Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

In the end, however, it all worked out for heroic OSU. I think, long-term, it will all work out for the Ds.
    That remains to be seen. The realization that for six years the party has been Barack Obama awash in a red sea appears to be registering on a large scale, so that's a start. But there's a long, long ways to go.

I think you and I both agree that has to begin with Ds winning back some swaths of the white vote. How...IDK.

Comment

• I guess that all depends on how you define serious, but people can certainly decide for themselves who is willing to engage honestly in discussion. Just have to read the thread.

Here's another shining example of what passes for argument from the right: apparently since the DOE won't help Trump in his climate-change witch hunt, Trump should not attend CIA briefings. I'm skeptical Obama will have major success in doing things now to limit legislative and regulatory options in the future, but it's exactly what he should be doing.

Comment

Stan:

Ohio State=Hillary
        Penn State=Trump
        Goddamn blocked FG returned for a TD=B10 State "Firewall" Collapse

In the end, however, it all worked out for heroic OSU. I think, long-term, it will all work out for the Ds.
        We have threads for OSU commentary and we have threads for football commentary. This doesn't belong here, mods.

Comment

• Talent's idea of looking at both sides of an issue these days is to post articles from National Review from two different authors.

Comment

• That remains to be seen. The realization that for six years the party has been Barack Obama awash in a red sea appears to be registering on a large scale, so that's a start. But there's a long, long ways to go.

I think you and I both agree that has to begin with Ds winning back some swaths of the white vote. How...IDK.
            Excellent work recognizing the sports analogy as a political point, Hoss. I congratulate your ability to read!

My thoughts on the Ds and their prospects are previously stated. In the end, I see the macro as the obvious ebb and flow between parties. The Ds have some structural issues with their "big tent" that may slow the flow back to them, but they also have a President to run against that should speed the ebb from the Rs. Then again, I've been consistently wrong on Trump, so who knows...

...the crushing losses in the statehouses matter, though...
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Talent's idea of looking at both sides of an issue these days is to post articles from National Review from two different authors.
              Nah. There's no need, really, to post anything progressive as you have the OMG! TRUMP! articles covered in spades (making this quite the ironic post).

But, if you insist... Was Obama bad for the Ds? -- http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/op...f=opinion&_r=0

The Ds must not abandon identity politics: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-politics.html

Don't let Trump's win fool you, America is getting more liberal: https://www.wired.com/2016/12/dont-l...21916_p2&CNDID

I hope that you can find something to your liking in this selection. I suspect you've probably read at least 1 or more. I'm close to certain you don't peruse NRO so I thought I'd give you a view from the other side. My apologies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                Talent's idea of looking at both sides of an issue these days is to post articles from National Review from two different authors.
                I disagree with Kristol but he's not stupid. Is probably paying millenials at the low end of the scale to generate content. I bet the features are better. A few of them now still have standards for what gets printed in the actual magazine but not for the web.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  Talent's idea of looking at both sides of an issue these days is to post articles from National Review from two different authors.
                  Hahaha...fair and balanced.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Finally, The Atlantic laments Obama's failure to go further in the social justice arena: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ricans/511358/

Enjoy, Strangelove! Progressiveness out the ass for you today!

Comment

...the crushing losses in the statehouses matter, though...
                      Its the same problem, with the same solution, IMO. I am reasonably sure that the notion of winning on multiculturalism trends has taken it right in the pants the past six years.

You'd think that people who's entire careers are built on planning for elections would have read the tea leaves earlier, so maybe the real problem starts at the coordinator level for the party. Trying to an offense without recognizing their personnel. I am probably oversimplifying, but you gotta start somewhere.

(Football metaphors are applicable in all walks of life)
                      Last edited by Wild Hoss; December 23, 2016, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Yes. It was a clever way of reminding us that, once again, your team won. Thanks - needed that. We've gone from a passionate plea to be recognized as a member of the (shrinking) community here, to this. Please improve your behavior.

Comment

• Its the same problem, with the same solution, IMO. I am reasonably sure that the notion of winning on multiculturalism trends has taken it right in the pants the past six years.
                          Perhaps. The massive losses at a state level eventually play at the Electoral College level and you get PSU-OSU.

As I've said, I'm with Tim Ryan on this. Ds have to continue with their multiculturalism message, but they ought to consider re-prioritizing issues. That, I think, is an easy enough fix.

I also think the next two to three cycles are critical. What I've seen in Ohio is that a state can purple to red in a heartbeat and when it does you start to lose your foundation, your organization, your ability to flip it back. They will gut your party and your ability to rally. Michigan and Wisconsin are still blue-ish purple. But the Ds need to put the brakes on any slide to purple or red post haste. It's mission critical to presidential elections. So, in that regard they really need to fine tune a message that wins in those states. It's also mission critical for redistricting in 2020.

They should, IMO, get a lay-up from Trump over the next 2 to 4 years, though.

(Football metaphors are applicable in all walks of life)
                          Correct. A good sign of human decency, I say.
                          Last edited by iam416; December 23, 2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• I follow Jonah Goldberg on Twitter and he occasionally has good things to say. He also retweets a lot of his NRO buddies stuff. So I'm exposed to all of it just fine.

He's also gone from being a "Never Trumper" to "I support him as my Republican President!"

Comment

• He's also gone from being a "Never Trumper" to "I support him as my Republican President!"
                              Really? Missed that. I'll have to check his last weekly column -- the one where he usually makes it clear how much he dislikes Trump. Next you'll be telling me that David French is all gung-ho Trump.

But, thanks for the tip on posting NRO links. FYI, I read NYT, New Republic and most interesting links from RCP. So, you know, I'm up to speed, too, on the "OMG! Trump!" articles -- if that's the consideration that goes into posting links and such.

Comment

• The statehouse problems have been going on a long time for the Democratic Party. People blaming Obama must think that history began in 2008. If anything Obama was a the superstar holding the team together not the cause of the current mess.

Presidents have to be President, ultimately they are always going to be a little independent of the national party. Presidents run on an agenda, try to get that agenda passed. If they get it passed, then a lot of the momentum of the party dissipates. It is somewhat similar to a parliamentary system and the concept of ideas exhaustion.

Comment

Working...
                                X