No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we can get you and Doug to park next to each other, that would be quite a party.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Sipple:

The more things change. …

As long as the Pelini brothers are around, there'll be at least one constant at North Stadium: Their enduring outward confidence in Nebraska's defense.

"Shoot, we're limitless in terms of how good we can be," NU defensive coordinator Carl Pelini said Tuesday during a pre-spring practice news conference.

Naturally, the presser mostly was about Nebraska's changes on offense under new coordinator Tim Beck. However, there also are a few noteworthy shifts on defense, other than the two new full-time assistant coaches.

Carl Pelini is now a one-title coach. He's the defensive coordinator, period. For the past three seasons, he had a slash in his official title -- defensive coordinator/defensive line coach. The slash has left the building. John Papuchis now heads up the D-line coaching after being listed as defensive ends coach the previous three seasons.

What to make of it all?

With Carl Pelini's role expanding on defense, head coach Bo Pelini can focus more intently on other aspects of the program. He can better oversee the entire operation. To that end, he's spending more time with the offense, even more than last season, Carl said.

Bottom line, we're seeing a relatively young head coach evolving. We're seeing a program evolve.

Perhaps here's the key: "Now, Bo's going to be providing Tim with an extra set of eyes at times, and then for us at times," Carl said. "Bo's been in the offensive meeting rooms a lot in the morning during this offseason, and then he's with the defense in the afternoon. I think it's going to be great for him as he evolves as a head coach and takes over the entire team.

"And I think that's one thing he's done during this offseason very, very well. He's put his stamp on recruiting, special teams, offense and defense, just the daily organization of our office -- everything. He's really taken control, down to the small details of the program."

With change comes opportunity. The Big Ten represents major change, as do Bo's offseason staff alterations. Carl paints a picture of Bo stepping back, analyzing the previous three seasons and making adjustments. Frankly, tinkering was needed. You saw what I saw at the end of last season, when the Huskers lost three of their last four and were soundly whipped by a so-so Washington outfit in the bowl game.

Nebraska needs to become a more efficient program across the board to reach Bo's oft-stated objective. By the way, he stated it again Tuesday: "We want to win championships around here."

Carl's role in the big picture is crucial, obviously.

"It's important that my role expands," he said. "When Bo's with the offense, I can be working at any level of the defense."

Let's be clear: Last fall, Bo spent a lot of time moving between offense and defense, Carl said.

"That led to a little frustration on my part because I was so involved with the front (four)," Carl said. "Now, I think I can have the same involvement with the front and expand involvement with the secondary and linebackers."

Carl's expanding role isn't surprising to me. In a 2007 interview, he made it clear that he'll always "aggressively pursue" authority and responsibility. It's part of his nature.

Will Carl call the defense on game days?

"That's the agreement," he said, laughing. "We'll see."

He actually provided a window into the Pelini defensive wizardry.

"Especially last year and the year before -- maybe not so much our first year here -- I don't think there was a call made when there wasn't discussion between Bo and I," Carl said. "We've really grown comfortable with each other and learned to anticipate each other's thoughts."

As for Nebraska's defense, Carl said having experienced, proven leaders at all three levels (line, linebackers, secondary) helps matters greatly. This potentially could be the best defense he's had at NU, he said.

"We're talented," he said. ‘'We've got great leadership. We're fast and we're physical. …"

Some things really don't change.
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_J7vV73kLE&tracker=False"]YouTube - (2000 Alamo Bowl) Nebraska vs. Northwestern[/ame]

Comment

entropy,
          There is a draft thread to the NFL in the Detroit Lions section that addresses all potential draftees.

I would hope this thread would address the welcomed incoming information/smack for the Huskies.

.......on a note, I was really happy to learn that Nebraska decided to come to the big 10?,11?Ok 12? Nope already taken....... Because in my youth, I loved watching the Nebraska, OK games on the day after Thanksgiving while at work.

Nebraska became my second favorite college team but I have to admit, too many of my second generation relatives have forced me to become a Michigan State fan as a second choice.

I still have a t-shirt that my wife wants to throw away that is a favorite of mine that is a husker original. (It is old but I wear it occasionally to my wife's chagrin.) .....bought in 1974.
          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

yes.. runza is coming to KC

Comment

Eighteen student athletes receive Big 12’s highest academic honor

By Independent Wire Services
              Published: Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:13 PM CST

Nebraska boasts an impressive list of 18 student-athletes who have been honored with the inaugural Dr. Gerald Lage award, the Big 12 Conference’s highest academic honor.

The 18 honorees for Nebraska are the most of any conference school, with Baylor’s 14 recipients the second-most among league schools. Nebraska’s 18 student-athletes who were honored with the award represent eight different sports.

