X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beam him up Scotty.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• "This doesn't mean that humans are inherently racist, but rather that when we are constantly reminded to NOTICE race then we are required to constantly think past our natural instinct."

we are born with certain charactaristics that make us congregate close to people similar to us genetically
      animals tend to figure out real quick what installs fear or dependence or preservationin them
      don't see a lot of lions congregating with antelopes because antelopes and lions are both born with an inherent knowledge maybe I should eat this or maybe I should run from this

so all behaviors are learned--there are no genetics involved in developing into what we develop into

if 2 individuals are exposed to the exact same circumstances throughout their life they should be by this guys theory equally racist or similar in their views on race or creed or whatever

i disagree--I think genetics does figure into it --that two individuals exposed from day 1 to the exact same circumstances can come up with different views on things
      Last edited by crashcourse; August 22, 2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• I also disagreed with the comment on evolution. Natural selection has probably contributed to our fear of The Other. His assumption is backwards there.

But none of that changes what we can observe in children. Kids play with each other on the playground without regard to visible differences in race. And then they grow up and things change.

Complex stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
          "This doesn't mean that humans are inherently racist, but rather that when we are constantly reminded to NOTICE race then we are required to constantly think past our natural instinct."

we are born with certain charactaristics that make us congregate close to people similar to us genetically
          animals tend to figure out real quick what installs fear or dependence or preservationin them
          don't see a lot of lions congregating with antelopes because antelopes and lions are both born with an inherent knowledge maybe I should eat this or maybe I should run from this

so all behaviors are learned--there are no genetics involved in developing into what we develop into

if 2 individuals are exposed to the exact same circumstances throughout their life they should be by this guys theory equally racist or similar in their views on race or creed or whatever

i disagree--I think genetics does figure into it --that two individuals exposed from day 1 to the exact same circumstances can come up with different views on things
          You think youre born racist?

Comment

• nope not for the most part. maybe tiny likelihoods you could be based on genetics

I think the majority of people develop racial tendencies --the majority of "racist behavior" is innocent enough and I don't think there's nothing to be ashamed of being a little racist. its when you become angry at perceived racial inequalities that theres an issue

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
              "This doesn't mean that humans are inherently racist, but rather that when we are constantly reminded to NOTICE race then we are required to constantly think past our natural instinct."

if 2 individuals are exposed to the exact same circumstances throughout their life they should be by this guys theory equally racist or similar in their views on race or creed or whatever.
              Most phenotypes are of course changeable with experience, but you cannot change how the human brain works at the most fundamental level. Pattern recognition is deep down in our more primitive brain function.

You seem to be missing the part about how we act on this primitive recognition. There is your phenotype change.
              Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Ain't nothin wrong with being a little racist. Lots wrong in recognizing that and refusing to acknowledge or correct it.
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• crash wasn?t born no racist.

He was hatched. Nay, engineered, from the ground up, to be Brreitbart?s physical extension in this world. A plague on ?civilized? society and highbrow thinkers, much like his alma mater.

We can build him. We have the technology.

We just had to cut some corners on the quality of parts...

Comment

• Kids are colorblind. I think the piece is well argued, but that's diminished in the face of evidence. I recommend The Other, by Kapuscinski.

Comment

• That speech last night was a long slog for him to affirm that he was going to continue the previous two administration's policies. He said a lot of buzzwords, but nothing of consequence.

Comment

• Trump and McConnell haven't spoken in 2 weeks. Their last conversation became a shouting match.

The relationship between President Trump and Senator Mitch McConnell has disintegrated to the point that the men are no longer on speaking terms.

During the call, which Mr. Trump initiated on Aug. 9 from his New Jersey golf club, the president accused Mr. McConnell of bungling the health care issue. He was even more animated about what he intimated was the Senate leader’s refusal to protect him from investigations of Russian interference in the 2016 election, according to Republicans briefed on the conversation.

Mr. McConnell has fumed over Mr. Trump’s regular threats against fellow Republicans and criticism of Senate rules, and questioned Mr. Trump’s understanding of the presidency in a public speech. Mr. McConnell has made sharper comments in private, describing Mr. Trump as entirely unwilling to learn the basics of governing.

In offhand remarks, Mr. McConnell has expressed a sense of bewilderment about where Mr. Trump’s presidency may be headed, and has mused about whether Mr. Trump will be in a position to lead the Republican Party into next year’s elections and beyond, according to people who have spoken to him directly.

Comment

• Really interesting....DAMN LIBERAL MEDIA. Confirms a lot of what most here say regarding Fox News....

Comment

• I actually saw a truck today with an Infowars bumper sticker.

Comment

• Did crash wave back?
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                Kids are colorblind.
                                Not so much.

We often assume that it takes parents actively teaching their kids, for them to be racist. The truth is that unless parents actively teach kids not to be racists, they will be,” said Jennifer Richeson, a Yale University social psychologist. “This is not the product of some deep-seated, evil heart that is cultivated. It comes from the environment

Richeson compares children's instinctive formation of biases to a student at a new school. “When you arrive at a new high school. You are instinctively trying to figure out who’s cool, who’s not, who’s a nerd, who gets beat up? Kids quickly acquire these associations,” she said.

To get a sense of just how pervasive and imperceptibly our environment can affect us, one study at Tufts University found that even with a TV show on mute displaying scenes with no explicit discrimination, the nonverbal body language of black and white actors interacting was enough to cause watchers to test higher for implicit bias afterward.

“An us-them mentality is unfortunately a really basic part of our biology,” said Eric Knowles, a psychology professor at New York University who studies prejudice and politics. “There’s a lot of evidence that people have an ingrained even evolved tendency toward people who are in our so-called 'in group.'”

“It’s a myth that our country will somehow become more progressive. And it’s equally a myth to think that our children will save us,” Richeson said. Most of alt-right activists who sparked violence in Charlottesville, she pointed out, were young white men.

“There's data that shows young groups like millennials are more progressive and egalitarian. But that’s usually on issues like climate change or gay marriage, usually not in their level of implicit bias,” Richeson said.
                                Last edited by whodean; August 22, 2017, 08:49 PM.
                                Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
                                X