No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am unaware of any sophisticated study of the economic impact of a presidential appearance at the Championship Game of the College Football Playoffs (CFP). But no study is necessary for the intuitive sense that a presidential appearance is a positive bump. I’ll bet my 401K that ESPN will pan to the President more often than most fans make potty trips. Some will watch for Trump expressions and related Tweets more attentively than rating Super Bowl commercials. If there are Trump Tweets during the game, will ESPN broadcast them? Probably. Will announcers Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit be mute on their observations? I think not. At the very least, fans from both teams will be looking for whether he is rooting for them. If ESPN promotes the Trump occasion during the week, viewership will likely increase. So will ratings. And so will future media rights fees for the event. The Power 5 conferences are part of the revenue sharing of those fees, which do indeed trickle down to teams within that conference, according to the formula promulgated by that conference.

Comment

• Please give me other question about the commons. As a general rule, national defense and protection of the rule of law are the two proper functions of government. These functions protect life, liberty and property, which inure benefit to all of society.

"As a general rule" if one is an extreme libertarian. Which is basically the other side of communism's coin. An impossible utopia born of a poorly-conceived conviction that falls apart once key elements of human nature are introduced. As long as you're in it, it's not going to be a serious discussion. You will likely cling to your egghead nonsense and ignore measurable reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
        .....Unlike anarchists and total libertarians, I believe there are certain things which are held in common by society.

.......Please give me other question about the commons. As a general rule, national defense and protection of the rule of law are the two proper functions of government. These functions protect life, liberty and property, which inure benefit to all of society.
        I think what you are presenting is pure sophistry.

There is a distinct difference between the use of the word common as in the role of government in providing for the common defense and the commons as it is used in William Forster Lloyd's work as it is explained in the Wiki link (I have never read or studied his economic concepts).

In the preamble to the constitution providing for the common defense means defense for everyone. The constitution, as I read it, says nothing about the government having any role in providing the protection of or managing the commons, as I understand what that means in Lloyd's work (e.g. the fisheries, lakes and streams and so forth).

Noble undertaking for sure if you assign that sort of thing to government. I guess you're all in favor then of the EPA as a governing and regulating body of the US Government. Peculiar if you are.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Please give me other question about the commons. As a general rule, national defense and protection of the rule of law are the two proper functions of government. These functions protect life, liberty and property, which inure benefit to all of society.

"As a general rule" if one is an extreme libertarian. Which is basically the other side of communism's coin. An impossible utopia born of a poorly-conceived conviction that falls apart once key elements of human nature are introduced. As long as you're in it, it's not going to be a serious discussion. You will likely cling to your egghead nonsense and ignore measurable reality.
          My statement itself shows that I am not an "extreme libertarian". Government has a place. But that place is to promote a market economy as much as possible and to protect the citizenry. It is not "An impossible utopia born of a poorly-conceived conviction that falls apart once key elements of human nature are introduced."(whatever that means) The key element of human nature is that men are evil. All conservative thought arises from this truth.

Hack says " You will likely cling to your egghead nonsense and ignore measurable reality." I have no idea what that means, but believing man is evil is certainly not nonsense. Those like Jeff and Hack believe that if we get the right person, the "man of gold" in Plato's argumentation, and give him the power, we will have heaven on earth. The Catholic Church believes the Pope talks to God. Democrats believe that if we can only find the right person, we will have social justice and egalitarianism.

None of this is true.

The best we can do is to minimize the destruction that the powerful can do by atomizing everything. That is why there are five services. That's why the Founders gave us three co-equal branches of government. "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

So I'd ask hack and Jeff and any other progs, can you show me any governmental system based on the belief that "if we get the right person, we'll have heaven on earth." That is just another way of saying that men are good, and we simply need the right man (as a Pope for instance), or Hillary Clinton, and we will heaven on earth.

That is not true now, AND NEVER HAS BEEN TRUE THROUGHOUT HUMAN HISTORY.
          Last edited by Da Geezer; January 5, 2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
            I am unaware of any sophisticated study of the economic impact of a presidential appearance at the Championship Game of the College Football Playoffs (CFP). But no study is necessary for the intuitive sense that a presidential appearance is a positive bump. I?ll bet my 401K that ESPN will pan to the President more often than most fans make potty trips. Some will watch for Trump expressions and related Tweets more attentively than rating Super Bowl commercials. If there are Trump Tweets during the game, will ESPN broadcast them? Probably. Will announcers Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit be mute on their observations? I think not. At the very least, fans from both teams will be looking for whether he is rooting for them. If ESPN promotes the Trump occasion during the week, viewership will likely increase. So will ratings. And so will future media rights fees for the event. The Power 5 conferences are part of the revenue sharing of those fees, which do indeed trickle down to teams within that conference, according to the formula promulgated by that conference.
            The obvious question then becomes why ESPN is normalizing the president lol.

I saw one of their castors ask why the Astros accepted his invite to the WH, and why it is bad to normalize this president.

MSNBC with footballs.

Comment

• Please stand by for an important message from our President

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/949498795074736129[/ame]

Comment

• That is not real, is it?
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                  My statement itself shows that I am not an "extreme libertarian". Government has a place. But that place is to promote a market economy as much as possible and to protect the citizenry. It is not "An impossible utopia born of a poorly-conceived conviction that falls apart once key elements of human nature are introduced."(whatever that means) The key element of human nature is that men are evil. All conservative thought arises from this truth.

Hack says " You will likely cling to your egghead nonsense and ignore measurable reality." I have no idea what that means, but believing man is evil is certainly not nonsense. Those like Jeff and Hack believe that if we get the right person, the "man of gold" in Plato's argumentation, and give him the power, we will have heaven on earth. The Catholic Church believes the Pope talks to God. Democrats believe that if we can only find the right person, we will have social justice and egalitarianism.

None of this is true.

The best we can do is to minimize the destruction that the powerful can do by atomizing everything. That is why there are five services. That's why the Founders gave us three co-equal branches of government. "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

So I'd ask hack and Jeff and any other progs, can you show me any governmental system based on the belief that "if we get the right person, we'll have heaven on earth." That is just another way of saying that men are good, and we simply need the right man (as a Pope for instance), or Hillary Clinton, and we will heaven on earth.

That is not true now, AND NEVER HAS BEEN TRUE THROUGHOUT HUMAN HISTORY.
                  Holy shit, you senile fuck. What are you talking about???

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                    That is not real, is it?
                    Oh it's real. And it was only the appetizer for this morning...

Comment

• Please stand by for a very important, very normal, and very beautiful message from the President of the United States

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/949616329463615489[/ame]

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/949618475877765120[/ame]

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/949619270631256064[/ame]

Comment

• Donald Trump is the perfect president for Da Geezer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Jesus. This fucking moron is the President of the United States.

Winning!
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Look on the bright side, at least we're going to get the Gorilla channel.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              Look on the bright side, at least we're going to get the Gorilla channel.
                              Ha! A lot of people fell for that one.

Comment

• President Fredo

Comment

Working...
                                X