Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska media fighting via twitter.. really, it's the OWH vs the LJS
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• NU baseball attendance Sunday: 5,266.

All six other B1G games announced attendance on Sunday COMBINED: 5,616

Comment

• Some critism of the hire

Comment

• All six other B1G games announced attendance on Sunday COMBINED: 5,616
          Yeah, Michigan Baseball has had some mild success over the past 10 years, but for the most part, its a forgotten sport. The stadium was just renovated, and is now a great facility, but the team doesn't draw well, and the talent just isn't there to compete at a high level.

Coach Rich Maloney is a fine coach, but I expect that we'll be losing him soon, to a better program. Michigan managed to keep him a few years back when Tennessee was interested in hiring him, but he stayed on when the athletic department agreed to renovate the stadium.

Unfortunately MSU is the team on the upswing around here, and with a former Michigan assistant (Jake Boss) at the helm.
          Last edited by lineygoblue; March 26, 2012, 08:17 AM.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Feel, expect the same about Maloney that M is going to lose him... Hard to follow B10 baseball, I hope major changes are taken at the NCAA, B10 level that allows the B10 to compete.

If not, I hope the B10 takes their northern friends and creates a different division of baseball in the NCAA.

Comment

• Tim Miles confirmed Monday night what many expected when he was hired as the Nebraska men's basketball coach:

Ron Coleman will be on his staff.

Coleman, who was Miles' recruiting coordinator last season at Colorado State, was in Lincoln on Monday and signed paperwork that made his move official.

Miles, speaking on the Husker Sports Network's "Sport Nightly" program, said he also brought staff member Jayden Olson from Colorado State. Olson served as Miles' director of operations.

That leaves two full-time assistant positions open, although Miles didn't shed light on how soon he'd fill those jobs, or who would fill them. He said CSU assistants Craig Smith and Niko Medved are still "running the show" at Colorado State.

Coleman, a Chicago native, was head coach of Chicago's AAU Mac Irvin Fire from 2005-11. There, he coached four McDonald's All-Americans, four Illinois players of the year and 15 players that participated in the NBA Players Association Top 100 camp.

Miles, whose hiring was made official Saturday, said he met with the Husker players Monday, and would travel Tuesday to visit signed recruits.

"We've got to recruit our own guys," Miles said, referring to players currently on the team. "They don't trust me, they don't know me. They shouldn't."

Miles will be in Kansas City on Tuesday to visit with Shavon Shields and Benny Parker, high school players who signed letters of intent in November. Miles said he will visit by phone with the three junior college players who've signed -- Fahro Alihodzic, Jerran Young and Keith Coleman.

Shields, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound guard who averaged 22 points and 8 rebounds this season at Olathe Northwest, said Monday the coaching change had no impact on his decision, and that he would be coming to Nebraska.

Tuesday will be the first time Shields has met with or talked to Miles.

"I have heard nothing but great things about him," Shields said.

Parker, a 5-9, 165-pound point guard from Kansas City Sumner, said that, as of now, he's planning on coming to Nebraska.

"After I talk to Coach Miles, I'm going to decide from there whether I'll stay or not," Parker said. "But for right now, I'm pretty sure I'll stay at Nebraska."

Other notes from Monday night:

* Miles said that after watching tape of returning players, he sees a team that needs to be physically better.

"When I look at these guys, there's some talent there, there's some good players there," Miles said. "We just need more of them. I worry about our physicality."

* Miles, noting the four Nebraskans on Colorado State's roster, expressed an interest in playing Colorado State next season. "I would not be totally against having that team out here next year," he said.

* What about the critics who've said Miles' hiring isn't the "splash" hire Nebraska needed? It doesn't bother Miles, who said the majority of people he's talked to are at least willing to give him a chance.

"There's no way to make people feel better that don't want to feel better," Miles said. "You can't please everybody all the time."

Comment

• Baseball team beat KSU tonight 6-3 in front of a home crowd of 4100.

Comment

• Miles reassures Parker, Shields with in-home visits
                  Robin Washut
                  HuskerOnline.com Senior Writer

When new Nebraska basketball coach Tim Miles officially took the job, he said he needed to personally review each of the Huskers' five commits for the 2012 class to make sure they fit what he wanted his team and program to be about.

So, three days after being introduced at NU, Miles hit the skies in the school's private jet and made personal in-home visits with Husker commits Shavon Shields and Benny Parker on Tuesday night.

New coach Tim Miles made 2012 commits Benny Parker and Shavon Shields feel much better about Nebraska's coaching change with in-home visits Tuesday night.

Miles stopped by Olathe, Kan., first to visit Shields, a three-star shooting guard who signed with Nebraska back in September. After that, he hopped back in his jet and flew out to Kansas City, Kan., to meet with Parker and his family.

