No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeezus christ. Some people need to, how does hack put it, age out already.

Comment

• At least he was voted out. He can devote more time to proving once and for all President Obama's country of origin and true religion.

Comment

• Trumpland Logic

1) The CIA doesn't have a clue about the hacking. These are the same people that lied about WMD's in Iraq, right??

2) John Bolton would make a fine Sec of State. This guy gets it

Comment

• DSL:
          It's western in the sense that it's monotheistic and it's built upon the two older religions. It has far more in common with Christianity than say, Buddhism.
          Islam is not "western" in any meaningful way. The West was pagan (polytheistic) before Christianity came on the scene. (except for the Jewish diaspora, always a special case). One of the most consequential humans in history, Sergius Paulis, was basically the SoS of the Roman Empire and converted to Christianity (which is why Saul changed his name to Paul, BTW). Paulis introduced Christianity to the West.

Islam has not deviated from 1,200 years of the same missionary strategy. Kill the infidel. Islamic invasions of the West were stopped in the Balkans and in southern France.

Comment

• Western is a commonly-used term for those three religions. You could say Abrahamic instead if you want. It's called Western for roughly the same reasons Michigan's fight song contains the words ``champions of the west". It's not called western because of any sort of value judgement on its feelings toward what is today, geographically, the Western World.

Comment

• Two interesting articles Talent. Thanks.

The progs will always wrestle with the basic question: "What if they (voters) make the wrong choice?" Their answer will always be the same: to force deferral to an "intellectual elite"

Comment

• Western is a commonly-used term for those three religions.
                No, it is not. That may be common usage for Kos, HuffPo, or NPR, but never by anyone who has studied comparative religions. Abrahamic is accurate, though. Christianity had its origin in the Jewish faith because Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi with schmeha (I don't know the proper spelling). That is a special type of Rabbi who is allowed to teach original doctrine.

As I've said, Christianity teaches that man is fallen and cannot, by his own actions, reach salvation. No other major religion teaches grace as paramount.

Comment

• OMG, I guess I'd rather hear you prattle on about teacher salaries.

Comment

• This is like quibbling over Europe being called part of 'the western world' because it's technically in the Eastern hemisphere. The 'western world' has traditionally been a reference to all Europe and the former Roman Empire, which includes North Africa and much of the Middle East.

As far as I know they're the only major religions on earth to be monotheistic and all originated from the same rough area. Christianity accepts certain portions of Judaism...and Islam accepts certain portions of the other two. The three religions are related and intertwined in a way that they are NOT with Hinduism, Shinto, Buddhism, Daoism, Paganism, etc. etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                      No, it is not. That may be common usage for Kos, HuffPo, or NPR, but never by anyone who has studied comparative religions. Abrahamic is accurate, though. Christianity had its origin in the Jewish faith because Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi with schmeha (I don't know the proper spelling). That is a special type of Rabbi who is allowed to teach original doctrine.

As I've said, Christianity teaches that man is fallen and cannot, by his own actions, reach salvation. No other major religion teaches grace as paramount.
                      This is sort of thing is no different than the many Muslims who have been taught that the literal translation of the word Islam is ``peace'', whereas it is, in fact, ``submission''. One of the remarkable things about religions is that if you want to learn facts about them you have to go to an atheist.

Google Scholar is probably the largest available repository of comparative religious study. I know what you're gonna find and what's included if you search for ``Western religion'' there.

My own personal take is that coming up with a new belief system is incredibly lucrative, if you can manage it, which explains why we have three different religions with iterative versions of the same values, same creation story, same prophets and same parables. We don't need three different Abrahamic versions, and we sure don't need a ton of branches of them either. Most though not all of those offshooots were begun and carry on because there's a profit in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        OMG, I guess I'd rather hear you prattle on about teacher salaries.
                        lololololol

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          This is like quibbling over Europe being called part of 'the western world' because it's technically in the Eastern hemisphere. The 'western world' has traditionally been a reference to all Europe and the former Roman Empire, which includes North Africa and much of the Middle East.

As far as I know they're the only major religions on earth to be monotheistic and all originated from the same rough area. Christianity accepts certain portions of Judaism...and Islam accepts certain portions of the other two. The three religions are related and intertwined in a way that they are NOT with Hinduism, Shinto, Buddhism, Daoism, Paganism, etc. etc.
                          It's funny the guy who loves to claim people are ignorant sometimes might be a little confused on the facts. If you went to noted liberal bastion Hillsdale College and took Introduction to Western Religion you would be studying comparative religion between Judaism, Islam and Christianity.

Comment

• You know, I tool Western Civilization in college and was expecting Jesse James, Doc Holiday, and Wyatt Earp stuff. Those bastards kept talking about some guy named Sock Ratease. Pissed me off. False advertising iyam. Amirite?
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I went to a Canadian school and took American History becuase I wanted a better grasp of the basics. I got mostly the ``women's perspective'' alternative, and dropped the course.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                It's funny the guy who loves to claim people are ignorant sometimes might be a little confused on the facts. If you went to noted liberal bastion Hillsdale College and took Introduction to Western Religion you would be studying comparative religion between Judaism, Islam and Christianity.
                                NEED CHARTER COLLEGES!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X