No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geezer, here is the study from the Kansas Secretary of State.
    Thanks much Mike. The WaPo wouldn't let me read the article since I had used up my "free" reads for July.

As I suspected, the 14 number was the number referred for prosecution. The total number of persons registered in multiple states was around 5,000,000. That makes more sense. 5.95% of the 84,000,000 are registered in duplicate states. Of course, this does not count persons registered in multiple precincts in a single state. I've seen the number of 7% used for this type of fraud. Of course, this does not include other types of fraud such as single registrations for dead persons, and non-citizen voting. The number I've seen most often has been 10% of votes actually cast being fraudulent. I understand the "nothing here, let's move on" rhetoric, but 10% fraud is a large number, and it flows overwhelmingly toward the Democrat party. Terry McAluife (sp) pardoning 200,000 felons the week after the VA legislature recessed. That's just another method of the party of big government violating the law in order to remain in power.
    Last edited by Da Geezer; August 1, 2016, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Kansas isn't a state that is infamous for voter fraud. It might be a bigger deal elsewhere. Louisiana, especially. When I lived there, a guy I work with was friends with the sheriff in a certain parish and wanted me to vote for the guy. I replied "but I don't live in this parish". And his response was "don't worry, we can get around that" or something to that effect.

Comment

• No no no. Trump had one of his 'peeps' read the Constitution and no one has the right to criticize him. The man has the thinnest skin in the world. In his Art of the Deal, Trump clearly states that if someone attacks you, your business, or business intent, that you immediately hit back and harder than you were hit. That's a policy for playground bullies. Its something you leave behind when you leave the playground.

Its my observation that Trump must have the last word no matter what. Its my opinion he is psychologically damaged goods that has affected his temperamental behavior and his willingness to lie.

Lets just look at the most recent example: the so-called letter from the NFL. DJT claimed that the NFL wants Trump's help in changing the debate schedule. The NFL has said there was no letter of any kind sent to Trump. When the issue was brought up last Saturday, his response was "Old news, next question."
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
          Losing a son or daughter in a war doesn't suddenly make all of your ideas unassailable.
          I agree....but that doesn't mean a presidential candidate should assail them. Which, if he'd even done that in lieu of saying nothing, would have more acceptable than the typical douchebag course he chose to take.

A short response along the lines of "I do not agree with all of Mr. Khan's opinions, but I absolutely respect the pain and sacrifice he and Mrs Khan have made for this country." All stop. But, nooooo. Not Donald J.

But, whatever. I was happy to see Donald J walk right into the trap, and further alienate himself from the military.
          Last edited by Wild Hoss; August 1, 2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Kansas isn't a state that is infamous for voter fraud. It might be a bigger deal elsewhere. Louisiana, especially. When I lived there, a guy I work with was friends with the sheriff in a certain parish and wanted me to vote for the guy. I replied "but I don't live in this parish". And his response was "don't worry, we can get around that" or something to that effect.
            Interesting you mention LA. That has the highest number by far in the "Duplicate" column.

After the 2000 election, I had the opportunity to talk to the Clerk for the county where Houston is. They used the same kind of "punch card" ballot that FL made famous. He challenged me to put one single ballot into a punch box and create a dimpled chad. It can't be done. Then, why were there so many dimpled chads? Because the way you create a dimpled chad is to have 30 or so ballots in the punch box and try to cast all 30 votes for one candidate with one punch. During the whole Bush v Gore fiasco, no one in the media even mentioned how the votes in question, dimpled chad or hanging chad, came about.

I suspect that biometrics may be used in the future to cut into the 10%. It always makes me laugh when the same folks who want all 300 million guns registered consider it impractical to properly register half that number of voters.
            Last edited by Da Geezer; August 1, 2016, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• I just ordered my first political yard sign.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The man has the thinnest skin in the world.
                So true, Jon, so true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                  A short response along the lines of "I do not agree with all of Mr. Khan's opinions, but I absolutely respect the pain and sacrifice he and Mrs Khan have made for this country." All stop. But, nooooo. Not Donald J.
                  I don't totally disagree. A conventional politician would have successfully defused this situation and kept it a one day story. The flipside is that a conventional politician would have never gotten this far talking about the issues that Donald J. has talked about. A Kasich, a Rubio, or a Bush would have caved a long time ago and Cruz would probably be losing by double digits. Thus, the tradeoff that I spoke of earlier in this thread. One that after a generation of Republican/Conservative failure, I still gladly accept.

Comment

• Hmmmm... I think we discussed this before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Another example of morality based on politics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• When they introduced that family, did they say their son was 1 of 14 Muslim-Americans killed serving in the War on Terror? I remember thinking...14? That's it? They must have really had to dig to find these guys. Wonder what the other 13 say?

But, anyway, I think it awful form to denigrate the family. But that's Trump. He's not losing any support because he said it.

To Hanni's point, it's overwhelmingly lauded when Ds point out what is almost certainly an anomalous anecdotal result. A Muslim-American dying in service of his country. It's nice to know that it happens, I suppose, but that doesn't make it any less anomalous. However, when Trump and others say point out anomalous Muslim behavior in, you know, slaughtering innocent people, that's not so well-received.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Vote Libertarian

Comment

• Jeff said:
                            I do think we view the importance of the concept of social responsibility - the ethical framework that suggests that an entity, individuals and organizations, have an obligation to act for the benefit of society at large - differently.
                            I certainly believe everyone has an ethical responsibility. In fact, I have never met a person who would say that they didn't have any ethical responsibility.

Jeff, I don't mean you personally, but I see folks using the phrase "social justice", or now, "ethical responsibility" without even contemplating what those words mean in practice. Social justice always involves using the state to redistribute wealth. Always.

I understand you would like a more nuanced discussion. I often issue a challenge to this forum to come up with an instance where what I believe is wrong in actual fact (most recently my challenge to come up with a mass shooting in a gun-allowed zone). Often, there are examples where I am wrong in what I believe, like Wahabbi control of oil as a reason to go to green energy. I find that beneficial.

When you talk about ethics you are necessarily talking about religion. Within the last month, I read an article grouping Americans by religion. "Non-religious" was the largest subset for the first time since they have been keeping data. Obviously, this doesn't mean the non-religious don't think about or have ethical beliefs.

Hypothetically, if a person believes in anthropogenic global warming, it is an ethical choice for him to promote the green agenda, to live that way and to do everything to promote his beliefs within previously agreed upon rules of conduct. But I disagree with using the power of government, the singular ability to take liberty and property from a heretic, to promote those personal ethical beliefs. To call for prosecution of climate-deniers, as the Democrats have, is not what Americans have agreed to in terms of the separation of church and state. You and I may differ on what is ethical, but I believe you have no right to use the power of government to achieve your ethical, "social justice" type goals.
                            Last edited by Da Geezer; August 1, 2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                              I don't totally disagree. A conventional politician would have successfully defused this situation and kept it a one day story. The flipside is that a conventional politician would have never gotten this far talking about the issues that Donald J. has talked about. A Kasich, a Rubio, or a Bush would have caved a long time ago and Cruz would probably be losing by double digits. Thus, the tradeoff that I spoke of earlier in this thread. One that after a generation of Republican/Conservative failure, I still gladly accept.
                              One doesn't need to be an asshole to be unconventional though.

Comment

• The more we know Trump...

Comment

Working...
                                X