No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not sure I mentioned this before but, Nebraska has always been my second favorite college team (but that diminished when a National Championship was shared by my favorite team........no, I was not in heaven because both of my favorite teams could be called champ).

This is because while being just a tadpole within my profession and having to work 7 days a week, I convinced the boss a perk should be a TV so I could keep track of my football habit. He agreed as long as work did not suffer.

The Oklahoma, Nebraska games on Thanksgiving weekend were the icing on the cake from the Michigan O-lie-O State games from the week before.

Loved Tom Osborne.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• ........oh, and maybe I forgot to mention.

I was really happy to see Penn State join the Big 10 also.

Why?

Because it meant they could no longer be mentioned as a perennieal National Championship team.

Big 10 football is rough stuff.

There is a reason why they do not have the greatest record in post season play. Actually, more than one.

It does not matter if you are playing O-lie-O State, or Illinois. Every game will take a toll on you because this is a true Black and Blue Conference.

The second reason is, the time between the season ending game, and the post season game is so far away, the competitive juices have ebbed.

Third reason is, most of the coaches have used post season play as a reward for a great season and not the continuation of the season.

Winning the Big 10 in your inaugural year would be really amazing.

I would suggest that the pre-season lists also make great locker room motivation for a lot of teams.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Another article on nebraska's new baseball coach
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Another article on nebraska's new baseball coach

Comment

• B10 plays baseball [joking]

Anyway, B10 is at an enormous disadvantage in baseball and there isn't much hope its going to get better. The talent isn't here, the talent is where you can play baseball for more than 8 months a year and that isn't B10 country...

You'd think the B10 could recruit the south but with scholarship restrictions (most baseball players are partial scholarships), not many are going to pay out-of-state fees to play baseball in B10 country where you can't play for 4 months of the year. In baseball, all the successful teams are those with talent in their backyards...

Because of the massive amount of football scholarships (85, which funds a ton of girls sports), Title IX (every male scholarship has to have an equal amount of female scholarships) and the NCAA's rule on the # of scholarships per sport (most college sports only half your team is on scholarship or most of them are on partial scholarships), full scholarships just aren't there to field a team of full scholarship players in a lot of the 'lesser' sports. Its not a level playing field in sports imo when your relying on partial scholarships. The schools that reside in states where the talent is, is always going to be where the successful programs are. In some ways, that benefits the B10 in some sports and hurts them in others...

Now that NCAA has put rules in place against aluminum bats this year, I'd like to really follow college baseball but its difficult to put any effort into it when the playing field isn't anywhere near level and there isn't much hope of that changing.
            Last edited by WM Wolverine; June 5, 2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Agree. I would like to see the season moved back 2 weeks as well

Comment

• Article on the history of the bigten

Comment

• Nebraska's TV schedule as of today:

09/03 Chattanooga BTN 2:30 PM
                  09/10 Fresno State BTN 6 PM
                  09/17 Washington TBA
                  09/24 @Wyoming Versus 6:30 pm
                  10/01 @Wisconsin ABC/ESPN 7 pm
                  10/08 Ohio State ABC/ESPN 7 pm
                  10/22 @Minnesota ABC 2:30 pm
                  10/29 Michigan St TBA
                  11/05 Northwestern TBA
                  11/12 @Penn State TBA
                  11/19 @Michigan TBA
                  11/25 Iowa ABC 11 am

Comment

• thanks for sharing that ent.

Comment

• Good luck with that B10 schedule, Wisky should be a great early game in the B10 and should tell us a lot about who stands where in the B10 race.

Comment

• Starling was just drafted by the royals. Home town pressure will be intense. Probably won't make it to UNL.

Comment

• He never was....at least not unless he washes out from baseball. By which time Pelini will have had us change offenses two or three more times, and be God-knows-where philosophically.

Comment

• NU-Washington set for ABC

Big Red Today

Nebraska's Sept. 17 home game with Washington will be televised by ABC and will start at 2:30 p.m.

The Big Ten Conference also has announced times for NU's Sept. 3 home game vs. Chattanooga (2:30 p.m.) and its Sept. 10 home game vs. Fresno State (6 p.m.).

09/03 Chattanooga Big 10 2:30 pm
                            09/10 Fresno State Big 10 6 pm
                            09/17 Washington ABC 2:30 pm
                            09/24 @Wyoming Versus 6:30 pm
                            10/01 @Wisconsin ABC/ESPN 7 pm
                            10/08 Ohio State ABC/ESPN 7 pm
                            10/22 @Minnesota ABC 2:30 pm
                            10/29 Michigan St TBA
                            11/05 Northwestern TBA
                            11/12 @Penn State TBA
                            11/19 @Michigan TBA
                            11/25 Iowa ABC 11 am

Comment

• The Revenge Game, for the Revenge Game.

Comment

• http://m.omaha.com/om/pm_23110/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=jEayzT9g

LINCOLN - Some cable and satellite television subscribers in the state of Nebraska might not get to watch three Husker football games this season on their home TV.

And if they do, they'll likely face a bigger monthly bill.

A dispute between the Big Ten Conference and TV providers over distribution of the Big Ten Network and the fees that systems pay for BTN has put home Nebraska sporting events in limbo for certain subscribers.

The most high-profile of those events are the Huskers' Sept. 3 (Tennessee-Chattanooga) and Sept. 10 (Fresno State) football games, and a to-be-determined conference football game.

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and BTN President Mark Silverman, in a joint interview Tuesday with NU Athletic Director Tom Osborne, said the issue is one of fairness.

Said Delany: "We're not going to have the Big Ten Network not be treated in the same way in Nebraska that it's treated thoughout the conference.''

The conference wants TV distributors in Nebraska to pay fees and distribute BTN on a comparable tier or level of service that cable and satellite systems in the other eight states in the Big Ten do.

Comment

Working...
                                X