No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geezer.... Since Trump is in charge, nothing will be done and Florida will flip. In the end, D's are better off remaining somewhat quite on the issue.

All those R's who are siding with Trump and going along for the ride are setting back the party, not only because of Trump's behavior, but flipping a battle ground state to a most likely lock for the D's. And the R's are to blame for this... no question in my mind.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• At this point, given Geezer's tendency to invent his own "facts", I don't believe a word of any of it.
      Back before you became overtly hostile, you might remember my position on charitable giving. I believe charitable giving should NOT be tax deductible BECAUSE it deprives the giver of the joy of giving. We talked about that 3-4 years ago.

Hack, rather than personal attacks, how about you seeing what a ton or two of food costs a food bank in the DC area. Don't just give them a check, get your hands "dirty". Bring your son when the truck arrives and let him help the food bank workers unload the truck. Then bring him to the bank weekly and see that the food is being used. What a joy that will be to him.

Much more effective than bringing him to a lecture by an anti-American communist. That, sir, is when our relationship broke down.
      Last edited by Da Geezer; January 16, 2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Dem's launch smear campaign against trans woman to keep straight white men in power..
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I remember most of your positions, which isn't hard because you are rather repetitive. On the other hand you also tend to vary your justifications, so I have a good feel for how you represent them differently over time. This ``deprives the giver the joy of giving'' wasn't your original justification.

Anyhow, I personally give exclusively to environmental causes, and I hope you will find my kid's civic engagement equally horrifying. He raised $500 last year to save his favorite threatened species, and also volunteers at a community garden. It feeds people fresh vegetables and not cans of junk past their expiry date.

Comment

• Geezer.... Since Trump is in charge, nothing will be done and Florida will flip. In the end, D's are better off remaining somewhat quite on the issue.

All those R's who are siding with Trump and going along for the ride are setting back the party, not only because of Trump's behavior, but flipping a battle ground state to a most likely lock for the D's. And the R's are to blame for this... no question in my mind.
            Once again I post the article that Talent originally posted: http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30...-the-outgroup/

Entropy, it is important you read this. I recall when you talked to 4 of your friends at a soccer game, and they still had an animus toward Trump. The author of the article has 150 friends, none of which disagree with him. IMO, you are in the same situation as the author with your wife being bombarded with NEA nonsense.

I've sent that article to every progressive friend I have. One, in particular, was my golf league partner during the Clinton Scandals. He is a (now) retired teacher, as is his wife went to Hope College with me. We have determined to be friends, no matter what.

One of the best things about this forum is that we disagree. Do you have any friends who say things contrary to what you believe? How about arguing? The value of this forum to me is that I can hear from persons with whom I disagree, and I can hear it unvarnished. What other "relationship" do you have in which you can express your opinion in an unvarnished manner? I have none.

And, to get personal, EVERYONE on this forum wished you well when you had a cancer scare. EVERYONE. AA likes to use the analogy of a bunch of guys sitting at a bar and discussing politics. That is right. But we all value this way of expressing our opinion and arguing about what we think. Where else does this happen?

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
              Geezer.... Since Trump is in charge, nothing will be done and Florida will flip. In the end, D's are better off remaining somewhat quite on the issue.

If R's win in Wis, PA and MI, they don't technically need Florida. Not likely a good long term strategy but neither would signing DACA amnesty with chain migration, which would bring in a total of over 9 million votes in the next 10 years, how are the Republicans so dumb on this issue?

Comment

• I did what now? Anywho -- humanize politics; don't politicize humans. Whatever.

The moment you start talking about individual actions it becomes personal and/or sits on the razor's edge. I think the board would be well-served to avoid injecting an individual's own actions and personal history into the conversation, and focus on the theory, policy and the politics. Those personal points typically only serve to support the anecdotal ("in my experience...") or the hypocritical ("aha, you don't even do..."). Anecdotal evidence is not persuasive (IMO) and the position is the position, whether articulated by a hypocrite or Lord William Tecumseh Sherman himself.

Burn down strawmen, make grossly overbroad attributions, cite questionable studies and facts; provide laughable links. That's all part of the dance. I don't think it's necessary, though, to take AA to task for being a despicable administrator -- the central and entire problem to our healthcare woes.

That's JMO. But, then again, I'd have AlabamAlum drawn and quartered for discussing pisswater mexican beer.
                Last edited by iam416; January 16, 2018, 12:54 PM.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Hahaha. Excellent.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Thirded
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Anyhow, I personally give exclusively to environmental causes, and I hope you will find my kid's civic engagement equally horrifying. He raised $500 last year to save his favorite threatened species, and also volunteers at a community garden. It feeds people fresh vegetables and not cans of junk past their expiry date.
                      Two tons for $ 800.00. One ton for $ 400.00. How many tons does your son produce in his "feel-good" garden?

What was this "threatened species" that he raised $ 500,00 to protect?

I say your son would make more impact by purchasing a ton of food and giving it to people in need. That is 2,000 pounds. How much food was actually delivered to poor folks who needed it from the feel-good garden?

Maybe, in 2018, you might ask your son to raise $ 500.00 and buy food with it. I understand that his bushel of fresh tomatoes might be wonderful, but I live in one of the poorest counties in MI and poor folks here (including a large number of illegals) want to feed their families. They are delighted with 50lbs of rice and 40lbs of beans. They don't have to take the "expired" canned goods, but most of them do. Does that make them stupid? I have the belief that these folks who are actually hungry are "rational actors" and are choosing what is best for their families. Why hold them in disdain?
                      Last edited by Da Geezer; January 16, 2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• in countdowns most of the world anxiously awaits for #1 while we on the otherhand are stuck with #5

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                          Geezer.... Since Trump is in charge, nothing will be done and Florida will flip. In the end, D's are better off remaining somewhat quite on the issue.

Any inattention to the Puerto Rico situation is ridiculous for any side, it shouldn't matter about future electoral results. Unfortunately coverage has moved on from this and media coverage drives the government to do things it wouldn't ordinarily do. The citizens in Puerto Rico deserve the same type of response as any other American citizen.

Comment

• You offer them food unfit for consumption by the vast majority, and are saying I hold them in disdain. Maybe you're just looking to wind things up, but you're not fooling anybody, and this not my problem nor my interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                              Hire another employee. Give someone out of work or fresh out of college a job and a career to build on. We've had the need for one for a number of years.
                              Thanks. Well played.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                Thanks. Well played.
                                we just offered someone a job.

so

might actually get to take some time off after years of being understaffed and overworked.

Comment

Working...
                                X