Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the best people in America...

Comment

• Most experts on Asia think this is what NK wants. Military action is unthinkable. Sanctions are not likely to work. I've heard talk that freezing access to the foreign banks that NK principals have cash in could create an environment where Un's opposition might work to remove him. I don't think China wants the instability on it's boarder in that case.

Most experts? Dunno about that. Very skeptical. Not that they would turn down a seat at the table, because dictators always like the legitimacy that bestows on them, but I doubt that's the real goal. That said, it wouldn't take freezing them out of the financial system to get opposition to work to remove him. That will happen when China wants it to. They can buy off his inner circle with what amounts to pocket change for them. This stops or stars according to what China wants. As far as I can see there's a pattern here -- NK rattles its saber the loudest when there's a new POTUS, which is likely China using NK as a tool to see what the new American leader is going to do. So it's pretty obvious what's different this time, and explains the heightened escalation.

Comment

• Flynn will be in court at 10:30 to plead guilty to lying to the FBI. He's taken some sort of deal.

The court document suggests Flynn lied to the FBI about two different matters. In December you'll recall Obama imposed new sanctions on Russia. Flynn denied having called the Russians and asking them not to react (presumably they'd lift them once in office). His plea today acknowledges that was a LIE.

The second matter is new to me. Flynn apparently called the Russians and asked them to delay or block a vote at the UN about a 'security council resolution'. The timeline has people speculating that this was probably UNSC 2334, which declared that Israeli settlement activity violated international law. You'll recall the US abstained on that vote and all other 14 members voted in favor. Trump/Flynn may have been asking the Russians to defeat the measure out of outrage over Obama's actions, but they declined.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          Flynn will be in court at 10:30 to plead guilty to lying to the FBI. He's taken some sort of deal.

The court document suggests Flynn lied to the FBI about two different matters. In December you'll recall Obama imposed new sanctions on Russia. Flynn denied having called the Russians and asking them not to react (presumably they'd lift them once in office). His plea today acknowledges that was a LIE.

The second matter is new to me. Flynn apparently called the Russians and asked them to delay or block a vote at the UN about a 'security council resolution'. The timeline has people speculating that this was probably UNSC 2334, which declared that Israeli settlement activity violated international law. You'll recall the US abstained on that vote and all other 14 members voted in favor. Trump/Flynn may have been asking the Russians to defeat the measure out of outrage over Obama's actions, but they declined.
          so no collusion? Feels bad man.

Comment

• I forgot about Obama's outrageous UN abstention.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Also, I realize the law is the law, but if what they have Flynn on is post-election conduct including contacts with the Russians that would have been permissible 6-8 weeks later, then....meh.

There better be more.

Comment

• I've mentioned this before but the way to deal with this is to acknowledge NK is now a fully nuclear capable state and give them a seat at the nuclear armed country's table.

Disagree about bringing NK to the 'acceptable' nuclear table (ala Pakistan). Murderous dictators must not be allowed. Who's next, Assad? Maybe Omar al-Bashir? Murderous dictators should be dealt with for they are, not given legitimacy. Kim is a real and present threat to the United States. That implacable threat needs to be neutered, not allowed to fester.
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  Also, I realize the law is the law, but if what they have Flynn on is post-election conduct including contacts with the Russians that would have been permissible 6-8 weeks later, then....meh.

There better be more.
                  I've read it is significant that the document being filed with the court today is a simple 2-page document called "Information" and not "Indictment". This makes it almost certain that he's taken a deal and from all accounts, they had him dead-to-rights on the lying charge...so why would they accept any sort of deal if that's all they had on him?

Read the court filing and plea agreement: Former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn has pleaded guilty to charges from special counsel Robert Mueller.

Comment

• Yeah, man, I'm not saying there isn't. I'm just saying that I literally find nothing wrong with Flynn talking to the Russians 4 weeks out from inauguration day. The lie, of course, is perjury.

So, I'm not saying there isn't more -- I am saying that me, personally, -- I don't really care about his talking to any country in December.

Comment

• The first reaction I have is that it is a plea deal and he is a cooperating witness which is what every news report was suggesting in the last week. But what he has to offer is anyone's guess, considering all of the stuff that was being reported about him this is fairly minor.

I suspect you won't hear much more info today in the hearing.

Comment

• I'd like to suggest that Mueller entering this plea agreement at 10:30 when the vote in the Senate on tax cuts and reform is scheduled for 11:00 is just another example of overt partisanship. Now, all the MSM will be talking about this Flynn matter all weekend.

I too had forgotten the abstention against Israel. Cowardly. Add that to my list of Obama foreign policy blunders in the ME.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                          I'd like to suggest that Mueller entering this plea agreement at 10:30 when the vote in the Senate on tax cuts and reform is scheduled for 11:00 is just another example of overt partisanship. Now, all the MSM will be talking about this Flynn matter all weekend.

I too had forgotten the abstention against Israel. Cowardly. Add that to my list of Obama foreign policy blunders in the ME.
                          Getting the public focused on Flynn rather than the tax bill could just as easily be seen as a good thing for Congressional Republicans

Comment

• Comment

• *yawn*
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I'm not sure walling off California would be good for the US economy, but that's an opinion of the elites.

Comment

Working...
                                X