While Parker, a three-star point guard, admitted he was nervous of what would happen at Nebraska after former coach Doc Sadler was fired earlier this month, he said he was instantly reassured with his future in Lincoln after meeting with Miles.

"When Coach Miles walked through the door, he seemed real excited and real energetic, and he said he was real happy about getting the chance to coach me," Parker said. "Then he told me at Colorado State he said he would've recruited me hard, but he just thought that (CSU) wouldn't be in my final decision, so he gave up in trying to recruit me. But he told me that he's happy he got me now."

Parker said that his previous history with Miles definitely helped make it an easy transition, as Miles told him he was already very familiar with his game and what he brought to the point guard position.

"I definitely feel relieved and good," Parker said. "He knows my background and I know some things about him. I was worried that if Nebraska was bringing in a new coach who didn't know nothing about me, I'd pretty much be in a bad situation. But knowing that Coach Miles is coaching there makes it all good."

Miles told Parker and Shields that both players would remain part of Nebraska's 2012 recruiting class, but apparently he couldn't say the same for the Huskers' three other junior college commits in the class.

Parker said Miles told him he and his staff were going to continue to recruit for 2012 because they weren't sure if one or even more would be academically eligible to enroll at Nebraska.

In particular, it sounds like Miles isn't very optimistic about juco power forward Fahro Alihodzic, who moved back to the Canary Islands after being one of 10 players to be suspended from his Southeastern (Iowa) Community College team for "violating college and athletic department rules."

"(Miles) said one of those juco recruits (Alihodzic) was out in Spain and might not make grades, so he said he's got to do some more recruiting in the 2012 class," Parker said. "But he pretty much said that me and Shavon were locked down and good to stay. He didn't know about the juco kids because their grades weren't where they wanted them at."

Overall, Parker said he felt totally comfortable with Miles as his future coach, and said Miles assured him that he would fit right in with the style of play Nebraska was going to run next season.

"I feel really comfortable with him," Parker said. "Like I said, he knows me, knows about me and knows what I can do. He just seems real cool. He laid everything on the table, and he's honest with everything. He said I'm the guy he wants.

"He said he depends a lot on his guards. He doesn't like to run a slow-paced game. He likes to go real up-tempo, and that fits my style. He needs a guard who can play defense as well, and that fits me too."

Comment

• Lincoln ok's further haymarket development

Comment

• The Big Ten Network announced Monday plans to show Nebraska's Red-White Game.

BTN will stream the game live at 1 p.m. CT on Saturday, April 14, on both BTN2Go and The Big Ten Digital Network. BTN also will have highlights and analysis from that day's Big Ten spring games on Saturday night at 8:30 p.m. CT on B1G Tonight Spring Football Edition with Dave Revsine, Gerry DiNardo and Howard Griffith.

The Nebraska game will air on BTN at 9:30 p.m. CT on April 14. Kevin Kugler and former Nebraska offensive lineman Will Shields will call the game.

BTN's spring football coverage includes the Big Ten Football Report every Tuesday night and B1G Tonight Spring Football Edition Saturday nights beginning April 14. BTN will offer a live television or internet broadcast for every Big Ten spring football game or final practice.

BTN2Go is a live 24/7 digital extension of the Big Ten Network that gives fans the ability to watch the network live wherever they are via computer, smartphone or tablet. Full online access to BTN2Go is available to subscribers of participating TV providers at no additional charge. As of March 23, Bright House Networks, Charter, Cox, DIRECTV, Dish, Time Warner Cable and Verizon FiOS offer BTN2Go to their subscribers. For more information, go to BTN2Go.com

The Big Ten Digital Network, which is available via subscription, combines streaming audio and video content from games/events that are not televised live on BTN. Fans only looking for access to a single school's content can subscribe to just that school on monthly and annual renewing terms. If you are not already a subscriber to the BTDN, go to video.btn.com/allaccess to subscribe to view the Nebraska game.

Comment

• Junior fullback C.J. Zimmerer entered spring practice with a good working knowledge of his position — the best understanding of the fullbacks.

That doesn't mean he's locked down a starting job.

"It's going to be a battle," Nebraska running backs coach Ron Brown said Wednesday.

Zimmerer is being pushed by transfer Mike Marrow and senior Graham Stoddard, who switched from linebacker.

"C.J. has the most knowledge of the position right now, but Mike Marrow is a very good athlete," Brown said. "For a big boy, he can run pretty well. He moves well. He could be a good runner. We just have to polish him up. He's got to learn the offense.

"But he has talent. He has thump to him."

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Marrow, a junior who sat out last season after transferring from Eastern Michigan, is the son of Nebraska graduate assistant Vince Marrow. The younger Marrow also is capable of playing running back, especially in short-yardage situations.

The Huskers are looking to replace Tyler Legate, who started 16 games the last three seasons.

