Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
    I think it is revealing that Schissel (and the BOR) OK'ed the Harbaugh offer. Everyone, including me, thought Schissel, with his background, was not interested in playing college sports, esp. football and basketball, at a high level. No question, that concern has been completely blown out of the water.
    My take since day 1 of the Schlissle era has been that: A. He doesn't give a rat's ass about athletics because his job is to ensure that the University of Michigan continues to be a premier public institution that provides education and research to the betterment of society. B. He understands that the massive turmoil in the football program detracts from his ability to accomplish A. Therefore, his only interest as far as football is concerned, is for it to be "fixed" so he doesn't have to deal with it anymore. Think of us fans/alumni as spoiled children who need to be placated. All he wants is everyone to STFU and leave him alone to run the university. He's smart enough to learn this shit on the fly, which he has apparently done. Empower the right people, like Hackett, give them the resources to succeed, and turn them loose. I like it. I like it a lot.

Comment

Since rumors of 6/48 hit the street last week, I have heard several sports analysts bemoan what M has set in motion. A high stakes game of escalating athletic department salaries and costly investments in state of the art athletic facilities to draw top HS kids to your school, to play high stakes football and ring up enough revenue to pay for all this.
      The arms race started in earnest about a decade ago. Michigan is only (finally) taking their seat at the table. They thought "if they built it, they would come" but what they found out instead is that you need to pay whatever it takes to get the right coaches in there to run the program. It was a hard lesson that they have finally learned.

Comment

Who cares whether or not they get a degree or learn anything other than how to play football or basketball enabling them to make millions in those endeavors at the professional level.
        My thoughts exactly.

Comment

And by-God, I'm glad my alma mater has joined the arms race with the objective of dominating it.
          AMEN AND HALLELUJAH!!

Comment

• Think of us fans/alumni as spoiled children who need to be placated.

Might be on to something there...

Comment

• Mike ..... all you posts in response to mine ..... spot on. Esp. like your take on Schissell getting the fuck out of the way.

Others who I have been speaking to about his role in all of this are in agreement. He's a very smart guy but wants nothing to do with getting involved with the football or basket ball program.

Hire the right people, pay them well, back them up with resources to get the job done and when they tell you this is what I need and leave them alone.

Makes me wonder how in the hell Dave Brandon got hired as AD. What were people thinking! Stan knew. WTF, Stan, you just sat back and let It happen? I'm SOOOOOO disappointed in you.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I'll go along with scapegoating Stan.

Comment

• I saw The Book of Mormon Saturday night. Pretty funny show. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are geniuses. Plus, the lead is a Michigan grad.

Not sure how I feel about picking on the Mormons though. They are a pretty easy target.
                  Last edited by Hannibal; December 22, 2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Cool!

Mind if I take it for a spin some time?

:-)
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• If he was a real forumite, he's sail up along the Atlantic, through the Hudson River, Great Lakes and have a pickup in Lake Huron or St. Clair somewhere. But he's probably got it booked for Village People cover bands.

Comment

• OP and Village People?

Never.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• He and Woodson certainly went down different paths:

Biggest Draft Busts...

1. Ryan Leaf, Washington St., QB (No. 2 overall, 1998): Tossing 36 picks in four disastrous NFL seasons, Leaf moved back to his native Montana and was arrested for stealing to feed a prescription medication addiction. He was sentenced to five years in jail in 2013 but was released in December of 2014.
                            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• wonder if he got addicted to pain pills
                              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• That's Leaf? For a minute I was thinking it was OP, and that he looks a lot less, um, ``fabulous'' than his posts would indicate. But I guess that's Leaf, and not OP.

Comment

Working...
                                X