No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, the natural gas boom in the US has certainly helped with emissions. Or rather caused the reduction. God bless those fracking motherfuckers.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      Music is one of "The Six Essentials" that makes life worth living. The others, of course, are good food, art, literature, sport, and companionship.

Someone of low consequence mentioned Night Ranger earlier (I forget who - Wiz or one of his multis, probably). They were a poor man's Journey. For those of you who read music, note the chord progressions of Night Ranger vs Journey. Very similar. I am not a huge fan, though - of either group. But to each their own.

With music, I try not to disparage anyone's choices (unless it's Rush or Zepp), because all music touches people and evokes memories in different ways. For example, I will never forget driving across Iowa on a clear July night. I was about 30 miles outside of Sioux City. Nothing on the road except the faded white center stripe and the cracks in the road caused by the harsh winters. Off in the distance, I could see fireworks while I blared Maria Callas' "Casta Diva". The fireworks and music's tempo started slowly and increased. As Ms Callas reached the crescendo of the piece, the fireworks followed suit. It was perfect. I shall never forget it. Now that piece by Callas is tied in my mind to the 4th of July, and - unfortunately - Iowa (not everything is a positive).
      I did NOT reference Night Ranger you simpleton...

I referenced The Monkees...moron...

hi
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Do you mistake me for supporting the policy?
        I don't much care if you support the policy or not. It's not in my calculations. What I found very fascinating is what I posted about. I was totally clueless about the EU shell game. I had no idea WOOD, of all things, was so prevalent in power generation. And I love the EU con.

And I thought others might be similarly surprised and interested -- apparently Geezer was.

Comment

With music, I try not to disparage anyone's choices (unless it's Rush or Zepp), because all music touches people and evokes memories in different ways. For example, I will never forget driving across Iowa on a clear July night. I was about 30 miles outside of Sioux City. Nothing on the road except the faded white center stripe and the cracks in the road caused by the harsh winters. Off in the distance, I could see fireworks while I blared Maria Callas' "Casta Diva". The fireworks and music's tempo started slowly and increased. As Ms Callas reached the crescendo of the piece, the fireworks followed suit. It was perfect. I shall never forget it. Now that piece by Callas is tied in my mind to the 4th of July, and - unfortunately - Iowa (not everything is a positive).
          Son, you're in America now. The stripe in the middle of the road is supposed to be yellow. Otherwise, you are mostly correct. You can't have Led Zeppelin in that spot, but I'll give you Rush, though I don't need to tell people they're wrong about Rush. In my opinion U2 is clearly factually objectively the one for which people need to be told the are not entitled to their own opinion. Anchorman not anchorlady.

Comment

• This center stripe was indeed white:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I'm literally just amazed. And I'm embarrassed that I am. I should know better.

1. Set some sort of preposterous goal.
              2. Realize solar and wind aren't remotely close to meeting that goal.
              3. Hey, ummm, trees are renewable, right?
              4. Yeah, but are they carbon neutral? Sure, sure. Let's say they are.
              5. Great, wood it is!
              6. As The Economist says (another awful source), it's like an industry sprang from nothing!
              7. But, hey, the market wants what the market wants. Government policy wouldn't push the market.
              8. Um, yeah, about wood being carbon neutral -- it is if you're burning waste/excess, but if you're just cutting down trees not so much.
              9. Ok, well, it's still better than natural gas, right? Uh, no. Well, coal, then? Well, I mean, in 100 years it is -- but not short term.
              10. Fuck me.
              11. Yeah, but about those goals....
              12. Indeed...ok, it's still a renewable, we'll still subsidize the shit out of it.
              13. Great, we'll meet our numbers.

Fucking right out The Wire.

Comment

• For Hack (featuring Canada's greatest performer):

[ame]https://youtu.be/L8rcJ9nnc_o[/ame]
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• By the light o' the peat-fire flame,
                  Light for love, for lilt o' laughter,
                  By the light o' the peat-fire flame,
                  The light the hill-folk yearn for.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    I don't much care if you support the policy or not. It's not in my calculations. What I found very fascinating is what I posted about. I was totally clueless about the EU shell game. I had no idea WOOD, of all things, was so prevalent in power generation. And I love the EU con.

And I thought others might be similarly surprised and interested -- apparently Geezer was.
                    It kinda does look like a con, but neither of us know that. I have no knowledge of this and you appear to have read a suite of spun sources you'd rather take at face value despite ample reason to do the opposite. Did you track back to the Chatham House piece or just used the name as validation for a spun source? It could be interesting to have a policy discussion based on facts, certainly. But your yourself say you are interested in VCs and entrepreneurs and investment, this is a specific area where there's plenty to talk about, and I've pointed out the market signals we're seeing. Yet here you are pounding away at a probably-stupid policy, as if it's something uncommon.

Comment

This center stripe was indeed white:

Canadienne is skooled!

Comment

• It looks to me like the stripe you are referring to is on the right. I think most of the time you find the middle of the road in the middle of the road, and not off to the right. But I'm just a Canadian who shares citizenship with someone most of us are grateful lives in the US now and not Canada. I could be wrong. (We also exported Bieber, which was a win. We'd take Neil Young back in a heartbeat though. Would you take Neil Peart for him?)

Comment

• any fool who casts the creators of houses of the holy/the untitled album/the self titled first 3 albums and of course physical graffiti into the same sentence as rush/night ranger and journey is a dolt and needs to be ignored
                          in regards to this 4 page memo

The Committee is actively seeking the input of colleagues who have read the memo regarding next steps, including public release.

Public release would follow the step-by-step process laid out in House Rules.

I expect that that will happen.
                          — Rep. Chris Stewart (@RepChrisStewart) January 21, 2018

I would expect the state of the union to be full of some fireworks

Comment

• Did you track back to the Chatham House piece or just used the name as validation for a spun source
                            I provided a link in my post to the article. I read the highlights on the front page. And then I read the Summary of the Report. Since I provided the link you can do the same -- it seems like you got so frothy over my Forbes link that you entirely missed that. To quote, from CHATHAM HOUSE:

Overall, while some instances of biomass energy use may result in lower life-cycle emissions than fossil fuels, in most circumstances, comparing technologies of similar ages, the use of woody biomass for energy will release higher levels of emissions than coal and considerably higher levels than gas.
                            I also quoted extensively from The Economist in the post preceeding the Forbes/Chatham post. Another dubious source to be sure.

I quite understand this interests you not one fucking lick because, hey, at least the EU is moving in the right direction! However, if the dubious shithole Chatham House is to be believed, the short-term impact of wood is actually worse than COAL! The very long-term impact is less. It strikes me that if you believe climate change is a huge threat to human existence then you're pretty fucking concerned about the near term. So, perhaps the EU juking the game with wood should concern someone that holds that opinion.

But your yourself say you are interested in VCs and entrepreneurs and investment, this is a specific area where there's plenty to talk about, and I've pointed out the market signals we're seeing
                            I'm plenty interested in entrepreneurs and eventual VC funding in all markets. Some markets have organic demand and others have government-induced demand. It matters not to me where the demand comes from. It matters only that US folks have a chance to create lots of jobs.
                            Last edited by iam416; January 22, 2018, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• cbs seems to be the only mainstream network besides fox putting this story out

A number of conservative House Republicans are demanding the release of a House Intelligence Committee memo about the FBI, FISA surveillance and the Russian dossier

Comment

• and now all we need is another independent investigation to start up.

Comment

Working...
                                X