No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ``Kill blacks'' found on a bathroom wall at my kid's school today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      I hope he breaks most of them. Except for returning us to the Greatness we so desperately need. Preferably in gilded gold and faux marble.
      Indeed. Seeing the "Alternate Hill Valley" from Back to the Future II come to fruition only seems natural after the Cubbies' world title. I'm 100% in....lets ride this straight to the bottom.

Comment

• Trump is close to naming as Sec of State one of the primary advocates for the Iraq War...and a guy who's openly called for Iran to bombed

Because this was a change election!!!

Comment

• Wow...Trump's wants his kids to have the highest level of security clearance.

So they're going to be both running his business empire while also having access to all of the country's top secrets?

His children would need to fill out a security questionnaire and go through background checks, and could be designated as outside national security advisers

Comment

• Talent- You may like this

Pundits and political analysts point to the white working class (WWC) as the voting bloc that tipped the 2016 Presidential Election in Donald Trump’s favor. Did Trump know something about this group that progressives and members of the Republican establishment were not privy to? No, says Joan C. Williams, but he was able to appeal to their values such as straight talk, masculinity, and economic independence, in a way that experienced politicians didn’t consider. Class politics drove the 2016 election, and it was cluelessness about the needs of the WWC that drove Trump’s victory. If Democrats want to connect with this group, they need to consider how economics, geography, and the WWC’s relationship with the classes adjacent to them—the poor and white collar workers—influence their values. Not doing so poses additional risk in an already unpredictable political climate.

Comment

• Thank you, DSL. That was a thoughtful, fair piece that makes several points that are my core beliefs. Glad I read it.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I read that HBR piece. Solid piece, and one of the few that points out that Vance's book is not actually in praise of the culture but in fact the opposite.

IMO this is another very good version of this notion: https://www.propublica.org/article/r...orgotten-class. The quote from the woman who says ``they keep us too busy to know what's going on'' is killer. That makes her part of a very large crowd of people including some of the most famous political thinkers in history who can diagnose the problem just fine but struggle to know the solution. The latter is a lot harder, but the point is that people aren't stupid.

IMO, however, the bottom line is that there is an avalanche of these pieces basically say ``this is the fault of everyone other than the people who voted for him''. That's a classic case of the soft bigotry of low expectations. Blaming others because Trump voters had a tantrum is just another way of calling Trump voters stupid. They are grownups too and responsible for their actions.
                Last edited by hack; November 14, 2016, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• It's a good piece. It's not necessarily that folks don't want to be accountable, they don't want their genuine feelings trivialized as, eg, racist. Everyone wants their sincere feelings taken seriously, whether you're angry rural or BLM.

That said, at the end of the day we're all accountable and, to paraphrase/quote Cormac, the accounting is scrupulous.
                  Last edited by iam416; November 14, 2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFxu7NEoKC8&index=13&list=WL"]Proof of evolution that you can find on your body - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                      ``Kill blacks'' found on a bathroom wall at my kid's school today.
                      Awesome! Just gittin all the pc outta there!

Comment

• "Assassinate Trump" found on a building in my town yesterday.
                        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                          "Assassinate Trump" found on a building in my town yesterday.
                          And all over Twitter and Facebook as well.

Comment

• Don't forget the "Rape Melania" signs.

Comment

• Graffiti is always a tough one to assess. It's probably valid, but there's more than a small chance it's staged. I mean, there's an entire database "hoax" hate crimes. There tends to be more currency in making the other side look like shit, so that's always in the back of my mind. As is -- some people are just asshats. Not that those lead to mutually exclusive conclusions.
                              Last edited by iam416; November 15, 2016, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                Graffiti is always a tough one to assess. It's probably valid, but there's more than a small chance it's staged. I mean, there's an entire database "hoax" hate crimes. There tends to be more currency in making the other side look like shit, so that's always in the back of my mind. As is -- some people are just asshats. Not that those lead to mutually exclusive conclusions.
                                You are correct, sir. Which was really my point with the "Assassinate Trump" comment. But there are a lot of stupid people on social media who actually put their name and picture next to their incendiary comments. I am always baffled by that.

Comment

Working...
                                X