The women’s track and field program leads the way with six student-athletes honored, with men’s track and field and women’s swimming and diving each having three individuals honored.

In order to be eligible for the accolade, student-athletes must have lettered at least once in their career while maintaining residence at their institution for at least one academic year. The honoree, which can only be recognized once, should have 100 hours of earned credit with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.80 at the time of nomination.

The Dr. Gerald Lage Award winners are receiving public recognition during the Phillips 66 Big 12 Basketball Championships this week.

Nebraska Recipients

Student-Athlete Yr. Sport Major

Kaitlin Arntz Sr. Swimming and Divinig Advertising

Austin Cassidy Jr. Football Psychology

Julie Giehl Sr. Swimming and Diving Finance/Accounting

Todd Gulizia Sr. Mens’ CC/Track & Field International Business/Spanish

Suzanne Higgins Jr. Women’s Track & Field Biological Systems Engineering

Cami Jiskra Jr. Women’s Track & Field Criminology and Criminal Justice

Scott Jorgenson Jr. Men’s Track & Field History/Social Science Education

Tucker Lane Jr. Wrestling Communication Studies

Eric Lund Sr. Men’s Track & Field Horticulture

Robin Mackin Sr. Softball Psychology

Jay Martin Jr. Football Business Administration/Finance

Ryann McGough Sr. Rifle Psychology

Ashley Miller Jr. Women’s CC/Track&Field Dietetics

Jessica Mills Sr. Soccer Biological Systems Engineering

Samantah Musil Sr. Women’s Track & Field Elementary Education/Nutrition,

Exercise and Health Science

Kayla Ubel Sr. Women’s Track & Field Psychology

Natalie Willer Sr. Women’s Track & Field Biological Sciences/Psychology

Sarah Ziegelmann Sr. Swimming and Diving Management

=======

Comment

Husker DBs look to thrive despite new faces

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Bo Pelini thinks senior NU Alfonzo Dennard is capable of being "as good of a cornerback as there is in the country." (LJS file)

The news of his coach's departure knocked Alfonzo Dennard back more than any receiver has ever done. How could it not?

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_3fcf13ae-656d-5b09-96c9-02fd7040fd3b.html

Marvin Sanders was the guy who helped Dennard grow from a raw athletic freak of nature to a confident cornerback not afraid to cover anybody -- and we mean anybody. Even if your name is Justin Blackmon.
                Sanders was Dennard's football teacher, but the player saw him as even more than that.
                "I mean, he was like a dad to me," Dennard said.
                That made it all the tougher when Sanders resigned Feb. 3 for personal and family reasons.
                Gone was the coach who had been in charge of arguably the best secondary in college football last year, a unit that finished third nationally in pass-efficiency defense and had opposing quarterbacks wondering if Nebraska's DBs were hanging out in their huddles.
                Coupled with Sanders' departure is the loss of three starting defensive backs who were good enough to be invited to the NFL Combine -- DeJon Gomes, Eric Hagg and potential top-10 draft pick Prince Amukamara.
                Given that, the question whether Nebraska's secondary can be in 2011 what it was last fall will arise.
                A tough challenge, but one the returning defensive backs are eager to accept.
                "It will be fun to get out there and hopefully prove some people wrong," said senior safety Austin Cassidy. "Obviously, losing Prince, DeJon, Eric and Coach Sanders, if we could have them back for another year, we'd take them back right now. But that's just part of the game. You got to move on. You got to adjust."
                You also have got to get to know the new guy.
                Corey Raymond was the man picked by Bo Pelini to take over coaching the secondary.
                "I love Marvin," Pelini said. "We've done a lot together, we've shared a lot together, we're good friends, we'll always be good friends. And I support him and the decision he made, but fortunately I was able to go out and hire a football coach that I have the full and utmost confidence in and tremendous respect for."
                Raymond has been a full-time assistant for just two seasons, coaching Utah State's defensive backs since 2009. But he was at LSU as an intern while Pelini was there as a defensive coordinator.
                And Raymond certainly made an impression.
                "If Coach Bo trusts Coach Corey, then we automatically are going to trust him too," Cassidy said.
                Raymond played cornerback at LSU, then another six years in the NFL.
                That experience has helped make him a great technician of the position in the eyes of Husker defensive coordinator Carl Pelini.
                "He really, really works hard and studies that hard and speaks the language of our players very well," Carl Pelini said of Raymond. "I think they're going to thrive very well under his leadership."
                Raymond isn't exactly going to find the cupboard bare at Nebraska, either. Returning are two safeties who started to shine at the end of 2010 -- Cassidy and Courtney Osborne. And when it comes to Dennard? Bo Pelini thinks the senior is capable of being "as good of a cornerback as there is in the country."
                Then there are guys like Ciante Evans and Antonio Bell, who have shown promise and figure to be a couple of the leading contenders at the corner spot opposite Dennard.
                And while we highlight those players now, Cassidy knows that no one has a starting spot locked up, not in a secondary full of so many hungry young players.
                "I remember when I wasn't one of the main guys, I wanted to be one of them so bad," Cassidy said. "So I know those guys, those younger guys that haven't played a lot, are really gunning for me. So it's just going to help us all get better as a team."
                Last year Nebraska usually played with five defensive backs on the field, using Eric Hagg in the peso package about 90 percent of the time, by Bo Pelini's estimation.
                It's expected NU will play less peso this year, perhaps using three linebackers more as it heads to the Big Ten, where it should see a few more downhill-running offenses.
                What will be a more common sight in 2011: four DBs or five DBs on the field? The Pelinis aren't getting caught up in that discussion right now.
                "The bottom line is you have to come up with your base (defense) first -- your 11 best," Carl Pelini said.
                The rest? Who's the nickel back? Who's the dime back? That comes later.
                "It's just kind of like putting a puzzle together," Carl Pelini said. "But it will probably be late in the spring before we figure out exactly what that puzzle is going to look like in the end."

