Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
    Part of the ruling rationale was that statistically, wife beaters (like people who torture animals) show more than 2 standard deviations likelihood to commit gun violence or murder than those who do not participate in such activities.
    That makes sense to me and is a rational basis for the limit. that someone is an asshole or I disagree with them is not.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
      I hope she shoots you regardless.
      How's your wife and my kids?
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The parenting and pregnancy website BabyCenter analyzed about 115,000 baby names registered on its site.

Here’s the lowdown on the baby naming that’s happened in the first months of 2016:

▪ Hillary (in all its spellings) has increased 142 percent in popularity since the same time last year.

▪ Bill has risen 113 percent.

▪ Melania is up 36 percent.

▪ Chelsea rose 18 percent

Donald rose in popularity 8 percent; Ivanka is up 4 percent.

Comment

• The domestic violence case:

Thomas' dissent (III) is interesting. The statute in question includes non-felony convictions, which, Thomas argues, could include an auto accident that happens to a couple when the man was driving and texting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
            How's your wife and my kids?
            Great. You owe me $20,000 back child support asswipe.
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Business as usual at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul. Flights resumed within hours after the attack and the airport was fully open today.

Yes, it's in the news there but getting equal coverage is local and international stories of other events. In the US yesterday, regular programming was interrupted for hours as non-stop coverage dominated the airwaves. Same this morning with only mild de-emphasis.

Countries in the midst of this don't give the terrorists what they want - round the clock exposure. Although Turkey has, in the past, been relatively free from terror attacks, they've suffered five, including this one, in the last 12 months. That Turkey has contiguous borders with both Syria and Iraq, it's not surprising. They carry-on; it is part of life these days.

I found it interesting how the 3 attackers gained access to the airport which is heavily patrolled by military units all the time. I've seen it first hand. Rather comforting actually. There are literally 100s of cabs passing in and out of the airport arrival and departure areas every hour. They are all licensed and marked so, they pretty much get the nod when passing through airport entrances. That's how the 3 arrived - in a cab(s) (not sure if they were in more than one), fully armed with automatic weapons and explosives. Jumped out and started firing.

There was film today of what appeared to be a police officer taking down one of them, approaching him and then shooting him point blank while he lay on the floor. After he shoots, apparently reacting to his knowledge that he was wearing an explosive vest, he retreats and takes cover. Moments later a blast occurs emanating from the fatally injured shooter on the ground.

Despite law enforcements recognition of the threat, steps that are taken to prevent attacks like this in public places, there will always be weaknesses that can be exploited by the terrorists. Vigilance by authorities and the public, something that is stressed in Israel, especially to the public, is the last defense but a good one if people across the globe started taking this threat as seriously as they should.

When I looked it up, I found it interesting that the last Terror attack in Israel was in October of 2015 while there have been 100s of them world wide since then. Israelis live in a constant state of preparedness as they suffered some horrendous terrorist attacks, most of them perpetrated by Hamas militants, historically speaking. There should be a lesson there for the rest of us in that not a single terrorist attack has taken place on Israeli soil for over a year despite the turmoil in the ME that surrounds them.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• [QUOTE=iam416;1028604]Nice little piece detailing the borderline stunning effort to portray pro-Brexit voters as xenophobic idiots: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...verage-bregret

that a hoax petition was given a prominence within the reporting

Amidst the half-truths and unsupported assertions, that stands out. The petition that caught fire was one Farage started a few weeks ago, as a hedge. This coverage is garbage. The outside world does not exist solely so Americans can interpret it with a view to scoring points in domestic politics.

Comment

• The petition that caught fire was one Farage started a few weeks ago, as a hedge.
                  Correct. I don't the NRO is saying otherwise and I know the NRO has written about how the petition was started by Farage, not by some Leave folks. They're saying the 3M signatures are dubious, at best. But, you knew that.

The outside world does not exist solely so Americans can interpret it with a view to scoring points in domestic politics.
                  Correct.
                  Last edited by iam416; June 29, 2016, 12:15 PM.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Swim Coach from the state Michigan arrested in Omaha for soliciting prostitutes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• If that's what they wanted to say then they could have said that instead of something else. This is shitty pandering. Don't let your confirmation bias get in the way. Bottom line: ``Hey, we send them half our exports. I wonder if there's any way to cede control over that process? Oh there is? Great let's do it!" That's the regulatory angle. Any other regulation-based analysis in US media is just pandering. You should be able to see through that.

Comment

• Sorry I had to delete and restart. ``Learn to read'' = you don't have anything to say about the actual facts of the matter. The bowtie conservatives over there know how to write. They know when to be direct and when it's helpful to vaguely sneer. You got caught.

Comment

• If that's what they wanted to say then they could have said that instead of something else
                          Mr. Cooke did say it. It's not my fault you can't read and/or comprehend his points. The topic of the article is clear. The points made by the article are clear and relate directly to the topic. It takes someone willful to misread it.

you don't have anything to say about the actual facts of the matter
                          This is, of course, deliciously ironic. You've spent numerous posts labeling pro-Brexit voters as "racists" in an obvious effort to de-legitimize their views -- so you don't have to actually discuss the facts. Then you read -- misread -- one paragraph of an article accurately taking the media to task for its take on Brexit and dismiss the entire thing -- another plain effort to avoid discussing the issue.

You're a quintessential progressive. Unfortunately, you're not a quintessential little "l" liberal. Too bad.

Carry on with your RACIST!!!!! approach.
                          Last edited by iam416; June 29, 2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• That's incorrect. I know what it says, and, as I said, the NRO knows how to write clearly when it has a strong argument and vaguely when it's doing what it did here. I suggest you save that form of sneering for when you have a leg to stand on. You got dog whistled here, in exactly the way American conservatives do by the media conservative media. They know that you're not going to google ``widely respected pollster Lord Ashcroft'' to see about that more specifically. They know you're not going to check to see that at question there is 77k signatures of a total of 3m, or whether it's anyone other than dog-whistle conservative media running with a story that weakly worded (``thought to be hacked by''). And they know that a sentence like ``I won’t bother to explain here why lambasting the residents of a small island for wanting to control its borders is the most abject folly'' is something they can get away with, because the readership is being told what it wants to hear. Confirmation bias.

You're a regular reader of NRO. I suggest you take a look and try to notice when they let the facts speak for themselves and when they are reliant on unsupported assertions. You're a cynic, right?

You've spent numerous posts labeling pro-Brexit voters as "racists" in an obvious effort to de-legitimize their views -- so you don't have to actually discuss the facts.
                            -- Incorrect. You've read the thread. You can see that I've gone on about regulation, trade, and the NHS promise. So you either know what you are saying here is bullshit, or you just don't know any better. Your smug tone here is a crutch. If you want to talk about this stuff and also keep the smug tone, then maybe learn about it first.
                            Last edited by hack; June 29, 2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• I know that 77K have been so fraudulent that even Parliament had to remove them. If you think it's only 77K...well...I don't know what to say.

FYI, I just signed the petition. I'm sure I'm but a small handful of non-Brits to do so.

Comment

• Incorrect. You've read the thread.
                                I have. You gave up and resorted to the exactly what I said. It was very disappointing given your previous willingness to engage.

Anyway, own your posts or don't. I don't really care.
                                Last edited by iam416; June 29, 2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X