No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah ...... reminds me of Borges and Hoke's complete indifference about the really stupid stuff he did over his tenure as OC.

Good CFB coaches have their fingerprints over every aspect of the program. Even in delegating, absolutely required unless you are going to have health issues from working in this profession, your mark still needs to be visible to those you are supervising and from the outside to those looking in.

Hoke was clueless, it appears in that regard, and it seems from your perspective, you'd agree Bo wasn't too good at it either.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I think that Bo ultimately had to go. You've got the caveat that it could be worse, but you've got to expect more. Those Wisky humiliations were inexcusable and there is no circumstance that can make it otherwise.

It's a good thing that we didn't end up 8-5 last year. Between 5-7 and OSU's 59-0 shellacking of Wisky, the pressing need for the best available coach couldn't have been more obvious.

Comment

• Hanni, off topic here, but Hoke was gone way before his record became an obvious issue.

I'm pretty sure the M power base was angling for JH a year, maybe more, before he was officially hired. The smoke of his demise at the hands of the idiots running the front office in SF was there as early as the Super Bowl loss to the Ravens in early 2013. Not winning the NFC West in 2013 may have sealed the deal and despite how good he really is, he was a dead man walking and insiders at M were sending out feelers.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The problem Entropy is wrestling with is whether 9/10 wins a season is Bo's ceiling or modern-day/post-Osborne Nebraska's. That said, I do think UNL should win the B10 West with some consistency and I'm not sure Bo was there. The loss to Wisky last year was really, really, really bad.

Speaking of which, it seemed like all you had to do to stop Gordon was play assignment-sound football and tackle. EZPZ. Heh.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• With the West as shitty as it is some years, 9-10 shouldn't be the ceiling. Or, at the very least, those 3-4 losses shouldn't be games where you give up 50 points and 600 yards.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
              KU fired the fatman for being a jackass... TT fired Leach for the same.. fyi

IMO Bo was fired because people didn't think he could take nebraska back to where it belongs. Being a jackass probably cost him a year or two.
              Agree. Bo burned through a lot of his personal capital in the previous two years, and it made him more vulnerable to growing scrutiny about his record. In the end, it was a juice v squeeze argument that he lost within the circles that matter.

People forget though, that he still had a lot of (inexplicable) personal support at the time he was fired. He bailed the admin out of a PR problem with that stunt he pulled at Lincoln High, when it was recorded and leaked. If he?d just slipped off quietly into the night, NU would still be fighting internally IMO.

Comment

• With the West as shitty as it is some years, 9-10 shouldn't be the ceiling. Or, at the very least, those 3-4 losses shouldn't be games where you give up 50 points and 600 yards.
                Yeah, his teams always took at least one really medieval thrashing each year. Wisky last season. Getting housed 38-17 by Iowa at home the year before and UCLA running up their ass all day. Losing 63-38 to OSU in 2012 and 70-30 in the B10CG. Getting destroyed by Wisky and Michigan in their first season in the B10.

Comment

• I think winning the BIG is tougher at UNL than many schools, but not impossible. The right blend has to be in place and some level of patience. You won't "turn" around Nebraska in 2 yrs like you can at Florida, OSU, USC, Texas, etc.. But you can demonstrate signs that you're organized, players are developing above their star potential, you have a plan that works in that part of the country, you can relate to the people, etc.. Do those things AND compete, you'll eventually win... and eventually win it all. Get back to teams knowing they'll get a tough phyiscal game with Nebraska and fans will be fine. You'll win enough.
                  Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    With the West as shitty as it is some years, 9-10 shouldn't be the ceiling. Or, at the very least, those 3-4 losses shouldn't be games where you give up 50 points and 600 yards.
                    As ent said earlier, you see a lot of self-inflicted wounds when looking in-depth at Pelini's Nebraska.

Now, every staff has its weak spots; Riley's Nebraska will be no different. What separates Bo's regime is many of the mistakes made were the result of...just a lack of goddamn common sense really. I'd say "rookie mistakes", but as I ent and I have discussed before, I actually don't believe many rookie HCs would make the same mistakes that Bo's clown-car staff did.

Like ent alluded to...you run a defense that cedes numbers at the line of scrimmage, and utilizes 2-gap technique to account for it; so when Suh graduates, who do you replace him with? Nobody. You recruit 6-2, 240lb DTs that require 3 years development before they could even possibly attempt to handle such a scheme, even if they're good enough athletes to begin with. Subsequently, your run defense- once a hallmark of your program- becomes a punchline.

You run a passive, bend-don't-break defensive scheme that cedes snaps field position to the opposing offense. What do you do? Install an ill-conceived hurry-up offense that turns the ball over a bunch and doesn't burn TOP, and neglect special teams.

In June 2010 your find out that your school is moving from a spread-heavy Big 12 to the BIG in 2011, and you're short of LBs and DTs. When do you start recruiting them to compensate? Well, if you're Bo Pelini...2013.

The list goes on...but I just don't see the Riley staff making these kinds of fundamental errors.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Yeah, his teams always took at least one really medieval thrashing each year. Wisky last season. Getting housed 38-17 by Iowa at home the year before and UCLA running up their ass all day. Losing 63-38 to OSU in 2012 and 70-30 in the B10CG. Getting destroyed by Wisky and Michigan in their first season in the B10.
                      Here's the thing...as if the scores there aren't bad enough, its not like that list is comprised of powerhouse football teams either. You look at what happened to us when we played at Wisco last year for instance, look at the rest of Wisco's record (Especially the 59-0 shellacking in Indy) and one has to conclude that shit is seriously amiss.

Comment

• "clown-car" ......

That made me laugh only because the same thing was going on at M but you guys had it much worse. At least we had Dennard for a few years and by-God, Mattison did try.

The offensive coaches tried to hobble Dennard and they did by subjecting him to an unnecessary amount of pounding but he was just good and overcame a lot of the Hokeorges stupid.

Comment

• Osborne lost the gov race because the other candidate was better. Your idolism will only carry you so far. Legislature is one thing. Governor is another. I don't think he was a good thing for Nebraska or Congress personally. He let his religious beliefs override common sense. I'm a Libertarian...fuck government anyway. Oh and fuck you talent. heh.

DSL...next time drive through Nebraska...stop in North Platte...I'll get you drunk then beat the shit out of you. Good times.
                          Last edited by THE_WIZARD_; April 30, 2015, 08:02 AM.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Bo was in over his head from day 1...and never really "got it"...Suh and some others (the 2010 defense was pretty salty too without Suh) carried Bo the first 3 years. After that it was a total shitfest.

fuckin' Ohioans
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                              Osborne lost the gov race because the other candidate was better. Your idolism will only carry you so far. Legislature is one thing. Governor is another. I don't think he was a good thing for Nebraska or Congress personally. Her let his religious beliefs override common sense. I'm a Libertarian...fuck government anyway. Oh and fuck you talent. heh.

DSL...next time drive through Nebraska...stop in North Platte...I'll get you drunk then beat the shit out of you. Good times.
                              Her did? We should introduce her to OP. They might get along.

Comment

• DSL...next time drive through Nebraska...stop in North Platte...I'll get you drunk then beat the shit out of you. Good times.
                                Given that the only other option in Ogallala is intra-species or inter-species sodomy or feces-smearing, I reckon that's a mighty kind offer, DSL. Though, you lack fur and a tail so you're sodomy risk isn't that high.

Comment

Working...
                                X