No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's look into the extra cost of sending someone to shoot video.

Comment

• Agreed, Froot -- a combination of disappointment and egging him on.

SLF, I don't have a hard answer for you there.

Comment

• We need Mka Brezynski to say the media finally got Trump to admit he was hugely wrong on Birtherism. That will set him off.

Comment

• I notice that the Vanderbilt pronoun roster is presented by the LGBTQI.

What does the "I" stand for?

And what about zer and zis. What is the deal with the "z"?

Finally, will "toxic whiteness" be considered a disability so I can get on the dole like the rest of the Gimmedats?

Comment

• Z don't know. Zorry.

Comment

• Nothing said yet about the latest police killing an unarmed black guy for no particular reason?

Helicopter video footage released Monday showed Tulsa police shooting Terence Crutcher to death on Friday night after he approached his SUV with his arms raised.

Comment

• That one is pretty awful.

Nothing said about Harvard study finding AAs aren't shot more than anyone else by police? (though they are subjected to rougher treatment)?

I mean, a macro issue deserves a macro analysis. Anecdotal stuff moves the narrative and all, so I get why BLM and maybe you (?) -- folks mostly unconcerned with the truth - HANDS UP!!!! -- want to push those. But, meh...
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• If one is alleging institutional racism at police departments, the data confirm it in every scenario save for the one with the smallest sample size. In the highest-quality version of our public discourse the disseminators of the study's results could have soberly pointed to that, and its easy pickings for BLM people to use that in support of the video clips that are so powerful in galvanizing public opinion. But civil society is what it is. If we want better public discourse we'll have to pay for better media.

Comment

• Well, the problem with activists is that they sell the "OH MY GOD" worst case scenario because, well, that's what draws interest. AA's being ticketed more frequently by Ferguson PD? Boring. AA's more likely to subjected to use of force? Meh.

Hands up don't shoot!!! YES!

So, when the activists use grossly inflammatory language -- cops are hunting black folks, etc and point to police shootings of as the sine non qua of the movement, well, it can't possibly come as a surprise when folks address that very argument and shove it up their ass.

Comment

• Deleted what I posted. Clearly we'll never agree on this issue. From my perspective I don't understand how you can acknowledge that the study found black people are "roughed up" more often and yet still seem to react, every time, as if black people are wildly off base in thinking they are subject to harsher treatment. Frankly with the contempt with which you regard BLM, you often sounds more outraged by them than by innocent people getting killed by cops. I don't think you intend to come off that way, but that's often my impression. JMO which ain't worth much.

Fortunately OP will be along shortly to post some old facebook pics of him in baggy shorts that he dug up on an alt-right white supremacist website and the victim will be declared a "thug".

Comment

• I don't see how it shoves anyone's argument back at them. The study confirms the BLM claim of systemic and institutional racism. To me the data are most useful not to shove in anyone's face, but because of the question of why shootings don't conform. Maybe it's just the small sample size compared with the thousands of interactions across scenarios that support the racism claim. Maybe something about how things fundamentally change in any scenario when guns are drawn.

Comment

• Maybe it's just the small sample size compared with the thousands of interactions across scenarios that support the racism claim. Maybe something about how things fundamentally change in any scenario when guns are drawn.
                          I find it very hard to believe that a published policy study by Harvard wouldn't account for sample size and other issues by, e.g., reflecting it in the margin of error, or otherwise in its conclusions.

Maybe it's just right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                            Deleted what I posted. Clearly we'll never agree on this issue. From my perspective I don't understand how you can acknowledge that the study found black people are "roughed up" more often and yet still seem to react, every time, as if black people are wildly off base in thinking they are subject to harsher treatment. Frankly with the contempt with which you regard BLM, you often sounds more outraged by them than by innocent people getting killed by cops. I don't think you intend to come off that way, but that's often my impression. JMO which ain't worth much.

Fortunately OP will be along shortly to post some old facebook pics of him in baggy shorts that he dug up on an alt-right white supremacist website and the victim will be declared a "thug".
                            Your opinion IS worth much.

This is a very good post expressing a view on a highly controversial and emotional subject without making it personal. Thanks for thinking it through which is one of the reasons, posters thinking about how a post will be interpreted before posting, this thread is as informative and interesting to read as any thread in this forum.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Deleted what I posted. Clearly we'll never agree on this issue. From my perspective I don't understand how you can acknowledge that the study found black people are "roughed up" more often and yet still seem to react, every time, as if black people are wildly off base in thinking they are subject to harsher treatment. Frankly with the contempt with which you regard BLM, you often sounds more outraged by them than by innocent people getting killed by cops. I don't think you intend to come off that way, but that's often my impression. JMO which ain't worth much.
                              Do you want to know what I infer when I read your one off post? -- Cops kill black folks way more than other folks. And that's just not true. But that's the path the activist side has chosen to take.

I want an honest discussion, DSL. I want to talk about Tamar Rice and Garner and the poor guy in Tulsa and, more importantly, how and where the PD can perform better. I do not want to hear about Gray or Ferguson or the guy in Milwaukee or the kid in Columbus the other day. Equating them all, IMO, is dishonest and spoils the message for me.

The larger conversation about policing, violence and poverty has to be uncomfortable BOTH ways. It has to involve acknowledgement of police failures and it has to involve community accountability. It has to involve an examination of "broken windows" policing vs "ACLU" policing (Chicago this year) and everything in between. I'm all for that discussion. I'm all for police accountability.

I reject BLM because I find them remarkably dishonest. I reject BLM because they are not interested in a real discussion. I reject BLM based on some of their ridiculous demands/principles.

However, rejecting BLM doesn't mean I reject honest discussion and prudent policy decisions to remediate a proven problem.

We will never agree, and that's fine. I don't think of you as a BLM activist, though it's clear your sympathetic to the movement. And that's no problem. Fundamental disagreement isn't a bad thing.

Comment

• I really like this post ^^^.

Think about McLuhan: "The medium is the message."

I think BLM's choice of medium and their message is absolutely calculated to achieve the appropriate results. These are not bumbling activists.

Few are capable of sorting out what you just sorted out. BLM knows this. Therefore, to increase support for their message, bring about change, this is their calculated and chosen message as outrageous and anger producing as it frequently appears.

You have to reject this BLM shit for what it is and for the reasons you describe, many do but are called unsupportive and racist for doing so.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X