Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death penalty.

Comment

• SMU is playing football again, death penalty isn't severe enough.

Comment

• LOL...

thanks, today, I needed that..
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• in state talent in Nebraska was down this year, with only 4 Div 1 offers made. Here is a look at some recent misses by the UNL staffs...

OL - TCU Kyle Dooley, Papillion La Vista (Neb.) 2007 class

Dooley went on to play all four years for the Horn Frogs and started 39 games, helping them win the Rose Bowl over Wisconsin in 2010.

QB - Idaho Nathan Enderle, North Platte (Neb.)

Enderle is on the Chicago Bears roster. Nebraska passed on Enderle because they had Joah Freeman. When Freeman decommitted, Enderle would not switch to NU.

LB - Ohio Noah Keller, Kearney (Neb.)

Nebraska passed on Keller at their camp in 2006, and Frank Solich signed him. Keller has gone on to arguably be the best defensive player Solich has coached during his time at Ohio.

CB - Iowa Shaun Prater, Omaha (Neb.) Central

No Husker coach even visited Central that 2007 spring during the evaluation period, At Iowa he was an All-Big Ten selection both in 2010 and 2011.

LB - Iowa Jeff Tarpinian, Omaha (Neb.) Millard North

Nebraska passed on Tarpinian pretty early in the process and he didn't even get to camp that summer of 2005. Tarpinian went to Iowa as a linebacker and he started a few games this past season for the New England Patriots.

K - Nebraska Omaha/Missouri Western Greg Zuerlein, Lincoln (Neb.) Pius X

Zuerlein is projected to be the top kicker drafted this upcoming April. Zuerlein led the nation in field goals per game (2.30) and broke a NCAA and MIAA record with 21 consecutive field goals made this past season.

not to mention Woodhead who played in last nights super bowl..

Comment

• Steven M. Sipple: Will Huskers leave Osborne with no choice?

By Steven M. Sipple/Lincoln Journal Star

Fans filed out of the arena with hardly a peep — with what I interpreted as quiet resignation.

I've often wondered this season what Tom Osborne is thinking as he watches the Nebraska men's basketball team struggle mightily, as was the case in its 69-61 loss to Minnesota before 6,683 spectators Sunday at the Devaney Sports Center.

It appears increasingly likely that the NU athletic director could face a difficult decision regarding coach Doc Sadler's future.
            Or perhaps Nebraska essentially is making the decision for him.
            The Huskers dropped to 11-11 overall and 3-8 in the Big Ten. The Gophers (17-7, 5-6 Big Ten) shot 66.7 percent from the field in the second half as they continually drove to the basket against a defense that seemed lethargic and undisciplined.

Nebraska has dropped off defensively in its last five games — surprising for a Sadler-coached team.

His forte isn't offense. But you knew that.
            Sadler said he was disappointed his team lacked the willingness to "grind things out" on offense and defense Sunday.

"We didn't have it in us today," Sadler said. "For what reason, I have no idea."

Sadler, in his sixth year at Nebraska, too often this season has sounded like a coach without answers. He thought this would be his best team at NU. It's a veteran squad with decent talent in spots. But the Huskers have lost six home games, and Sunday's setback became unsightly in the second half as Doc's crew suffered through field-goal droughts of 5:21 and 7:32.

Osborne, in assessing Sadler this season, will weigh the impact of injuries (major factor). Tom will consider how the players are treated on a daily basis. He'll obviously consider the scholastic part. He'll take into account that Doc evidently runs a clean program.

Osborne ultimately may have to deal with Sadler's buyout, negotiated as part of a contract extension the coach received last spring. If Sadler is fired without cause, Nebraska would owe him $66,667 per month until his contract expires in June of 2016. If he's fired in March, that computes to $3.4 million.

Ask Steve Pederson and Harvey Perlman how Husker fans feel about burgeoning buyouts.
            Would the buyout alone preclude Sadler's firing? I doubt it. Osborne would have to consider how much revenue Nebraska might lose in ticket sales and elsewhere if Sadler is retained. Fans like Sadler as a person. It's hard not to. But many have lost faith in him as a coach.

Nebraska has seven regular-season games remaining. Considering center Jorge Brian Diaz's foot problems, an optimist would predict the Huskers will scratch out two more victories, leaving them 13-16 and 5-13 in the Big Ten.

Diaz's foot issues are chronic. Some speculate he may not even return to Nebraska next season. NU will lose seniors Toney McCray, Brandon Richardson, Bo Spencer and Caleb Walker — the best players other than Diaz. It's not as though any of the incoming recruits are regarded as saviors. Bottom line, the Huskers may struggle even more next season.
            Yeah, Doc appears to be in one heck of a fix. Same goes for Osborne. The last thing he wants is the perception of a stagnant program as Nebraska prepares to move into the $179 million Pinnacle Bank Arena for the 2013-14 season.

To be fair, you must leave open the possibility of Nebraska making a late surge this season. That possibility seems remote. Without Diaz, the Huskers on Sunday turned to 6-foot-4 Mike Fox of Beatrice to guard 6-11 Elliott Eliason and 6-11 Ralph Sampson III. Fox played 13 minutes and actually held up fairly well. But it's too much to ask of the kid.
            When a reporter brought up Nebraska's poor play at home, Sadler pointed out that he hasn't had his full team because of injuries. But that can't be an excuse, he said.

He seemed perplexed that his team didn't "grind it" on Sunday. I feel for Sadler. He keeps fighting. But at this point, I get the sense he's flailing away, like a boxer in desperate need of a knockout punch.
            Maybe Doc will survive and get a chance to recruit to the new arena. A coach's survival — perhaps that's what the rest of the season is about. Shouldn't we expect more than mere survival from a sixth-year coach?
            Reach Steven M. Sipple at 402-473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

Comment

• Not a good year for Doc Saddler to join the B10. It's an f'n meatgrinder.

B12 may be better at the top, but the rest of it is meh -- I mean, ISU is currently in 4th. So, I think the swtich probably hurt the Huskerz this year.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• ISU would beat UNL. Hell, nebraska couldn't beat missouri valley teams. Injuries took the life out of the team and I think they're just tired/ready for it to be over.

Comment

• They could beat Bradley! The Braves are an abomination. WOooOOOOT! War Doc!
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• ya, I guess I was thinking teams like Creighton when I said missouri valley.

they could be Bradley

Comment

• Creighton could beat half the teams in the Big Ten.

Comment

• The women's basketball team has 2 starters from the state of Nebraska. The men's team has none. When Nebraska produces Div 1 basketball talent, they don't go to UNL.

Comment

• Penn State has never competed in men's basketball since joining the Big Ten. The irony, I guess, is that outside football, women's volleyball has been he sport that both Nebraska and Penn State have excelled in in conference play.

Comment

• I think UNL is significantly better in baseball and women's basketball (I believe UNL is tied for first right now in the BIG) than PSU, but yea, it's ironic, isn't it.

Comment

• Actually, it will be very interesting to see how UNL does in baseball. That could be the sport you win your first Big ten title in because the Big Ten is not that tough a baseball conference. How crazy would fans be if Nebraska came out of the Big Ten to play in Omaha.(or it could be women's basketball) Hell, the last national championships we've won have been in softball and women's field hockey.

Comment

• Yeah, I look for Nebraska to dominate Baseball. Their biggest competition will probably be MSU. Michigan is still down, and from what I've been able to glean, they just aren't recruiting well.

Michigan Softball will be in full rebuild mode in 2012. From what I've read, their best pitcher is a true freshman. She's good, but young, of course. I look for NW to be the team to beat this year.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X