP Sec of State in Mississippi, South Carolina and Louisiana.

Comment

• Everybody has to have health care and free markets only care about the providers, not the recipients. I consider health care a right. It is like public safety.

Ribbit.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• NK claims last night was its first successful ICBM test, although both us and the Russians deny it. But I've seen some estimates online that given the height and time in the air, this one could potentially hit Alaska.

Comment

• Happy Independence Day!

Comment

• More info on North Korea and the US now acknowledging that it was a successful ICBM test.

Somewhat unsettling factoid: Kim Jong-Un has now test-fired more missiles in the past year than his father did during his entire rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          More info on North Korea and the US now acknowledging that it was a successful ICBM test.

Somewhat unsettling factoid: Kim Jong-Un has now test-fired more missiles in the past year than his father did during his entire rule.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.474aefba9ce7
                          Well....at least America elected a President who understands international diplomacy and won't lead us to nuclear war
                          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I have become That Guy that now hates fireworks.

#getoffmylawn

Comment

• FOX reported this morning that the number of food stamp recipients in Alabama is down 85% since the AL legislature attached a work requirement to eligibility.

Do you guys from Alabama think this is even close to correct?

Comment

• Is that all recipients? What about the single inner city parent with 4 kids and no child care options? Or worse case, the deadbeat who simply collects checks cuz that person has kids. There's a real fine line to punishing the kids for the sins of the parents. Did Faux News provide any detail/specifics or was it standard partisan spin?

25% of all American children (under 16) live below the poverty line. Sounds like Alabama is saying "We'll let your children starve unless you find a job". Kudos for them trying to reduce the number of people gaming the system, but lets not let fiscal conservatives ignore the harm to vulnerable children with the attitude, 'hey, its only poor peoples' kids that are affected".

Comment

Working...
                                X