Comment

another thread gave me an interesting thought... so off the top of my head:

All Nebraska Team 1980-Today
                  QB: Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost
                  IB/RB: Mike Rozier, Roger Craig, Lawrence Phillips, Ahman Green
                  FB: Tom Rathman, Corey Schlesinger, Joel Mackovicka, Jeff Mackovicka
                  TE: Matt Herian, Johnny Mitchell, Sheldon Jackson, Tracey Wistrom
                  WR/WB: Irving Fryar, Nate Swift, Matt Davidson, Bobby Newcombe; Dana Brinson
                  OT: Zach Weigert, Carl Nicks, Mark Behning, Rob Zatechka
                  OG: Dean Steinkuhler, Will Shields, Brenden Stai, Toniu Fonoti, Russ Hochstein, Matt Slausen
                  OC: Dave Rimington, Aaron Taylor, Dominic Riaola
                  PR: Bobby Newcombe; Tyrone Hughes
                  DT/NT: Ndamukong Suh, Neil Smith, Jason Peter, John Parella, Kenny Walker, Christian Peter, Terry Connelly
                  DE/RE: Grant Wistrom, Mike Rucker, Kyle Vanden bosch, Jared Tomich, Chris Kelsey
                  LB: Trev Alberts (OLB/RE Hybrid), Broderick Thomas (OLB/RE Hybrid), Barret Rudd, Marc Munford, Scott Shanle, Ed Stewart, Terell Farley, Carlos Polk, Stewart Bradley
                  CB: Tyrone Williams, Prince Amukamara, Ralph Brown, Micheal Booker, Barron Miles, Keyou Craver, D. Groce
                  Safety: Mike Brown, Mike Minter, Josh Bullocks, Bret Clark, Tony Veland, Gomes, Brian Washington
                  P: Sam Koch,
                  K: Alex Henry, Kris Brown

Comment

I should ban you for putting Scott Frost on your QB list....
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                      I should ban you for putting Scott Frost on your QB list....
                      If you don't, I WILL!!!

Comment

• THE LIST is the list

Comment

• I will for ever be grateful to Nebraska for giving us lions fans the god that is Suh.

And I'm thrilled MSU get's to play you guys every year now.
                          Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• nhw... I'm glad Suh went to the lions as well. =)

Comment

• from sipple at the LJS...

Things I know and think I know:

-- Bo Pelini seems re-charged as spring practice commences. He's picked up an injection of energy.

There's an interesting reason.

"I like when people start doubting me and saying certain things," the Nebraska football coach told me Saturday. "That fuels me. When people start questioning things and talking about how this past season finished, I use it to make me better. Trust me when I say I'm fired up. I'm looking forward to the rest of the off-season."

Learning can be an empowering process, and Pelini no doubt learned plenty from a rocky 2010 season and its aftermath.

There was the sideline blowup at Texas A&M, followed immediately by the Nebraska chancellor's rather misguided public rebuke of the head coach. (I'm told Pelini and Harvey Perlman recently patched things up.)

There were three losses in the last four games, including a surprisingly underwhelming performance in the bowl game. Then, of course, Pelini fired a couple offensive assistants and restructured his staff.

Bo said the firings were stressful. Welcome to the life of a CEO. Pressure at the top becomes unwieldy at times, especially for a relatively inexperienced head coach.

Now I think we're seeing Pelini moving back to center. His tenure at Nebraska, in many ways, starts afresh in year four.

"Honestly, I've been settled in for a couple months now," he said. "I think people thought it was a lot tougher off-season than it was. The toughest part was making changes. That's never easy. But I've moved forward. We've gotten a lot of work done as a staff in recent weeks. I've enjoyed it."

