Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
    Not really sure how to respond here, as this is kind of drifting out there over Left Field.

No mention of banning all guns.

No comparison between TV courtroom dramas and cop/cowboy shows.

Agree with changing the culture....you are mistaken in falling back on the old saw of the Hollywood Boogieman however. It a reflection of who we are, not a cause. That was my point.

Movies and TV shows absolutely impact people's views. Are you suggesting a show like 'Making a Killer' didn't have an impact on how people viewed courts, specifically in Wisc?

And if we are talking left field, let's start out with me using Hollywood as an example of a cultural problem ...and you talking it out of context.. and posting about courtroom dramas (something that is recent rather than the decades of influence)
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
      Hoss said:

And to your point, we don't know how many terrorist plots have been foiled by the system we now employ. We only hear about the failures.
      This is the life of Intel I'm afraid. The successes are never as "interesting" as the failures.

I know one plot to attack Ft Riley was foiled, but it was by some local nut in lieu of Islamists, and I doubt the NFL (Heh) had anything to do with it. I thought it should have been a big story around here, but alas, no. Short mention on the local news was all.

C'est la vie.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
        Movies and TV shows absolutely impact people's views. Are you suggesting a show like 'Making a Killer' didn't have an impact on how people viewed courts, specifically in Wisc?

And if we are talking left field, let's start out with me using Hollywood as an example of a cultural problem ...and you talking it out of context.. and posting about courtroom dramas (something that is recent rather than the decades of influence)
        You're missing the larger picture, again.

Not saying movies/TV don't have an impact...I am saying the prevalence of violence in them is market-driven.

I used courtroom dramas as an example of your critique of the industry in, apparently, not glorifying stories with non-violent solutions. (In re: your mention of people using guns to solve their problems) They do...but they aren't nearly as popular.

You're love of My Little Pony for instance, is admirable, but sadly, somewhat unique.

Comment

• and that has SOOOO much to do with generations of reinforcement I'm discussing. And yes, variety shows were popular in the past too. So were sitcoms. And yet shows with gun violence still existed and were still popular. And have been for decades. It's a reinforcement of a belief that is fully ingrained in society. A gun protects you from those who will do you harm (either person or agency). It's in our culture. It's been reinforced over and over and over again.

JMO, but you won't change what has happened by gun laws alone.

it's ok hoss.. you're little worship of everything Hollywood is safe. It won't change because Hollywood loves money more than they love lecturing others how to act or behave.
          Last edited by entropy; June 23, 2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

it's ok hoss.. you're little worship of everything Hollywood is safe. It won't change because Hollywood loves money more than they love lecturing others how to act or behave.
              Hey, I agree there is a dichotomy between what Hollywood produces and what some of its popular faces say and do politically. If you're wanting to count political coup on that one you're about 30 years too late, but whatever.

My point is that they make what sells, not the reverse. IDK why you're getting all bitchy about it.

Comment

• I was in trial in Grand Forks ND with my partner. As the jury went out on a Friday, we had a free weekend. It was deer season in ND. My partner decided to go hunting over the weekend. There was a gun shop in downtown Grand Forks. We went down so he could buy a gun. He attempted to pay for his gun with an invalid credit card. The gun shop owner told him the card was bad and when my partner asked for it back, the gun shop owner told him he couldn?t give it back. He had to confiscate it. My partner got pissed and insisted he be given his card. The owner refused. I stepped in and I paid for the gun and ammo with my credit card. The gunshop owner rang up the sale and handed my partner the gun and ammo. As we walked out I began to laugh. My partner, now completely embarrassed and pissed yelled ?What are YOU laughing at? I replied. ?Richard only in America would you be considered more dangerous walking the streets with an invalid credit card than a gun and a box of ammo!?

Comment

• My point is that they make what sells, not the reverse.
                  If they only make what sells, how do explain flops? Plenty of "artistic" movies are made to support a cause.

I've never suggested Hollywood doesn't leverage what is popular. I know they do. But suggesting they only reflect society ... I just don't agree. They do leave impressions, reinforce ideas, and change opinions. They are significantly more than a mirror.

Comment

If they only make what sells, how do explain flops? Plenty of "artistic" movies are made to support a cause.

I've never suggested Hollywood doesn't leverage what is popular. I know they do. But suggesting they only reflect society ... I just don't agree. They do leave impressions, reinforce ideas, and change opinions. They are significantly more than a mirror.
                    Flops....shit just flops man. New Coke. Beta. Brady Hoke. Market research isn't perfect.

The truth is usually a matter of degrees....we probably don't agree on the degree of influence, which is fine. It varies from instance to instance and individual to individual anyway. We had a gun culture long before we had Hollywood though, on that I think we agree.

Comment

• New coke was bad.. and I was actually teasing you about flops...

Comment

• Comment

• Michigan native to receive Medal of Honor. Great story. There's a lot of folks who wouldn't be here today without his actions.

Major Charles Kettles managed to nurse his battered Bell UH-1 Huey back to Duc Pho on May 15, 1967 despite having been hit by a mortar which destroyed his windscreen and damaged his tail.

He says it belongs to the helicopter crew.

YPSILANTI, Mich. (AP) — A Vietnam War helicopter pilot recently selected to receive the Medal of Honor said Thursday he didn't hesitate to volunteer leading ...

The Sept 10 game against UCF is Military Apprecition Day. UM would do well to honor him in some way. He's from Ypsilanti.
                          Last edited by Mike; June 23, 2016, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• One thing that didn't flop...the McGriddle...

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Just when I start thinking there is no hope for The Wizard .. he makes a post like that...

Good work, man ... :::sniff:::
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                                One thing that didn't flop...the McGriddle...

The Arch Deluxe, on the other hand...

Comment

Working...
                                X