Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Especially in Tongie.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Tonganoxie is the garden spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        California requires housing developers to build "affordable" housing units when doing big builds. That will, of course, impact developers in a couple ways. First, they'll find ways to make their money by, you know, jacking up prices on the other houses. Second, if they can't find ways to make enough money they just won't build.

But, that in and of itself is somewhat workable. I mean, it leads to the barbel effect which is basically what California is, now. But housing wouldn't necessarily dwindle b/c there is still much money to made off the wealthy.

But, added to that, zoning regulations are brutal across the state: http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-p...ousing-supply/. One reason is that localities are incentivized to go away from new housing (look at the point on Prop 13 in the link infra).

Experts estimate that California has had an annual shortfall of about 80,000 houses and that is the biggest reason for the current "housing crisis."

A good look at how fucked up the California housing market is: https://calmatters.org/articles/hous...gh-california/

But, yeah, we're suppose to let them off their federal obligations.
        Opposite extreme from this is maybe the Houston situation where the 'wild west' mentality reigns and housing developments, even entire communities, get built in flood plains or dam watersheds. It keeps housing cheap but there's quite often an eventual cost there too and people who had nothing to do with a bad policy end up helping pay to fix it.

Comment

• Geezer,

I am fine with the Midwest not subsidizing Seattle. Does that mean that Seattle can stop subsidizing the Midwest then?
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I am fine with the Midwest not subsidizing Seattle. Does that mean that Seattle can stop subsidizing the Midwest then?
            I would have never thunk it, but it seems like SLF and DSL are arguing for an end to federal programs and a return to pure state-based stuff. Fuck it. Let's go local. You guys have convinced me. Each state takes care of its own as it sees fit.

Incidentally, at least in 2014, the giver states were Midwest states: https://www.theatlantic.com/business...takers/361668/

Oh, and Washington was a taker state.

So, you know, that turns out to be some god-awful sass.
            Last edited by iam416; December 20, 2017, 02:28 PM.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Opposite extreme from this is maybe the Houston situation where the 'wild west' mentality reigns and housing developments, even entire communities, get built in flood plains or dam watersheds. It keeps housing cheap but there's quite often an eventual cost there too and people who had nothing to do with a bad policy end up helping pay to fix it.
              Remedying Houston's damage incurred from a 100 year flood is way easier than creating middle class housing in California. Anyway, it's destined for a statewide barbell distribution and that's fine. Or rather, I don't really give a flying fuck.

I'll go ahead and buy a 3500 square foot monstrosity complete with badass pool and pay for my increased home insurance rates. You can take what I'm spending and pick yourself out a nice 1BR apartment in Santa Monica or a studio in San Francisco.
              Last edited by iam416; December 20, 2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Trump threatens to take away foreign aid from any country that votes to condemn the US Jerusalem move tomorrow.

Comment

Remedying Houston's damage incurred from a 100 year flood is way easier than creating middle class housing in California. Anyway, it's destined for a statewide barbell distribution and that's fine. Or rather, I don't really give a flying fuck.

I'll go ahead and buy a 3500 square foot monstrosity complete with badass pool and pay for my increased home insurance rates. You can take what I'm spending and pick yourself out a nice 1BR apartment in Santa Monica or a studio in San Francisco.
                  You can build the Beverly Hillbillies mansion of your dreams. You'll still be in Houston.

Point. Set. Match.

Comment

• Says the man living palatially in Lancaster. And I believe you mean the city home to the American League and World Series champions, flood plain or not.

Comment

• I have it good information that AlabamAlum makes $12.45/hr plus tips and manages to live in a 4000 square foot Dothan palace.

Meanwhile, SLF has the most prestigious post-graduate degree known to mankind and is currently paying $2000/mo to share a refrigerator box on the docks with a mid-level Microsoft software programmer.

Comment

Says the man living palatially in Lancaster. And I believe you mean the city home to the American League and World Series champions, flood plain or not.

For the cost of a mere Houston McMansion you could buy 5 city blocks in Cairo, Illinois. Biggest value of all!

If you could be pried away from your Upper Arlington Xanadu, that is, o great Kublai Khan.

Comment

• I prefer Houston. It has jobs and such.

But, alas, if Upper Arlington was good enough for Jack Nicklaus it shall be good enough for me. Your irrational hatred of the Golden Bear sickens me. Though, I do appreciate the Ds willingness to encourage scofflawing federal obligations in the name of building the newest Nicklaus Community Golf Course.

Comment

• Houston is okay. I could easily live in Austin.
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• shaddup and drink your Starbucks bucko
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

I have it good information that AlabamAlum makes $12.45/hr plus tips and manages to live in a 4000 square foot Dothan palace.
                                Hahaha. Dothan has a great microbrewery called Folklore. It is out in the middle of nowhere. Christmas lights strung everywhere, cornhole, card games, board games, fire pits, a dog run.

They make a great selection of beers and mead and have some guy out there grilling burgers. Just a great place. It's my favorite place in Southeast Alabama.

Comment

Working...
                                X