No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norway's is skewed a bit. The thing is, the anti-gun people have been far worse at cherry picking stats than the other side. Like two kids shooting at the windows of an empty school bus with a BB gun on a Saturday listed as a "school shooting" and the guy who pulled into the lot of a closed school at night to kill himself listed as one, too.

The fact remains that mass shootings happen in other countries; that the belief that other countries don't have them is pure fairy tale.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The fact remains that many countries have no shootings at all or substantially fewer than the US but they the have same violent video games.

All the gun guys are looking for what to blame. Too many entrances into schools, video games, not enough armed teachers, tc etc, but they don't want to address the obvious constant.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• But anyway, this is America. If we as a society want the 2ndA repealed, it can be done. What shouldn't happen, however, is some unofficial repeal of that freedom through continued feel-good bureaucratic incrementalism.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
          All the gun guys are looking for what to blame. Too many entrances into schools, video games, not enough armed teachers, tc etc, but they don't want to address the obvious constant.
          I want to blame the guy who pulled the trigger.

Just like when a guy drives drunk and rams his Yukon into a minivan that kills a family, I don't want to blame Jim Beam, Chevy, the DMV for giving him a license, or the Eisenhower Interstate system- just the guy who drove drunk.
          Last edited by AlabamAlum; May 20, 2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• I just send my thoughts and prayers to the victims
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Good for you.

Comment

• Americans advance a lot of theories for why they have so many more gun deaths than other countries do. The answer is lying in plain sight.

What Explains U.S. Mass Shootings? International Comparisons Suggest an Answer

(Let me give you a hint. It ain't video games)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                  See Kapture's post on the existing gun laws in Texas that require gun owners to keep their guns locked up to prevent such acts as those that occurred in TX.

A law was broken by the father of the shooter. Arrest and prosecute him. If you are a gun owner and I believe the facts will demonstrate there are far more responsible than irresponsible ones, follow the laws or pay the consequences.

I'm not sure where Kapture or others here (Jon?) that generally support responsible gun ownership stand on this but I think it is reasonable to ban the manufacture and sale of large capacity ammunition feeding devices. I think that is one reasonable step to take, among others:

Here's some background on such laws one of which was passed in 1994 but expired in 2004:

Large capacity magazines enable shooters to fire more rounds consecutively. Banning them can help to prevent gun violence.

I understand the slippery slope argument that Kapture advances here and others elsewhere on most subjects involving gun control. I think that argument has limits to wit: why does a responsibly armed citizen need such a magazine to defend his property or his person. NB, I'm not going to denigrate the slippery slope argument regarding firearms in general only high capacity magazines. This keeps us here free of squabbling over the highly contentious definition of an assault rifle present any time the issue of gun control comes up. There are actually laws in place to make the ownership of fully automatic rifles and pistols unlawful anyway. Enforce them.

...... and I'll repeat: among other measures to take now is improved funding of and access to mental health resources to deal with the aberrant behavior that is present in any citizen that takes up a firearm of any type to carry out the planned and purposeful killing of innocents in public places. To this end I'd also advocate for giving law enforcement and school officials broader powers to investigate behavior identified by legitimate individuals as indicative of a person who may perpetrate a crime in the setting of public institutions (e.g., schools, theaters, courts, etc.), to reduce the number of single act deaths (mass shootings) with firearms.
                  i don't support limiting mags to 7 or 10 etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                    But anyway, this is America. If we as a society want the 2ndA repealed, it can be done. What shouldn't happen, however, is some unofficial repeal of that freedom through continued feel-good bureaucratic incrementalism.
                    Correct.

I got on-board with this approach when, after Parkland, 97yo retired Justice Stevens wrote that the best way to mitigate the powerful argument advanced by the NRA and some gun owners that produces this useless incrementalism re gun control is repeal of 2A.

There may be other less direct but nonetheless effective interventions such as those I have mentioned but this is the nut-crusher that has the best potential of stemming the ever increasing numbers of mass shootings.

Simple but I don't think repeal is a player.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                      i don't support limiting mags to 7 or 10 etc.
                      After Jon's post, I can't support it either.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• What exactly are “mass shootings”? That’s a prog favorite.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• That's a law enforcement term. I think it means 4 or more victims.
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Fair question. You know the answer though so, I won't answer it for you. I'll stop using the term and go back to this........ let's work on finding ways to reduce the number of shootings in public places where there is premeditated intent to inflict as many casualties as possible as guickly as possible with a firearm.

If 2A repeal and whatever follows from that is the way to go, I'm all for it.
                            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 20, 2018, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                              Fair question. You know the answer though so, I won't answer it for you. I'll stop using the term and go back to this........ let's work on finding ways to reduce the number of shootings in public places where there is premeditated intent to inflict as many casualties as possible as guickly as possible with a firearm.

If 2A repeal and whatever follows from that is the way to go, I'm all for it.
                              never.

Comment

• Also correct and aleady acknowledged by me.
                                However, never say never.

Comment

Working...
                                X