No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I believe that Christians are sub human and should not be allowed to roam freely, should I be able to chain you up in my basement? Of course not, because my beliefs should not impact your freedoms.
    That's an awful analogy. I mean insofar as it bears no fucking relation to what is actually happening.

The better analogy is if you're a black or jewish cake shop owner should you be compelled to bake a cake for a Neo Nazi celebration of Hitler Day.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      The Obamas do not attend church regularly. They use Sunday as a "family day".
      Never mind veering off into anything involving opinions, or having to read or understand anything -- can we at least agree on the facts? Linesman alleged that Obama and family don't attend Sunday services, even just for the optics of it like the Clintons did. Anyone wondering about whether that's true or not that can very quickly Google their way to an understanding that they have done this.

Comment

• I think fining a baker because he won't make a gay cake is wrongheaded and I'm not sure refusing to make a "gay cake" is unconstitutional. At the very least, the rights of the bakery owner to operate his business in a way he feels his religion demands and the gay couple are at odds.
        The more pertinent point is that the baker is likely going to see business fall off. Setting aside the refusal to serve a segment of the population, the baker will also surely encounter significant blowback -- as evidenced.

But, yes, I'm fairly certain there's nothing in the Constitution that protects you from repercussions based on who you decide to fuck. I'm pretty sure the baker can tell known adulterers to fuck off as well as polygamists, child fuckers, dog fuckers and tractor fuckers. Sorry, Wiz.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          That's an awful analogy. I mean insofar as it bears no fucking relation to what is actually happening.

The better analogy is if you're any normal human should you be compelled to bake a cake for an Ohio State alumni function.
          Fixed for an equally obscene, but more topical, example.

Comment

• i wonder if the baker had said he would make the cake, but not to their specifications (eg, the plastic figurines on top not being same sex, etc) if he would have lost.

As long as you serve them a product consistant with your normal offerings, I think he might have won (IANAL).

That said, not catering to gays because of your Sky Dad's command is stupid. Just not sure that stupidity should be illegal.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
              Never mind veering off into anything involving opinions, or having to read or understand anything -- can we at least agree on the facts? Linesman alleged that Obama and family don't attend Sunday services, even just for the optics of it like the Clintons did. Anyone wondering about whether that's true or not that can very quickly Google their way to an understanding that they have done this.
              This takes all the fun out of ranting.

As an aside, I heard there will be a surprise Thanksgiving Offensive in the War on Christmas this year. Intel is still sketchy.

Comment

• Never mind veering off into anything involving opinions, or having to read or understand anything -- can we at least agree on the facts? Linesman alleged that Obama and family don't attend Sunday services, even just for the optics of it like the Clintons did. Anyone wondering about whether that's true or not that can very quickly Google their way to an understanding that they have done this.
                At the risk of paying you a compliment, you seem too smart to get sucked into this inanity. I'd recommend one punchy comment and extrication. Dip a toe in the water, but don't try to win the internet against pitched positions of dubious sanity.

Comment

• Begrudgingly kudos to Hoss. Fuck off.

You, sir, don't seem too smart to continue tilting at the Liney windmill, though.

Comment

• Sure, the Obamas have gone to church. They usually do on Easter and a few other occaisions. In other words, like millions of other Americans who profess to be Christian, but don't make it a regular occurrence.

Personally, I like them better because they don't. It's easier to go and keep up appearances.
                    Last edited by AlabamAlum; July 19, 2016, 01:09 PM.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The better analogy is if you're a black or jewish cake shop owner should you be compelled to bake a cake for a Neo Nazi celebration of Hitler Day.
                      There's questions raised on a couple levels

1) Does the govt have the right or power to push business owners to serve all customers equally? In other words, is there legitimacy to ANY anti-discrimination legislation or should business owners be allowed to do anything they please and if that means refusing service to blacks, then so be it?

2) Should gays be a protected class? If you think being gay is entirely a choice and not genetic in any way, you're probably more inclined to view gays as a group that should be unprotected like political groups.

3) Is operating a bakery/tuxedo shop/wedding photography inseparable from your faith/religious practice? If my faith tells me divorce or interracial marriage are evil and somebody comes in wanting wedding pics for their 2nd marriage, am I violating my faith by taking their business?

Comment

You, sir, don't seem too smart to continue tilting at the Liney windmill, though.

I am not.

I do find it preferable to tilting toward the hairy, simian womenfolk of Columbus, OH however. But that's just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          There's questions raised on a couple levels

1) Does the govt have the right or power to push business owners to serve all customers equally? In other words, is there legitimacy to ANY anti-discrimination legislation or should business owners be allowed to do anything they please and if that means refusing service to blacks, then so be it?

2) Should gays be a protected class? If you think being gay is entirely a choice and not genetic in any way, you're probably more inclined to view gays as a group that should be unprotected like political groups.

3) Is operating a bakery/tuxedo shop/wedding photography inseparable from your faith/religious practice? If my faith tells me divorce or interracial marriage are evil and somebody comes in wanting wedding pics for their 2nd marriage, am I violating my faith by taking their business?
                          1) I think the baker would have been golden if he had made them a hetero cake and refused to put two same-sex toppers on top (or whatever). In that case, he would not be denying service. The same as if I owned a cafe but refused to serve kosher food even at the request of a customer.

2) it will be. It's not now, though.

3) never look for consistency in such things. The whole "Levitican laws" thing is followed very piecemeal by the religious.

Comment

• DSL:

(1) A shop owner can't discriminate based on race (or nationality or ethnicity). A shop owner can't discriminate based on gender, for the most part. The scrutiny given gender is a little less.

(2) Well, gays aren't a protected class under the law. I think Congress should pass a law to that effect, but that's my opinion. What isn't really an opinion is that they haven't. And it's certainly not in the Constitution.

(3) I don't really get to the "free exercise" part of the equation because I don't see a protected right in the first instance. To the extent you have a protected right, then I don't particularly think baking a cake is that big of a deal on the exercise of your religion. I guess decorations and such could shift things -- but it's very much different from compelling a Catholic priest to marry gay folks.

Comment

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

You all piss me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• ::: sits down next to Entropy :::
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X