No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They will be much better off in the long run. Trade will still take place. It's just that now Britain will remain a truly sovereign state. The country can enter into whatever agreements it wants that it finds to be to its benefit. A wonderful thing happened yesterday. The nation state reasserted itself. It is part of a nationalist movmement that is sweeping the West right now in many forms. People not wanting to be ruled by leftist elites that they didn't elect or sharing a flag with people who have absolutely no common cultural history or heritage with them. Globalism wasn't begged for and demanded by the people. It was rammed down their throats by people who don't have their constituents' best interests at heart. The media and all of the Leftist elites like George Soros were begging for Brexit to fail and the populace gave them the middle finger. Good for them.
    Last edited by Hannibal; June 24, 2016, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      I think they'll be better off in the long-term. I tend to think the EU was a regulatory disaster. There will be some short-term pain, though.
      Correct. If you're invested, hold on to your ass.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• LOL

[ame="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/746272130992644096"]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/746272130992644096[/ame]

Comment

• With both hands :^)
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Hanni,
            I think you can probably find a few historical examples of nationalist populism going bad.
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I suspect the Dutch and the French will now demand an exit vote. Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay, and now wants to leave the UK. That won't look so appealing as the EU begins to fracture.

You can trace the rise of the "leave" vote from the day Obama told the Brits they could stand at the back of the "que".

This was partly a vote against an unelected bureaucracy representing the interests of the globalists.

Comment

• You can trace the rise of the "leave" vote from the day Obama told the Brits they could stand at the back of the "que".
                I honestly didn't know he told Brits that until I saw it this morning on the news. What an arrogant prick this "president" is. Hillary won't be much better, but man, this pinhead has to be the most self-serving "President" we've ever had. Sorry for those of you that like the guy, but that's my opinion.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Sounds like immigration became the lynchpin of the Brexit movement. The conservatives tried to base their support for leaving the EU on economic arguments but the people mostly want to keep out the steady stream of foreigners draining public services. Cameron had tried to take a tougher stance on imitation but kept bending to Brussels. I don't think the politicians who were in favor of remaining fully realized how fed up the people are about immigration.

Comment

• I know Obama spoke in Britain and urged them to stay in the EU but what are the specific comments you guys are referring to? I'd like to read about it, thanks. The more I learn about this, the more I see things like Hannibal on this issue. Good on the Brits for deciding they don't need a nanny in Belgium.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      I know Obama spoke in Britain and urged them to stay in the EU but what are the specific comments you guys are referring to? I'd like to read about it, thanks. The more I learn about this, the more I see things like Hannibal on this issue. Good on the Brits for deciding they don't need a nanny in Belgium.
                      Britain voted to leave the European Union after a bitterly divisive referendum campaign, toppling the government Friday, sending global markets plunging and shattering the stability of a project in continental unity designed half a century ago to prevent World War III.

From the article:

"The vote also was a rebuke to President Obama, who traveled to the UK earlier this year to urge voters to stay in the EU. Obama's warning that Brits would be relegated to the “back of the queue” in trade with the U.S. if they left prompted accusations the U.S. president was meddling in another nation's politics."

This kind of stupidity shows when Obama is speaking for HIMSELF rather than our country.

Comment

• Ultimately if the Brits want access to the EU market they'll need to follow EU product regulations anyways, so that's not something they were going to escape. I don't think you need to like the EU to believe that this was a bad idea. Silver lining though is that it'll be some fun schedenfreude if those smug pricks lose Scotland and Northern Ireland over this.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                          http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/06...l?intcmp=hpbt1

From the article:

"The vote also was a rebuke to President Obama, who traveled to the UK earlier this year to urge voters to stay in the EU. Obama's warning that Brits would be relegated to the ?back of the queue? in trade with the U.S. if they left prompted accusations the U.S. president was meddling in another nation's politics."

This kind of stupidity shows when Obama is speaking for HIMSELF rather than our country.
                          That's what this REALLY is all about. Brits weren't worried about immigration or pissed off about EU regulations. They wanted to give Fox the opportunity to take a dig at Obama while simultaneously enforcing the American perception that everything is about America anyways.

Comment

• btw...today is reconstitution day for the Russell 2000 (basically a rebalancing of the index), it is typically the highest day of trade volume for the index. Will be an interesting market close today.
                            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                              Hanni,
                              I think you can probably find a few historical examples of nationalist populism going bad.
                              Indeed you can, but I don't think that you can find a single historical example of government on the scale of the EU working successfully. The nation state is the optimal form of government. Empires fail because they are too big and their consituencies are way too diverse. The EU was subtly evolving into a de facto empire that was going to gradually erode the nations of Europe and it is governed by beauracrats completely lacking in accountability. I don't see any way to fix that problem.

I also predict that the economic doomsday scenarios being predicted will not come to pass. I have seen no evidence that the EU legitimately creates wealth.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; June 24, 2016, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                That's what this REALLY is all about. Brits weren't worried about immigration or pissed off about EU regulations. They wanted to give Fox the opportunity to take a dig at Obama while simultaneously enforcing the American perception that everything is about America anyways.
                                FTR, I think British citizens voted to leave the EU because of immigration and EU regulations. The majority decided that their nation's sovereignty was more important than allowing a group of politicians in Brussels to make decisions for them.

The slap at Obama is a delightful side effect that I'm quite enjoying, however.

Comment

Working...
                                X