No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have seen it legitimately reported too that Ben Carson is the current front-runner to be Sec. of Education. Possibly HHS.
    He'd be good. He saw close up what the government education system is like in an urban area. Personally, I hope he lets kids in the DC system have choice.

There are just so many things that are possible now. Never in my lifetime have I seen the Rs have control of the House, Senate, and Executive at the same time. Not as good as Obama had it in 2008, but way better than any time since 1928.

Comment

• Like I said yesterday, Trump has received the smallest share of the popular vote by a winning candidate in a two-way race since Grover Cleveland in 1888.

His % is actually lower than that of Rutherford B Hayes in the infamous 1876 race. Not that I think the R's won't treat this as a resounding mandate.

Comment

• The 1824 race was interesting:

In 1824, John Quincy Adams was elected president despite not winning either the popular vote or the electoral vote. Andrew Jackson was the winner in both categories. Jackson received 38,000 more popular votes than Adams, and beat him in the electoral vote 99 to 84. Despite his victories, Jackson didn?t reach the majority 131 votes needed in the Electoral College to be declared president. In fact, neither candidate did. The decision went to the House of Representatives, which voted Adams into the White House.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

There are just so many things that are possible now. Never in my lifetime have I seen the Rs have control of the House, Senate, and Executive at the same time. Not as good as Obama had it in 2008, but way better than any time since 1928.
          Your memory is failing you old man or you are full of shit. Or both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
            He'd be good. He saw close up what the government education system is like in an urban area. Personally, I hope he lets kids in the DC system have choice.

The Republicans had control over both houses of Congress from 2003-2007. I'm not sure why people don't remember this. Remember Bill Frist? He existed, once upon a time.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              I'm not sure about if he is a racist or sexist. He's looks and talks like Yosemite Sam and he's a avowed neo-con. Trump ran on America first and allegedly getting out of foreign entanglements. John Bolton is not the man for that.
              Bolton is a trade-negotiations attack dog, and, IIRC, was big on unilateral action. Seems like that fits the bill. I don't know about the getting-out-of-foreign-entanglements bit. He moved from that to ``I'll ask the generals for an ISIS plan''. I think that's more of an unknown.

Comment

• TOTAL VOTES WON

Obama (2008 ) 69.5M
                Obama (2012) 65.5M
                Bush (2004) 62.0M
                Romney (2012) 60.9M
                Clinton (2016) ~60.2M
                McCain (2008 ) 59.9M
                Trump (2016) ~59.8M
                Kerry (2004) 59.0M

MANDATE!! Never has America spoken with more clarity that we must lurch in one direction!

Comment

• Ohio
                  Obama (2008 ) 2,940,044
                  Obama (2012) 2,827,709
                  Trump (2016) 2,776,683
                  McCain (2008 ) 2,677,820
                  Romney (2012) 2,661,437
                  Clinton (2016) 2,320,596

Pennsylvania
                  Obama (2008 )3,276,363
                  Obama (2012) 2,990,274
                  Trump (2016) 2,890,633
                  Clinton (2016) 2,817,409
                  Romney (2012) 2,680,434
                  McCain (2008 )2,655,885

Michigan
                  Obama (2008 ) 2,872,579
                  Obama (2012) 2,564,569
                  Trump (2016) 2,277,914
                  Clinton (2016) 2,264,807
                  Romney (2012) 2,115,256
                  McCain (2008 ) 2,048,639

Wisconsin
                  Obama (2008 ) 1,677,211
                  Obama (2012) 1,620,985
                  Trump (2016) 1,411,432
                  Romney (2012) 1,407,966
                  Clinton (2016) 1,383,926
                  McCain (2008 ) 1,262,393

Minnesota
                  Obama (2008 ) 1,573,354
                  Obama (2012) 1,546,167
                  Clinton (2016) 1,364,067
                  Trump (2016) 1,321,120
                  Romney (2012) 1,320,225
                  McCain (2008 ) 1,275,409

Interesting that Trump seems to have overperformed McCain/Romney in the Midwest but apparently ran behind them in the deep red states.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                    Bolton is a trade-negotiations attack dog, and, IIRC, was big on unilateral action. Seems like that fits the bill. I don't know about the getting-out-of-foreign-entanglements bit. He moved from that to ``I'll ask the generals for an ISIS plan''. I think that's more of an unknown.
                    Pax Americana across the Middle East again

Comment

• States where Trump Overperformed Romney

Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Okalhoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

States Where Trump Underperformed Romney

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington

Never mind, not much of a pattern, other than heavily Hispanic states.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        The Republicans had control over both houses of Congress from 2003-2007. I'm not sure why people don't remember this. Remember Bill Frist? He existed, once upon a time.
                        I know right. I truly think people get collective amnesia about that era, how on God's green earth can you forget something like that?

The Speaker of the house was a Geezer favorite, Dennis Hastert. I think he's unavailable for a cabinet position. Hastert was a real Salt of the earth type of guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          Pax Americana across the Middle East again
                          default setting

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            The concept of the EC is to prevent a majority from over running the minority... and for all areas of the country to matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Then its failing on both counts.

Comment

• Primaries use a delegate system, not popular vote. Similar to the electoral college.
                              Clinton lost the 2008 primary despite winning the popular vote by 300k.

People aren't upset President Obama won the 2008 primary even though he lost the primary popular vote.
                              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Parties can choose their candidate any way the want. Primaries are not the general election
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X