No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ren Cen closed? When was the last time you fellas been down to the riverfront? That place is teeming with people.

Comment

• Yeah, I was confused by that too. Was packed when i was there last summer.

Comment

• The information I had is a few years old. I heard that when GM bought the Ren Cen that they didn't bother to re-open the hotel.

My mistake for not being current.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Paul Ryan mixes politics and football. Speaking to a group of Texans (from CNN):

"Conventions can be pretty darn exciting sometimes," Ryan said, a day after anti-Trump delegates protested on the convention floor. "We've got really big problems in our country. And in our party we've had, let's just say, a really big family discussion." He then turned to college football, explaining how important it is when a team advances to a big postseason game, fans of other teams in its conference root for it to win. He discussed how intense the rivalries are in the Big 12, the conference of the Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M Aggies, whose supporters in the room whooped and hollered.

"Boy, those rivalries are tough, especially when the Big 12 was the Big 12 and you guys were at each other's throats," said Ryan. But he said, "When one of the teams advances to a big bowl game or a national championship, don't you root for the Aggies if you are a Longhorn?"

The crowd booed no.

"You don't? This whole riff was not worth it," a deflated Ryan said with a smile. "My entire premise has just been obliterated."
          Ryan then explained how things are different in Wisconsin, where once the hard-fought regular season is over, Badgers fans throw their support to a rival for the broader good of the conference -- inferring that Republicans who didn't vote for Trump in the primary should support him now. "I come from Big 10 country, so we fight like heck against Ohio State or Michigan, and then when it doesn't go our way or they make it to the Rose Bowl or they go to the National Championship, we root for them because we're in the same conference."

Ryan implored the delegates to take a Big 10 approach to football and politics. "Good grief. Holy Moly. This explains everything right now," he said.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• What an idiot.

Comment

• I don't pay a lot of attention to the Conventions. But it's hard not to right now with round the clock coverage of the Republican Convention.

If anyone wanted to develop a distaste for politics and the press for being either f'ing lap dogs or repeating the same story line over and over because there is NOTHING of substance to report, this is the time to do it.

Not that the Conventions have a lot of substance anyway but this one takes the all time record for being the best clown show.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Last night was the 'Hillary Clinton is the DEBIL!!!" segment of the convention. A Trump supporter was on CNN this morning complaining that few of the speakers (other than his own family) had positive things to say about Trump. Everything was about why you should vote against Hillary and her opponent is largely irrelevant.

Comment

• Jeff -The problem with this cycle is that the GOP convention is so interesting/nauseating (in a train wreck kind of way), that even the most hardcore politico will probably not be able to stomach another convention back-to-back. I'm certain that the Dem's coronation ceremony (complete with radiant sun beams and rose petals) will be equally likely to induce projectile vomiting. These two shit shows are like something out of A Clockwork Orange.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Trump's only chance is that the electorate some how detests her more than him. I'd dedicate another full day to deriding the PAH rather than let Trump or Trump-ites blather on about how great Trump is.

I expect you'll see something similar at the DNC.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• "U.S. Rep. Steve King, Iowa, stunned MSNBC viewers when he asked, during a panel, what non-whites had ever contributed to western civilization.

"I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?" King asked incredulous anchor Chris Hayes."

I see Opie is not really in the Hamptons. He's in Cleveland ghostwriting for delegates topics to discuss

Comment

• 8 reality show stars who'd be better presidents than Trump:

I don't even watch reality TV. But if this is the well we're drawing from, Donald Trump is not the best choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          Trump's only chance is that the electorate some how detests her more than him. I'd dedicate another full day to deriding the PAH rather than let Trump or Trump-ites blather on about how great Trump is.

I expect you'll see something similar at the DNC.
                          The best thing they could do for their election hopes is shut that carnival down and send everybody home. Like, this morning.

Comment

• U.S. Rep. Steve King, Iowa, stunned MSNBC viewers when he asked, during a panel, what non-whites had ever contributed to western civilization.
                            Isn't that a natural consequence of the massive identity politics at play in the US? Progressives have transitioned from casting the issue of African-American community failure from equality under the law and remedying effects of segregation to blaming "white privilege." It's a shrewd move because the latter is a catchall excuse for any minority of any sort, especially if you cast it as "white male privilege" or, lol, even better..."white hetero cis-male privilege."

So now that progressives are clearly shitting on white males, what's the natural response? The feckless will beg forgiveness and acquiesce to the ludicrous. The other end of the spectrum is to ardently defend white males. And why not point out the various contributions made by white males as a way of saying, ummm, yeah, white males ain't all bad.

Then that argument gets carried to the flip side and one asks what have non-white males pitched in so we can do a little comparison.

It's all fucking ridiculous. Just fucking ridiculous. I can't stand the identity politics that Trump is playing. I can't stand the identity politics the progressives play on -- and I fucking hate that their bullshit occasionally pushes me to think about issues in terms of my race. I consider adopting identity politics in response to identity politics absolutely awful and refuse to do it.

So, yeah, I can pretty easily see how Steve King gets there. I can also see how the Baltimore DA is charging total bullshit in the Freddie Gray case and getting assraped for it. I think I understand, at least partially, where it comes from. And it can all rot in hell.

I will continue to quote MLK -- "judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." I realize that's a conservative line these days, but it's still fucking dead balls true.
                            Last edited by iam416; July 20, 2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?"
                              Incidentally, anyone want to weigh in on this? LOL.

Comment

• I really thought my tallest hotel skyscraper talk would get more play here. That's grade A good content, folks.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X