-- Pelini doesn't spell it out in words. But his emphasis on offensive line improvement is clear. You see it not only in John Garrison becoming a full-time assistant to help Barney Cotton, but also in Bo hiring ex-Husker All-Big Eight selection Brenden Stai as an intern. Stai and Zach Wiegert in 1994 gave the Huskers a dominating right side of the line.

Stai, a guard, went on to start 96 games in the NFL from 1995-2002. He's a helpful guy to have around the weight room -- especially since Nebraska happens to have two first-time starters at the guard positions.

Bottom line, "You have half your offense, basically, at that position," Pelini said of the O-line. "It's hard for one assistant coach to have enough hands and eyes to do everything necessary to get that position good enough attention. That's just my personal feeling."

It's something Pelini actually pondered for a couple years, he said.

"I've talked to a lot of people about it," he said, including Tom Osborne and Milt Tenopir.

Nebraska's consistent substandard play in the offensive line has been one of the program's most baffling elements in the last decade or so.

-- Pelini and his staff will be careful this spring to avoid showing their hand about exactly what they're planning offensively.

"I think people already have a little misconception of what we're going to do," Pelini said. "It's not like we're going to come out and run our whole offense in the spring game. We're going to be very guarded as to what we show and what we don't show. We're usually very, very basic in the spring game. But I really like what we're doing offensively. Like it a lot."

-- New offensive coordinator Tim Beck raised eyebrows last month when he said during a radio interview that true freshman quarterback Jamal Turner possesses the "It" factor. Turner, who arrived on campus in January, already has earned the respect of veterans, Beck said.

But what about Turner's size (he's listed at 6-foot-1, 180 pounds)? Would he be able to withstand Big Ten punishment?

For what it's worth, I set eyes on Turner on Saturday and saw a great-looking athlete. His size probably is a non-issue. And yes, no question, he has the "It" factor.

-- Turner and others likely can provide excellent competition behind returning starter Taylor Martinez. Yes, behind Martinez. Martinez should thrive in Beck's simplified system because having less verbiage and such will allow the sophomore to more freely unleash his startling quickness, speed and athleticism.

-- Projected starting running back Rex Burkhead is listed at 5-11, 210 pounds, same as last season. But he looks bigger and thicker, especially his upper body.

-- When redshirt freshman wide receiver Kenny Bell pulls off his helmet, revealing his puffed-out Afro, it evokes memories of former Nebraska defensive back Wonder Monds, a first-team All-Big Eight player in 1975. Boy, how Wonderful Monds Jr. (his full name) could fly.

-- You know what appears as natural as nature intended? Ron Brown as he coaches Nebraska running backs. Perfect.

-- One of the hardest things in sports is building a program that has little-to-no tradition. Nebraska basketball coach Doc Sadler likely would agree. Would Doc attempt a similar task at Texas Tech, where fan support is woeful? My sources tell me Doc is high on Tech's list, probably No. 1. Stay tuned.

Comment

• LJS

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said Saturday he'll meet with Doc Sadler to discuss a contract extension for the Husker men's basketball coach.

Sadler, who's completing his fifth season at Nebraska, has been rumored as a possible candidate for the coaching vacancy at Texas Tech.

Sadler said Saturday he has not been contacted by Texas Tech or spoken to anyone from the school, and he wouldn't do so without first talking to Osborne. He hopes to meet with Osborne on Monday or Tuesday.

Sadler's current contract runs through June 30, 2014, and his base salary is $800,000 a year, which ranks 10th among Big 12 Conference coaches, and would rank 11th next season among Big Ten Conference coaches.

Hired in August 2006 for $700,000 a year, Sadler received a raise and two-year contract extension in April 2008 after leading the Huskers to their first 20-win season in nine years.

Sadler is 89-70 at Nebraska, including 19-12 this season, with the Huskers awaiting a probable bid to the National Invitation Tournament. The tournament pairings will be announced Sunday at 8 p.m.

Salary isn't Sadler's biggest concern, however. Also high on his list of questions for Osborne is how long he'll remain Nebraska's athletic director, and the future of the position in general.

Osborne, hired in 2007, agreed to continue working after his original contract expired last summer. His position is now reviewed annually by Chancellor Harvey Perlman.

This coming fall, Nebraska will move into a new $18.7 million practice facility, and it will begin playing in a new downtown arena in 2013-14.

Sadler, on the road recruiting since Nebraska's loss Wednesday in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament, returned to Lincoln on Saturday in time to watch South Sioux City guard Mike Gesell, who has offers from Nebraska, Creighton and Iowa, among others. Gesell's team won the Class B state title.

Comment

Working...
                                X