No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The elite coaches are worth what they are getting paid, the successful coaches bring in TONS of revenue via ticket sales, merchandising revenue and most importantly, donations...

RR is fired as much because donations weren't coming in as he was the footballs performance on the field, of course those are correlated.

Comment

• What figures do you have to show that there was a significant drop off in donations during Richrod's tenure? Makes sense, but I haven't seen or read anything that suggested that was a factor in his firing or that the drop off was of such a significant amount to make it an issue.

Comment

• I've read as much.

Comment

• THE Ohio State University 71
          Huskerz 40

We are a hoops school now.

Comment

• What's your volleyball team doing? ;-)

Comment

• Sitting at home.
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by madootra View Post
                What's your volleyball team doing? ;-)
                Grazing on the practice fields.

Comment

• All volleyball teams are home now.

The Finals were held last month.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    We are a hoops school now.
                    Well, that's a good thing because as of January 2012, osu is certainly not a football school ...... at least not one that can claim conference Flagship status or the like nationally.

Low-riding, bottom of the barrel, not a surprising failure given their culture of cheating and me first among players .... those are descriptive terms that come to mind.

Right now, I'd say Michigan fans, the football players and coaches can claim that Flagship football team status for the conference.

Come and try to get it back.

The world has been correctly reordered.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• This is the stuff that will get you fired...

>> The most interesting interview after the game was with Corey Raymond. The secondary coach wasn’t convinced Nebraska had enough talent to beat South Carolina, especially in the secondary.
                      “Just be honest,” Raymond said. “Look at them, look at us. It’s pretty obvious.”
                      What did Raymond mean? He didn’t spell it out, but he made veiled criticisms of Nebraska’s personnel. For instance, what did he take from this game going into the offseason?
                      “Hopefully it helps recruiting. Get athletes.”
                      Was he encouraged by how NU matched up man-for-man? “Not necessarily.”
                      Raymond went on to compare the mentality of Southern players versus Nebraska’s players. His guys needed to learn how to punch back once they got “hit in the mouth.”
                      “You can’t live on what other guys have done in the past around here,” Raymond said. “You have to live on yourself…We’re not Prince. We’re not Eric Hagg. We’re not those guys. We have to do much different things. We have to work harder. We’re not the same athletes as those guys.”
                      Of course, Nebraska’s two best defensive athletes — Alfonzo Dennard and Lavonte David — are leaving.
                      ""........".....................

Guess our DB coach didn't realize most of his secondary is from the south.

Comment

• Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                          ?You have to live on yourself?We?re not Prince. We?re not Eric Hagg. We?re not those guys. We?re not the same athletes as those guys.?
                          I hear he's a beast on the basketball court (and makes a mean pancake) but he excels on the gridiron as well?

Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Paul...LMAO

Comment

• ORLANDO, Fla. — He was one of the last Huskers off the field.

Part of it no doubt was because Lavonte David was simply exhausted, the way a linebacker is after three hours of hunting prey. Part of it was because opposing players and coaches kept coming over to pat him on the shoulder pads, to pass on their admiration.

And yet another part, the toughest part for Nebraska fans, was that this was it.

One last walk with a Husker helmet in hands, head down, slow to the tunnel behind the end zone.

As he neared it, the cheers came, louder for him than anyone else. David lifted up his left hand to acknowledge.

That was goodbye.

Well, almost. He had one more thing to do as a leader of this Husker team after Monday's 30-13 Capital One Bowl loss to South Carolina.

It's something the affable, mild-mannered Miami native probably never guessed he'd be doing when he arrived to Lincoln just 18 months ago. He stood up in a disappointed locker room and gave a speech.

"I told guys I'm going to miss them so much and thanks for all they've done for me," David said.

Plenty of people would no doubt echo those sentiments in return.

Because Nebraska fans very well may never see anything quite like what David did again. In two seasons as a Husker, he accumulated 285 tackles. That's fourth on Nebraska's all-time career tackles list.

Again, in two seasons.

Someone asked him about that Monday, allowing him the opportunity to pat himself on the back if desired. He didn't take the bait.

"You got to take your hat off to the coaches and teammates for giving me the chance and believing in me," David said. "I had to earn my respect coming in here. That's something I really looked forward to trying to do and guys supported me all the way."

David had such an impact that by the end of his time at Nebraska, double-digit tackle games were just sort of expected.

David had a dozen tackles and ripped the ball out of a tight end's hands? Sounds about right.

So good was David — his game-changing forced fumble against Ohio State and his fourth-down stop against Penn State coming to mind — that it was not uncommon to hear the question asked this fall: What would this team be without Lavonte?

We're about to find out.

"Sometimes I need to take a step back and really realize the impact he's had on the program in such a short period of time," said defensive coordinator John Papuchis. "Just a great person. He's going to be deeply missed when he's no longer in our locker room. The defense runs through him and I just can't say enough positive things about Lavonte as a person and a player."

David thinks this team will be fine.

About Monday's loss: "I think we gave them a good fight, really. We shot ourselves in the foot most of the game, really. This is a game we kind of had."

Indeed, if there is a glass half-full approach to be taken in the loss, it's that Nebraska appeared every bit capable of beating an SEC team like South Carolina if it had not stepped into its own slop throughout the day.

Of course, those miscues in big games have been a recurring theme. At the end of the day, the scoreboard tells you what you are.

But maybe the biggest concern of them all is this: Nebraska was 9-4 with David and standout cornerback Alfonzo Dennard. What will the Huskers be without them in 2012?

How do you fill those two sets of cleats?

David believes guys will step up. He points at Will Compton as a leader of the linebackers. He says players like Andrew Green and Ciante Evans are gaining confidence in the secondary. "And the defensive line, they're going to be monsters next year, I think."

Maybe. But so often in 2011, it was David making the play that needed to be made. Even in a 45-17 defeat at Michigan, the one guy nobody could find a word to complain about was No. 4.

It was that way again Monday.

Typical Lavonte. Eleven tackles, two sacks.

Clock in, wreak havoc, clock out.

David said he kept his emotions in check before the game. He was too excited to play a bowl game in his home state to think about nearing the end of the road.

The realization came deep in the fourth quarter, the game having slipped away, a party breaking out on the other sideline.

"Knowing we could have had a victory, it kind of hurt me at the end," David said. "Knowing that I'm going to be leaving these guys basically forever, I might not get a chance to see them again, I kind of got emotional then."

Sometimes in sports, the story just doesn't end quite right.

And on a day of major disappointment for Husker fans, David's final step onto the team bus may have been the most difficult sight of all.

Comment

• so I talked with UNL today about parking. With the east stadium expansion, some of that parking is being eliminated. So... people are making their requests and bumping people around. I went from being in the lot I want, to know being on the bubble. Frustraing..

Comment

Working...
                                X