Brown said Zimmerer, of Omaha, is a dependable player.

"He's had some injuries," Brown said. "We just have to keep him healthy. And Graham Stoddard has speed, but it's a new position for him. He's learning a lot.

"We just have to keep making progress. I think there's a lot of potential there."

Brown emphasized the need for the fullbacks to learn the position well. It's not an easy position to master, he said.

"It's a glorified offensive line position," Brown said. "There are a lot of things you have to know in the kind of system we're running right now."

*SMOOTH TRANSITION: With one-third of the spring practices complete, first-year defensive backs coach Terry Joseph believes his players are starting to adjust to his style.

"The big thing that I told them is that when it's wrong, it's going to be corrected immediately," Joseph said. "And I think that's the thing that they adjusted to, that they know there's going to be some feedback immediately — good, bad or indifferent."

Joseph said Braylon Heard, who moved from running back to cornerback this spring, is showing he has a knack for playing the position.

"Braylon's a guy who has a tremendous skill set, in my opinion," Joseph said. "Great change of direction, good ball skills. Him being an offensive player, he has some football IQ. So his adjustment's been going well. He and Ciante (Evans) have both been doing well at that (nickel) spot and they're just going to keep battling. So the more they put the pads on, the more we'll find out about them."

As for the young safeties — sophomores Corey Cooper and Harvey Jackson — they're practicing with the second unit right now, behind seniors Daimion Stafford and P.J. Smith.

*O-LINE SHIFTS: As reported Monday, junior Andrew Rodriguez is working at tackle after spending his first two seasons at guard.

Assistant offensive line coach John Garrison said Wednesday that Rodriguez was performing well at guard, but coaches saw some reasons to give him a go at tackle.

"We didn't move him because we felt like he wasn't playing well at guard," Garrison said. "You look at the depth and experience and what we've got coming, we moved him to that position just to ensure that (depth) a little bit, and compete and push some guys, too."

Rodriguez joins a competition at tackle that includes sophomore Tyler Moore and juniors Jeremiah Sirles and Brent Qvale.

The 6-foot-6, 325-pound Rodriguez shared time at left guard throughout last season with Seung Hoon Choi. And when Rodriguez suffered a foot injury late in the season, Choi held his own while starting the last four games.

Coaches' confidence in Choi to man that guard spot is another reason for Rodriguez to work at tackle as Nebraska attempts to find the best front-five combination.

"Us moving Andrew Rodriguez around is a direct result because we felt pretty confident in Choi's ability," Garrison said.

*VISITORS: Former NU men's basketball coach Doc Sadler, who was fired March 9, visited practice and shot the breeze with Husker assistants afterward. Big Ten Network analysts Gerry DiNardo and Howard Griffith also were on hand.

— Steven M. Sipple and Brian Christopherson

Comment

• DiNardo tweets:

@gerrydinardo
                          Spring Practice Tour #Huskers Pretty physical practice yesterday. Two most physical practices we've seen so far #Huskers #Goblue
                          5m

Spring Practice Tour. #Huskers thought Brion Carnes looked good. Would be nice to get him a good amount of game reps early in season
                          10m

Spring Practice Tour. #Hiuskers What a plus it would b if Abdullah/Green came along @ IB. Burkhead with those 2 ready 2 roll would b strong
                          44m

Spring Practice Tour #Huskers. Rex Burkhead should be on everyone's Heisman pre season list. He's good enough and probably can handle hype
                          46m

Spg Prac Tour #Huskers 1 pos that benefits the most from being in same O 2 yrs in a row is OL they have a lot to learn & do a lot physically
                          2h

Spf Practice Tour headed 2 #Gophers on plane have to shut down. More on #Huskers when we land. Don't like the wind here could b rough flight
                          2h

Spg Practice Tour #Huskers Secondary deep & talented T Joseph great addition 2 staff. Depth gives them different ways to defend spread teams
                          2h

Spring Practice Tour #Husker. A little banged up in the D line but again good # around 13. Good news when a pos is banged you develop depth
                          2h

Spring Practice Tour #Huskers Again my # may b off but I counted 23 O lineman. At one of our stops they had 8 O lineman.
                          2h

Spring Practice Tour #Huskers Neb 125 players @ spring most have somewhere in the 80's. Big # allow you 2 develop your young players all spg
                          2h

Spring Practice Tour #Huskers 1 of the great traditions of Neb FB is their walk on program & my # may b off but I counted 125 @ practice
                          2h

Spring Practice Tour stop 6 #Huskers done. Always great visiting Nebraska. One of the great places in College Football. Great fun in Lincoln

Comment

• You are a sad sad man Ent...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• tell me something I don't know..

Comment

• BTN sits down with UNL's offensive coordinator

Comment

Working...
                                X