No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part of this is the NCAA's problem... they've been fat and happy and haven't done anything for the student athletes.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Goalie And Ref Try To Save Their Dad, Who Is Fighting In The Stands
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• LOL, I've seen those dads. Junior is on the ice gooning it up and dad is hammered in the stands and ready to go himself. Hockey's allright, but that part of it is silly.

Comment

• How to get an A- at UNC

Comment

• CBSSports.com has obtained a document detailing NCAA rules the power conferences would seek to change or amend in upcoming governance discussions.

The broad outline more formally recognizes those five conferences' desire to adjust rules dealing with agent contact, limits on coaching staff size and scholarship renewal.

According to sources, the document was distributed to college leaders by Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch, chair of the NCAA Steering Committee for Governance. That committee is overseeing the autonomy discussion among those five conferences – Big 12, Pac-12, SEC, ACC and Big Ten.

“I think what was reflected in that memo is a growing consensus,” Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said. “I think we're going to get there.”

Among the topics addressed in what is labeled an “Attachment to Memorandum”:

-- A lifetime opportunity fund that would allow former players to complete their education after leaving school. It would benefit players who depart early for the draft or who don't graduate after their eligibility expires.

This point was mentioned specifically by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany last summer.

-- Provide full cost of attendance to players. This long-discussed topic seems to a certainty in the future. Players would be given a prescribed amount extra in living expenses based on the cost of living in the particular college town.

-- Redefine rules governing agents. That's a preference of SEC commissioner Mike Slive. While Slive hasn't been specific about what those changes would be, assume that new rules would allow more contact with agents while players are in school.

Slive often uses the example of students in other majors having access to experts in that field. Why shouldn't an athlete be given the same advantages of a concert pianist who consults with great composer?

-- Meet the healthy, safety and nutritional needs of players.

Those first four bullet items had been previously mentioned among the commissioners.

New to the memorandum are these points the commissioners may want to change “if future circumstances warrant revision.” …

-- Addressing scholarships that are reduced, cancelled or not renewed at the whim of a coach. Coaches have been criticized for promising a full-ride in recruiting then have the power to cancel scholarships on a year-to-year basis.

In 1973, the NCAA went from four-year scholarships to one-year renewable scholarships.

-- Provide paid transportation for parents for official recruiting visits to championship events. (College Football Playoff, NCAA Tournament, bowls etc.)

-- Rescinding rules that inhibit a player's desire to pursue a non-athletic career. A Minnesota wrestler was declared ineligible last year because he posted music videos of himself online. NCAA rules prohibit a player from using his name or image for commercial use.

That rule seems to going away one way or another. Players' rights to their image and likeness are at the heart of the O'Bannon lawsuit.

-- Permit schools or players to get loans regarding “career-related” insurance.

-- Policies regarding athletes' time demands. Northwestern players were allowed to unionize, in part, because a National Labor Relations Board official concluded that players do devote at least 40 hours per week to their sport.

-- More flexible transfer rules.

At the January NCAA Convention, 70 percent of those at a governance dialogue voting in a straw poll were not against the five conferences gaining voting power in the legislative process.

“I've been impressed with the degree of alignment throughout Division I for allowing autonomy,” Scott said. “There is a recognition that has evolved for schools that have more resources up to the cost of attendance.”

The commissioners of those leagues began publicly lobbying last summer for voting autonomy. They want rules that fit the high-end stakeholders in college football and basketball (their schools). They also seek enhanced student-athlete welfare.

Last week, that steering committee advocated the addition of an AD, an athlete and faculty-athletic representative in the new governance system. Those new additions would have voting power and be part of a new legislative group called the “The Council.” As a whole, The Council would be made up of reps from the 32 Division I conferences and two athletes.

The 34 members would have votes, but those votes would be weighted. The five power conferences would have 37 percent of the vote. No Division I entity would have a majority of the vote.

Several big five ADs and commissioners have advocated more representation at the decision-making level.

Comment

• Just renewed my season tickets. The best game of the season is Oct 18th - Slippery Rock vs. Mercyhurst - tix are only $10 each!
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I'll take your 2nd ticket if nobody uses it! .. :-)
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Shoot, wish I would have known that. There wasn't a limit on the number I could buy. They're all general admission. Ask around and see if Doug, Stan, et al have renewed yet.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I've already renewed.

Comment

• Looking at the M website, it appears they're being offered up to the general public.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

I attended the last time SRSC (now SRU) played at UM Stadium and my foggy recollection was that the stadium was about half full. Shouldn't be a problem to sit in decent seats.

Comment

• I was just kidding. I'll get tix at the gate if I decide to go.

If its a good weather day it may be a cheap way to get back into the stadium again. I haven't been to a M game in Ann Arbor since RRod's last season.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I was at the original slippery rock shipensberg state game in TBH a long long time ago. a fun time
                          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• FDNY/NYPD Charity Hockey Game Features Bench-Clearing Brawl

I guess FDNY opposed the NYPD's attempt to bring stop and frisk to the game
                            Last edited by Tony G; April 6, 2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Gene Chizik Doesn't Look Too Happy About His Daughter's Prom Date

Gene Chizik's got his best disapproving dad pose going on in this prom photo. Hmmm, he's not too sure how he feels about you yet, kid. You better treat his daughter right. Be home by midnight. No funny business.
                              The boy's mother posted the [ame="https://twitter.com/JeriDickey/status/452610077720330240"]photo online[/ame], and though it appears that Chizik isn't too keen on his daughter's date, she said the former Auburn football coach does indeed like him, or at least tolerate him.
                              You can almost hear Chizik grumbling and grunting through the photo.

Comment

• I feel like that photo was done as a gag. Why would the person taking it frame it so that Chizik is even in it?

Comment

Working...
                                X