No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social security is fundamentally a Ponzi scheme, though it doesn't promise or deliver much of an RoI.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• It's easy to say "educate" the unemployed/under-employed. I think that's harder to do and do it right than it appears. I also think we've had this issue briefly come up before. There's a disconnect between what our secondary schools and universities are delivering out the door and what an emerging US economy needs.

All of it is harder than it looks. Easy enough to say let's bring back unions, but we don't know if that's precisely what's needed. We know that the overall environment favors employers and doesn't give enough workers in the system a shot at sustainable household finance. Whatever your ethics tell you about how to split the pie, if it's unsustainable then it's going to end with problems either way. So I don't know if it's as simple as saying bring back unions, but it's clear what constituency is getting a raw deal and for whom policy reform needs to work.

Re education, bottom line is that when you commercialize that activity to the extent that it has been here, then some people are sold shit they cannot afford and do not need. Others will find education unaffordable. My wife's degree nearly ruined us.

Meantime, in 2014 Yale spent more the double on its asset managers then on tuition breaks for students deserving or in need. $480m vs $170m. It appears that these are spectacular investors working for Yale, but you know you've lost sight of the real goal when...

Comment

• A ponzi scheme is fradulent. Social security is the law of the land, and what's done with the investment is transparent and knowable, which is another fundamental difference. End of story.

Comment

• Trump announces that Giuliani will play no role in his administration. So no job for Rudy, no job for Newt, no job for Christie, Kellyanne Conway with no real position as of yet...

Instead it'll be big donors, Wall Street, and anti-Muslim zealots that'll form the bulk of his staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
            A ponzi scheme is fradulent. Social security is the law of the land, and what's done with the investment is transparent and knowable, which is another fundamental difference. End of story.
            100 percent correct

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Trump announces that Giuliani will play no role in his administration. So no job for Rudy, no job for Newt, no job for Christie, Kellyanne Conway with no real position as of yet...

Instead it'll be big donors, Wall Street, and anti-Muslim zealots that'll form the bulk of his staff.
              So far Donald Trump drain the swamp campaign has been a yuuge Trojan Horse.

Comment

• I saw somewhere:
                Imagine if Hiliary was elected with Russian help, gave donors cabinet posts, kept the Clinton Foundation and went on a victory tour.

Unreal.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                  I saw somewhere:
                  Imagine if Hiliary was elected with Russian help, gave donors cabinet posts, kept the Clinton Foundation and went on a victory tour.

Unreal.

Then R's would be upset and D's would be defending it. Not really tough to imagine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Then R's would be upset and D's would be defending it. Not really tough to imagine
                    Absolutely correct, Entropy.

Comment

• The thing is Clinton didn't have Russian help:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.2226e1c90f7b

If you are defending the Russian hacking, you are in fact ridiculous.

Comment

• Instead it'll be big donors, Wall Street, and anti-Muslim zealots that'll form the bulk of his staff.
                        I'm not so sure about the Wall Street folks, but if you're calling folks "anti-Muslim zealots" in the right direction. And Scott Pruitt is an inspired choice.

We're down to a mere weeks until Trump can start undoing Obama's executive orders and administrative bullshit. Hopefully beginning at the DOJ, but HUD and/or EPA aren't bad places to start either.

Comment

• I'm thinking primarily of Flynn and his single-minded focus on pushing for a 'war on Islam'.

In the spirit of the new Administration, Talent, isn't it time you came out of the closet as a Mitch McConnell style Republican?

Comment

• Oh, from your post I thought there lots. Well, we definitely have an administration that accepts the notion of radical islamic terrorism. We'll see where that gets us.

McConnell is from Kentucky. I can't embrace anything from that state. I'll gladly come out as a Bill Clinton Democrat, though. But these days that's probably a distinction w/o a difference.

Comment

• Also, DSL, I think I'll end up somewhat torn if it's DeWine vs Ryan in 2018. I don't think Ryan is polished enough, though, to win absent a full-on anti-Trump voter rebellion.

I'm doing my best to get the former to think about growth-based infrastructure spends! But, alas, I'm an idiot not to be listened to. The message destroyed by a doltish messenger.

Comment

• Yep, we'll now say those magic words: radical Islamic Terrorism.

ISL quails. Iran titters. Bid Laden rolls over in his watery grave. They all know we've got the winning strategy now.

Comment

Working...
                                X