No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess that means Darlington has been taking the snaps. Great..
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
      No offence, but i'm sure you have heard this. I have seen Riley a lot on tv and well is there a nicer guy in football anywhere?

why would you say something like that... what have we ever done to you?

Comment

• hoss... per someone on scout, TA played the iowa game with a torn hamstring. Had to go because fyfe couldn't. I guess that is what they're saying on the local radio.
        Last edited by entropy; December 13, 2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Senior quarterback Tommy Armstrong is in doubt because of a severe hamstring injury, and that means that Ryker Fyfe is once again getting first team reps — an uncertain picture is kind of the nature of the beast for a backup quarterback.
          “Kind of the story of my career,” Fyfe joked.

There’s also some question about Fyfe, however. The senior backup still hasn’t been able to take a snap under center because of a broken wrist that requires a cast on his non-throwing hand.

“Last few weeks, I’ve been doing the same thing. You just have to prepare like you’re going to start and if he comes back, that’s their decision. Other than that, I just go out and practice hard everyday,” Fyfe said. “Right now they’re just preparing me to start. They haven’t told me when Tommy is coming back, if he’s coming back.”

That was a similar situation to the regular season finale against Iowa. Fyfe had surgery for a broken wrist hours after Nebraska’s win over Maryland, while Armstrong nursed a sore hamstring. Fyfe said he guessed both he and Armstrong were at about 30 percent for that game, which Armstrong a bit more healthier.

“It would have been all shotgun. It would have been tough,” Fyfe said about if he could have played against Iowa. “I had a broken wrist. I had surgery five days prior. I would have been able to do it, but it would have been a lot tougher. It obviously hurt pretty bad.”
          He gave credit to Armstrong for making the start, and playing the whole game against the Hawkeyes.

“He could barely run,” Fyfe said. “He has a torn hamstring and that usually lasts 4-6 weeks and he came back in a week. You have to give him a lot of credit.”

The injury occurred to Fyfe’s non-throwing hand in the win over Maryland. In the third quarter, he dropped back…and kept dropping before being thrown to the turf. The referee asked if Fyfe was OK, and the quarterback joked that he had broken his wrist, and laughed. Turns out, he was right.

Fyfe said the cast will likely remain on his wrist until the bowl game, and that he hopes to be able to start taking snaps under center next week.

He said he feels confident in how he would be able to play against the Volunteers if called upon, and mentioned that a start in his final game would be an honor.

“It would mean a lot to be able to go out and play hard one last game and hopefully finish the career on a high note,” Fyfe said.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
            hoss... per someone on scout, TA played the iowa game with a torn hamstring. Had to go because fyfe couldn't. I guess that is what they're saying on the local radio.
            Yep. Makes sense in light of the news on Fyfe...the info that he might play against Iowa was clearly pure misinformation. Darlington only knew a few plays, and practice reports indicated that putting him in would have been utter disaster. Had to be TA.

Bad luck, but I do wonder how long these guys thought they were going to get by with only two QBs, especially when your starter is a guy that takes as many hits as Armstrong does. And hell, people are generally terrified at the thought of Fyfe starting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
              .......but I do wonder how long these guys thought they were going to get by with only two QBs, especially when your starter is a guy that takes as many hits as Armstrong does.......
              This question applies to a ton of programs running any kind of read option spread. You have to wonder how many coaches go sleepless over the question of do I or don't I recruit a couple of extra guys at that spot. Given the the ridiculous limits on practice time for these often complicated offenses, how much do you rep the back-ups live with the first team to get them ready to play when the starter goes down?

Obvioulsy, it seems RR and esp. Hokeorges F'ed this question up big time. Riley maybe too. Seems to me it's a no brainer. Get some depth. Most of us thought it odd when Harbaugh loaded up on QBs as soon as he came to M. Competition was the main thing we were told and it certainly seemed to make Speight better but the whole question of how many QBs is enough is an interesting one.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• You need a QB in every class. Every. Class.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Read option offenses aren't all that complicated, it's why these quarterbacks struggle at the next level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                    This question applies to a ton of programs running any kind of read option spread. You have to wonder how many coaches go sleepless over the question of do I or don't I recruit a couple of extra guys at that spot. Given the the ridiculous limits on practice time for these often complicated offenses, how much do you rep the back-ups live with the first team to get them ready to play when the starter goes down?

Obvioulsy, it seems RR and esp. Hokeorges F'ed this question up big time. Riley maybe too. Seems to me it's a no brainer. Get some depth. Most of us thought it odd when Harbaugh loaded up on QBs as soon as he came to M. Competition was the main thing we were told and it certainly seemed to make Speight better but the whole question of how many QBs is enough is an interesting one.
                    For my money you take as many QBs as is required to have two that can legitimately play. If you have to sign six, so be it. You must have high-caliber QB play to compete in today?s game, so do whatchu gotta do.

I?d argue that at NU we don?t really have even one, but setting aside the Square Peg Tommie, our ?backup? of two years is a kid who?s career highlight is looking competent for a half against Maryland. And that was a big surprise.

I don?t know WTF our 3rd team QB has been doing. He?s a built and athletic kid who was reportedly bouncing between WR and QB, practicing a small cross-section of plays under center so we would not have to pull the redshirt off of Patrick O?Brien should the need for our 3rd QB arise. When that need did arise though, he looked so ill-prepared that we decided to play Tommy with a torn hamstring instead. This after we had already flirted with disaster weeks earlier at Ohio State, so the alarm had sounded. But come Iowa, our 3rd Team Guy was still woefully unprepared.

Maybe I am being too critical, but I hold this staff to a high standard when it comes to issues like this. Guys with a hundred years of coaching experience and reputations as being offensive gurus should not be caught in a scenario where your 3rd team guy cannot even spit out the calls or complete a slant pass in practice.

Ugh.

Comment

• Riley was buying time with Tommy and hoped like hell to never need Fyfe. Backfired late in the season. Now you can bet the farm and my tractor on the Vals and we hope Lee and Gebbia are the real deal for 2017...we are in deep doodoo. Thankfully we had a ridiculously easy early schedule in 2016.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Gebbia wants to redshirt.. its POB or Lee only

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Here we go again...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                            Here we go again...
                            Yeah. QB is going to be manned by a transfer and RS frosh...no worries there! I know they like both, but slinging it around on the scout team isn't the real thing.

RB and DE are other positions that may hold the team back from making a substantial improvement as well. Parella has to get Alex Davis' athleticism translated into making plays on the football field. And Tre Bryant better continue his development, and stay healthy.

Comment

• So, what I'm hearing is that the Vals are about to get wailed and UFM will get Bausermanned in Lincoln next season.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Huskers win this easy. Vols are an empty shell of a team.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X