Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    t's also possible that a lot of Trump's hardcore supporters will vote for him and not even vote in the down ballot races if they perceive he's not getting the support he 'deserves'.
    This is what I'm thinking, and its got to be a huge concern for downticket Rs with what's been coming out of his campaign recently.

Comment

• It'll be interesting.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I also gotta say, it must steam the Rs to no fucking end that Hillary CLINTON is firing machine gun rounds into the R nominee's corpse for inappropriate groping and such. Heh. I do enjoy that.

Comment

• Rasmussen daily poll:

Rasmussen Reports’ final White House Watch survey shows Democrat Hillary Clinton with a two-point lead over Republican Donald Trump with less than 24 hours to go until Election Day. Among early voters, Clinton has a double-digit lead.

I thought the trend was interesting.

Comment

• Those results are difficult to believe...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Correct. Source matters. Though I a hard time believing even Rasmussen could get to Trump +2.

Comment

• Watching Donald Trump just now it hit me what is happening. My mind carried me back to 1933 in Germany. People who are desperate will turn to a demagogue for relief. It doesn't matter what Trump says and the disenfranchised don't care about all his flaws. He offers them relief for their yearnings and whether his "solutions" are realistic or not is beside the point. Then add in the appeal to fundamental prejudices (racism last time around and now misogyny) and you have the perfect storm.

And I should add that Hillary is the representative of the past which means more of the same from our leaders. I too detest Hillary but she is at least competent for her own agenda. And of course she is fundamentally dishonest. It explains the success of Bernie who at least was not a serial liar and cheater.

Things don't look good for this country without a fundamental change in direction. People sense this.

Comment

• Well, lets just insult athletes with head injuries now. Don't want to leave anyone out!

Donald Trump: NFL's concussion rules are soft, our supporters 'are tough'

At a campaign event in Lakeland, Fla., on Wednesday, the Republican presidential nominee witnessed a woman fainting in the audience. Trump asked for a doctor, and then assured the crowd that the woman would return to the rally.

After treatment, the woman did return, which prompted this from Trump, via the Washington Post: "That woman was out cold, and now she's coming back. See, we don't go by these new, and very much softer, NFL rules. Concussions -- 'Uh oh, got a little ding on the head? No, no, you can't play for the rest of the season' -- our people are tough."

Comment

• Comment

• People who are desperate will turn to a demagogue for relief.
                      FYI, demagoguery crosses party lines. Just to be clear. And I think it's very easy to point to D demagoguery on race. And I'm as certain as I can be of anything yet to come that D demagoguery on race will end no time soon.

I'm far less sure that the next R presidential candidate will be so permissive of the alt-right. There's a majority of Rs, IMO, that reject that demagoguery.

However, lest you have any doubts -- Hillary Rodham Clinton is now adamantly opposed to TPP -- the gold standard -- because (a) Bernie Sanders clobbered her with it; and (b) Trump would have clobbered her with it. Protectionism is exactly the sort of 'blame other people' bullshit that Trump built is popularity on -- it's one of his two pillars w/ immigration being the other.

Comment

• It's very common to say that the other party does it too. As if there's no difference in scale or centrality to actual policy matters. Similar to Trump being a predator and Hillary being married to one -- those two are not the same thing.

Trade is an excellent example. Trump: ``brown people are taking your jobs''. Bernie: ``corporations have left the US and therefore we have less jobs''. Of course there's a difference. Just IMO, but focusing on policy solutions that can mitigate the impact shows a big difference too. ``Build a wall'' vs. combatting tax havens. One of those is ridiculous and the other is going to be very difficult but is something already underway and so you might as well join the discussion to make the policy reforms better and apply some social pressure so they aren't just window dressing.

Comment

• As to TPP, the example I provided:

Bernie:

The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a disastrous trade agreement designed to protect the interests of the largest multi-national corporations at the expense of workers, consumers, the environment and the foundations of American democracy.

The TPP follows in the footsteps of other unfettered free trade agreements like NAFTA, CAFTA and the Permanent Normalized Trade Agreement with China (PNTR). These treaties have forced American workers to compete against desperate and low-wage labor around the world. The result has been massive job losses in the United States and the shutting down of tens of thousands of factories. These corporately backed trade agreements have significantly contributed to the race to the bottom, the collapse of the American middle class and increased wealth and income inequality. The TPP is more of the same, but even worse.
                          Trump

The Trans-Pacific Partnership is another disaster done and pushed by special interests who want to rape our country, just a continuing rape of our country. This is done by wealthy people that want to take advantage of us and that want to assign another partnership.
                          That strikes me as similar positions. But, I understand it may not strike others as such. I'd imagine their solution to the TPP would be the same, but that's just me speculating. I haven't looked up whether Sanders wanted to repeal TPP.

Comment

• The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a disastrous trade agreement designed to protect the interests of the largest multi-national corporations at the expense of workers, consumers, the environment and the foundations of American democracy.

The TPP follows in the footsteps of other unfettered free trade agreements like NAFTA, CAFTA and the Permanent Normalized Trade Agreement with China (PNTR). These treaties have forced American workers to compete against desperate and low-wage labor around the world. The result has been massive job losses in the United States and the shutting down of tens of thousands of factories. These corporately backed trade agreements have significantly contributed to the race to the bottom, the collapse of the American middle class and increased wealth and income inequality. The TPP is more of the same, but even worse.

I don't see the demagoguery. In truth at times I wished Bernie would have railed a little more emotionally against the fat cats, but he's a pretty policy-grounded person and not an orator. All that in italics is highly wonkish compared to ``they're coming for our jobs'', ``build the wall'' and ``I'll negotiate the best trade deals becuase I'm a negotiator''. Apples and oranges here.

Comment

• Hack.. I do get that being a predator is different than someone who stands by in "support" of their predator spouse. But I don't believe that means it should be ignored either. I had the impression people were saying it doesn't matter... It does matter. And it should matter.
                              Last edited by entropy; October 13, 2016, 06:39 PM.
                              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I think it does, but one hears this so much as an attempt to equate the two. That's misleading, as, I think are many examples of ``oh the Dems to do it too''. Even if CGVT handn't so quickly dispatched the ``pussy and ribs'' thing, what mindset do you have to adopt to think that saying the word pussy is comparable to grabbing them? I don't get that. If you're just looking for a way to slag the other side, better to use the actual material given rather than transparently awful attempts at drawing parallels.
                                Last edited by hack; October 13, 2016, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X