No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stan.. I think most coaches help more kids with second chances than not. We do seem to focus on those who never change or take advantage of the life course corrections because it's better press and now, much better on twitter.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• True enough

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
        hoss... I don't recall any problems LP had prior to recruitment that would lead to your comments that UNL rolled the dice... In fact, I was pretty sure he had a clean record and more importantly, wasn't a problem in school or his group home.
        Are you kidding? The man had no father figure in his life, fled an abusive home environment in 6th grade, essentially had no relationship with his mother since that time, and had been in a series of foster homes every since.

You don't see any red flags there?

Comment

• Husker Nation

That's not what you alluded to... You roll the dice on trouble makers not kids with rough childhoods. There are many who overcome with the right childhood relationship.

Phillips was not in trouble or caused trouble as a youth. Nothing anyone was aware of.. That is not rolling the dice IMO. There is a difference between saying a kid might have issues adjusting or making it vs saying you rolled the dice. Heck, I've seen studies that say two parent home kids are better at school and get in less trouble than one parent homes... That doesn't mean UNL rolled the dice with eric crouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by entropy; April 20, 2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

That's not what you alluded to...
            It is exactly what I alluded to actually.

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            You roll the dice on trouble makers not kids with rough childhoods.
            That's as assumption on your part, but really saying "Rough childhood" would be quite a watering down of what Lawrence Philips went through.

There are many who overcome with the right childhood relationship.
            There are "many" who have made half-court shots to win prizes too, but its not a method I'd recommend to rustle up a birthday present for your kids.

Phillips was not in trouble or caused trouble as a youth. Nothing anyone was aware of.. That is not rolling the dice..
            It very much was IMO. He may not have had the juvenile record of some (Not that NU would have access to it anyway) but its pretty slight leap to look at Phillips' history and surmise that there's going to be serious emotional issues there...especially for a guy with a doctorate in psychology. Osborne determined that the juice was worth the squeeze, and rolled the dice.

Comment

• You're as wrong as DSL's animal loving fetish.

Comment

• Hoss must have that third eye talent to predict which kids will murder their cell mates

Comment

• Riley probably should avoid any kid from an inner city then... Or a trailer park.. Rough upbringings.

Comment

• Since ent is such a Star Wars fan....

Comment

• Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• As it happens an editor of mine ran track at Neb in the 90s -- just learned this a few weeks back over lunch. He didn't have much positive to say about how the athletic department takes care of its players. The story of how TO's political career ended was pretty amusing though.

Comment

• They should write a book on how a guy with that big of a lead could lose. And it really was more about TO than his opponent. Should be studied in school at a minimum.

Comment

And it really was more about TO than his opponent.
                            This. Osborne lost because people voted against him, in lieu of voting for his opponent. From speaking with friends and family in NE at the time I picked up on two primary sentiments:

1) Many people were offended by Osborne's arrogance in trying to unseat a popular governor

2) Many people were concerned about Osborne forcing his puritanical beliefs on them.

I think that 1) was a statewide sentiment, to varying degrees.

2) probably carried the day in Douglas/Sarpy counties (Omaha metro) where half the state population lives, and is already seething that the bible-beaters won't legalize gambling, and have kept the liquor laws mired in pre-1920s thinking for a hundred years.

Like to get Wiz' opinion on this, being a native.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                              This. Osborne lost because people voted against him, in lieu of voting for his opponent. From speaking with friends and family in NE at the time I picked up on two primary sentiments:

1) Many people were offended by Osborne's arrogance in trying to unseat a popular governor

2) Many people were concerned about Osborne forcing his puritanical beliefs on them.

I think that 1) was a statewide sentiment, to varying degrees.

2) probably carried the day in Douglas/Sarpy counties (Omaha metro) where half the state population lives, and is already seething that the bible-beaters won't legalize gambling, and have kept the liquor laws mired in pre-1920s thinking for a hundred years.

Like to get Wiz' opinion on this, being a native.
                              IMO:
                              I've been to Omaha and the place is crawling with cowboys and indians and they are both loaded.
                              "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• The story I heard was that support for allowing the children of illegal immigrants to go to UNL on in-state tuition sank him immediately. He responded to the question as an educator rather than as a politician.

Comment

Working...
                                X