Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    The Supreme Court allowing the states to do as you please is not affirmatively imposing social policy. There's no debating that. Period. It doesn't mean they're right in doing so, but they are not creating an affirmative right.

The fact that some of us now look to the SCt to legislate is more a comment on the how the Court has changed over the past century or so. Whether that's good or bad is, again, an open question. But that the Court has changed is not.
    The question wasn't one of creating rights. It was about whether the government should interfere in people's lives. Roe v Wade says it cannot. Yet repubs would love to overturn it to allow gov't to interfere.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• New poll out by Gallup today shows bad number for Trump/GOP

Americans' reaction to the Democratic Party's convention was not overly positive, but it was significantly better than their impression of the Republican Party's convention.

"After the Conventions, do you have a more positive or more negative view of the D/R Party?"

Democrats: 44% More Favorable, 42% Less Favorable

Republicans: 35% More Favorable, 52% Less Favorable

Comment

• The question wasn't one of creating rights.
        Yeah, there's no way any lawyer can type that with a straight face.

Anyway, the Supreme CT affirmatively prohibited the states from passing legislation. That's affirmative. Had they upheld nearly 2 centuries of precedent, the States would have continued to be able to pass whatever laws they saw fit in that area - prohibiting or allowing abortion as they saw fit. I suppose you're also of the mind that the SCT didn't create affirmative law by deciding that gay marriage should be a ConstitutionAL right after 225 years of it being not.

I mean, this really isn't up for debate.
        Last edited by iam416; August 1, 2016, 05:35 PM.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Trump is going to get whipped, DSL. The Ds ran a far better convention, one that was damn near Reagan-esque in its City on the Hill theme.

Comment

• After Dem Convention:

Reuters: Clinton +5 (Poll came out Friday)
            PPP: Clinton +5 (Poll came out Sunday)
            CBS: Clinton +6
            CNN: Clinton +9

The last Rasmussen poll came out last week and didn't include any post-convention polling, but showed Clinton +1

Comment

• Seems about right. I've been thinking 52-45 and roughly 320-215

Comment

• Take this for what it's worth...Kirsten Powers (one of the token Dems on Fox) interviewed Trump and actually talked about Roger Ailes.

Comment

• Everything is rigged.

Comment

• “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• LOL -- I didn't think of it, but now that I've seen it, why'd this take so long?

Comment

• Haha. That's pretty good.

Comment

• So Putin and Trump go out for dinner...

Waiter: and what will you be having?

Putin: Steak and mashed potatoes.

Waiter: and for the vegetable?

Putin: He'll have the steak too.

(Repurposed from the Medvedev era)

Comment

• Geezer:

Man is evil. Power corrupts. I'd be happy to argue either of those sentences with any progressives present. I've met only a handful of statists in my lifetime who actually believe those statements to be untrue.

Clearly all of them here, b/c nobody ever argues it with you.

why give more power to an elite few?

It is more diffused when spread between the public and private sectors, instead of what we have now in which too much is in the private sphere.

I assuredly do not think capitalism "works perfectly". What recommends capitalism as an economic system can be summarized in two sentences: " Man is evil. Power corrupts".

Why?

And, just for good measure (and to send my friend Hack into a snit), Christianity is the only religious system based on the idea that man is evil. Only one.

Well I'm sure you may wish to play semantics, but the basic idea that man is with sin/fallible/must cast off earthly whathaveyous is also pretty core to Buddhism, in which one is trapped in the cycle of birth and reincarnation until reaching that stage of enlightenment and getting to go to Nirvana. Same dish, different spices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                Ladies and gentlemen, the next president of the United States...
                                Yeeeeah. Not exactly invoking images of W, atop a pile of rubble with his arm around a FDNY Chief.

Comment

Working...
                                X