No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Mike...was gone most of the day.

GOP takes shots at Trump over latest stupid statements

Republicans have responded to controversial comments that GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump made about the parents of a fallen war hero.

Colorado Rep. Mike Coffman, who served in combat as a Marine, condemned Trump's comments. "Having served in Iraq, I'm deeply offended when Donald Trump fails to honor the sacrifices of all our brave soldiers who were lost in that war," Coffman said

Comment

• It won't matter to his supporters. The guy launched his Republican primary campaign by trashing the military service of the party's 2008 nominee. And then won. Handily.

If undecided voters haven't been swayed by something stupid Trump has said yet, then nothing he says will. Camp HillTron 4000 better find another way into those voters' brains because pointing out that the GOP nominee is a clown sure isn't working..
      Last edited by Mike; July 31, 2016, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• He gains voters, he is being "authentic ".

Comment

• It doesn't say much about the electorate, does it Mike? That Trump is even considered as a major nominee is staggering. That the untrustworthy Hilltron 4000 has even a puncher's chance blows my mind. The sheer number of Bernie-Bots and Trumpanzees could be a thing of good if they all vowed not to vote for a Dem or Rep...up and down the ballot. All that pent up anger could be channeled into a good outcome (as in shaking up a corrupt system) but nobody wants to leave their echo chambers.

I think we're going to waste the chance of a lifetime.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
            It doesn't say much about the electorate, does it Mike? That Trump is even considered as a major nominee is staggering. That the untrustworthy Hilltron 4000 has even a puncher's chance blows my mind. The sheer number of Bernie-Bots and Trumpanzees could be a thing of good if they all vowed not to vote for a Dem or Rep...up and down the ballot. All that pent up anger could be channeled into a good outcome (as in shaking up a corrupt system) but nobody wants to leave their echo chambers.

I think we're going to waste the chance of a lifetime.
            IDK...if we want substantive change, it needs to come through Congress. Electing a Lib, Green, TP or Chris Pratt to the presidency isn't going to change much when faced with a congress comprised of 99% Ds and Rs.

We need real popular commitment to change, not gestures. But I suspect that by the time the pitchers and catchers report next year, most people will have moved on.

Comment

• Sen. Lindsey Graham joined the growing chorus of criticism Sunday for GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump?s remarks about Khizr and Ghazala Khan, the parents of a Muslim-American solider killed in Iraq.

The South Carolina Republican told the New York Times on Sunday that Trump?s comments crossed a line, after the businessman tweeted that Khizr Khan "viciously attacked" him.
              ?This is going to a place where we?ve never gone before, to push back against the families of the fallen,? Graham told the Times.

?There used to be some things that were sacred in American politics, that you don?t do, like criticizing the parents of a fallen soldier, even if they criticize you.

?If you?re going to be leader of the free world, you have to be able to accept criticism, and Mr. Trump can?t.?

Trump sparked controversy late last week when he lashed out at Khan over his speech at the Democratic National Convention, which was critical of Trump. The billionaire doubted whether Khan prepared his remarks and questioned his wife?s silence on stage.

Following the backlash, Trump in a statement late Saturday called Humayun Khan a "hero" but continued to criticize Khizr Khan.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...eve-never-gone

While I agree with Graham in this instance, I don't recall him being so vocal about the Swiftboating of John Kerry. That was pretty groundbreaking too...tearing into the record of a man who served into combat. Groundbreaking and despicable....at least when Donald Trump stands to benefit from it, instead of Lindsay Graham.

Comment

• “There used to be some things that were sacred in American politics, that you don’t do, like criticizing the parents of a fallen soldier, even if they criticize you.
                If you step into the political arena and use political speech to attack the other candidate, then you are fair game.

This latest outrage is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier, where the rules of "polite" discourse always favor the Democrats. Trump's comment about how the wife maybe wasn't allowed to say anything is a perfect example of the kind of retarded shit I wish he would stop doing, but I made a decision that the bad has to be accepted with the good a long time ago.
                Last edited by Hannibal; August 1, 2016, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Shameless.

Comment

• where the rules of "polite" discourse always favor the Democrats

It's a lot easier to perceive slights to your side than the other, but those things work both ways and it's always good to give your best shot at walking a mile in someone else's shoes. I have plenty of things to say that aren't said and I don't think they are particularly unique to me. But none of that transcends common decency. Replying to those folks in the way that he did was basic playground bullshit. We're supposed to outgrow that by adulthood. Not only because we know better but because we've gotten smarter and can come up with something reflective of thoughts deeper than ``you hurt my feewings and now I will hurt yours''.

Geezer, I owe you a fuller reply later, but I bet you could guess at most of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                      If you step into the political arena and use political speech to attack the other candidate, then you are fair game.
                      Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                      This latest outrage is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier, where the rules of "polite" discourse always favor the Democrats.

Comment

• The criticism of Trump's remarks are directly because of criticism of the mother. It sounds like Hannibal agrees with the criticism but doesn't like that it's an outrage.

The guy cannot let anything go due to having such a thin skin, the job of the President requires you let criticism slide. Part of the Fox News business plan is based on this. Hillary had to watch 4 days of hearing chants of "Lock her up", people were screaming "hang the bitch". For years if you wanted to make all kinds of derogatory remarks about her appearance or her voice, you were allowed to do with impunity. If you want to base your campaign for office on claiming falsehoods about President Obama's birthplace and relkgion, you were allowed to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                          where the rules of "polite" discourse always favor the Democrats

It's a lot easier to perceive slights to your side than the other, but those things work both ways and it's always good to give your best shot at walking a mile in someone else's shoes. I have plenty of things to say that aren't said and I don't think they are particularly unique to me. But none of that transcends common decency. Replying to those folks in the way that he did was basic playground bullshit. We're supposed to outgrow that by adulthood. Not only because we know better but because we've gotten smarter and can come up with something reflective of thoughts deeper than ``you hurt my feewings and now I will hurt yours''.
                          You aren't running for President, hack. Getting or keeping your job doesn't depend on you defending yourself from attacks and getting your point across. You can't"turn the other cheek" when you are running for President. That's what Bush I, Dole, Bush II, McCain, and Romney all did. I know how that movie ends.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            The criticism of Trump's remarks are directly because of criticism of the mother. It sounds like Hannibal agrees with the criticism but doesn't like that it's an outrage.
                            I don't agree with the criticism, but the outrage is about more than that. People are "outraged" that Trump has fired back against the family, period, after the dad got up on stage and waved the Constitution around and told Donald Trump that he should read it. Losing a son or daughter in a war doesn't suddenly make all of your ideas unassailable.

Comment

• Well Donald Trump responded that he had read the Constitution and that Khan had no right to criticize him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                You aren't running for President, hack. Getting or keeping your job doesn't depend on you defending yourself from attacks and getting your point across. You can't"turn the other cheek" when you are running for President. That's what Bush I, Dole, Bush II, McCain, and Romney all did. I know how that movie ends.
                                I think it's not too hard to transpose that same thing to other Democrats, including ones who might run for president. Linesman in the recent past brought up how the Clintons went to church on Sunday probably just for the optics of it and not because of they have a degree of faith that led them to do it on their own. That's an example. I think without a doubt many on the left have paid lip service to some absolute bullshit on the right. Again -- walk a mile in someone else's shoes, rather than amplifying all your own little complaints.

Comment

Working...
                                X