No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The shooter was an inmate being held in custody. He was killed in a shootout. The other two dead were bailiffs.

Comment

• How the hell did he get a gun?

Comment

• Just read he took it off a deputy after he was sentenced and on his way to jail.

Comment

• Dallas police chief says ?we?re asking cops to do too much in this country?

DALLAS ? The police chief here said Monday he feels that law enforcement officers across the country are being asked to take on too much, comments that came as his department was still investigating the mass shooting of Dallas police officers last week and protesters in other cities continued demonstrations against how officers use force.

Even as the Dallas police worked to sift through massive amounts of evidence from the shooting rampage that killed five officers ? an effort that entails watching hundreds of hours of videos and conducting scores of interviews ? David Brown, the Dallas police chief, said he believes officers in his city and nationwide are under too much strain.

?We?re asking cops to do too much in this country,? Brown said at a briefing Monday. ?We are. Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops to solve. Not enough mental health funding, let the cops handle it. Here in Dallas we got a loose dog problem; let?s have the cops chase loose dogs. Schools fail, let?s give it to the cops. That?s too much to ask. Policing was never meant to solve all those problems.?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a037583a2d16

Comment

• Geez, he's not overtly religious. The influence is there - his mother was a reverend for the Methodist Church for 60 years. She passed away 2 years ago at 101.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
              Uh hey OP I said where can you point out a situation where an ordinary citizen killed a mass killer saving some white boy's ass? More people are killed by their own gun than kill an intruder or attacker. better yet, how many times have you come to the aid of strangers blowing away some mass killer (or single killer for that matter)?
              Yep, many people have an exaggerated fear of strangers and are lousy about statistics and risk assessment. A good article about it

What do Bruce Pardo and Atif Irfan have in common? In case you’re not familiar with their names, let me rephrase: What do the white guy who dressed up as Santa and killed his ex-wife and her family (and then committed suicide) and the Muslim guy who got thrown off a recent AirTran flight on suspicion of terrorism have in . . .

As we wrote in Freakonomics, most people are pretty terrible at risk assessment. They tend to overstate the risk of dramatic and unlikely events at the expense of more common and boring (if equally devastating) events. A given person might fear a terrorist attack and mad cow disease more than anything in the world, whereas in fact she?d be better off fearing a heart attack (and therefore taking care of herself) or salmonella (and therefore washing her cutting board thoroughly).

Another

These are killer odds. You’re more likely to die in a plane crash, drown in your bathtub or perish in an earthquake during your lifetime than be murdered by a stranger in New York. Just 29 victims …

You?re more likely to die in a plane crash, drown in your bathtub or perish in an earthquake during your lifetime than be murdered by a stranger in New York.

Comment

• Another little oddity that most people probably wouldn't guess it true: guns are used for more suicides than murders every year.

In 2013 there were about 11,000 murders committed using guns; 21,000 suicides. Overall the total number of suicides is more than double the total number of murders

FastStats is an official application from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and puts access to topic-specific statistics at your fingertips.

FastStats is an official application from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and puts access to topic-specific statistics at your fingertips.

Comment

• I knew all that stuff. But I'm a fan of Freakonomics.

Comment

• Rape is almost certainly underreported, but nearly 3/4 of adult rape victims were raped by someone they knew.

93% of children who were sexually abused knew the perpetrator

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      Rape is almost certainly underreported, but nearly 3/4 of adult rape victims were raped by a Buckeye they knew.

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/per...exual-violence

FIFY.

Comment

• A Detroit detective was demoted to officer and is subject to internal investigation for a facebook post. Proper reaction or political correctness run amok?

“For the first time in my nearly 17 years as a law enforcement officer I contemplated calling into work in response to the outrageous act perpetrated against my brothers. It seems like the only response that will demonstrate our importance to society as a whole. The only racists here are the piece of (expletive) Black Lives Matter terrorists and their supporters.”

The DPD chief James Craig stated: "Police must be held to a higher standard...It’s not about white or black. When you put on this uniform, you can’t make statements that contradict what we stand for as a department.”
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The reprimanded Detective is the brother of a police officer who shot and killed a 7 year old girl sleeping on the couch during a raid staged for a TV show. Brother's two trials ended with hung juries.

Comment

• Is that relevant, Counselor? Like the sexual history of a rape victim?

Is this instance a violation of free speech or a violation of department standards that were agreed to when accepting the position in law enforcement?

Comment

• Having never twitted and been to facebook exactly one time in my life, I cannot understand the attraction of these sites. Useless drivel populated by people that want to scream to the world "I AM (somehow) RELEVENT (in my mind)!!" I surmise that PT Barnum was right - cater to the lowest common denominator and you'll never go broke.

Comment

• Cogent point from the New York Times:

"The debate is full of such untruths and misdirections. There is the colossal Texas lie, the one that says a “good guy with a gun” can always stop a bad guy with a gun (in Dallas, where some marchers and bystanders were armed, it took a bomb). "

Comment

Working...
                                X